Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The new IEC Rules for WHV in Canada

The new IEC Rules for WHV in Canada

Old Jan 17th 2011, 7:48 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The new IEC Rules for WHV in Canada

Originally Posted by sarah_m
hang on. so is are you applying while your current visa is still running?
therefore, reserving the visa until your current one expires??
I haven't activated my current one yet so I don't actually have any visa at the moment.

I'm activating my 2010 one next week and I've reserved a 2011 to use after that presuming thay my application is successful.

It's OK with the T&C because I don't currently have any active visa and the application process was only failing for me when I tried to pay the registration fee as it was linking back to last year's payment system so it's more of a technical issue at their end than mine.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Have you signed up as well now by the way mate? Epic job on posting that it was now opened by the way, I wouldn't have checked until tomorrow otherwise.
Yep I was straight in there. I'm so excited and nervous at the same time. I hate spending money when I know I could save it, I.E by going direct... but as a first time traveller I didn't want to take any risks in not having a support network. Plus, I've got a visa reserved so its just a case of getting all the bits and pieces together to submit to CIC ASAP!
Old Jan 17th 2011, 7:59 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
Yep I was straight in there. I'm so excited and nervous at the same time. I hate spending money when I know I could save it, I.E by going direct... but as a first time traveller I didn't want to take any risks in not having a support network. Plus, I've got a visa reserved so its just a case of getting all the bits and pieces together to submit to CIC ASAP!
To be honest, they no longer have the monopoly and will not be permitted to be as demanding and restrictive as they have been before which, coupled with the finance form issues, makes them a good option this year.

Last year I resented having to apply through them but this year it could very well make a lot of sense and give piece of mind. Plus I will not be allowed to go through Bunac next year and will have to go through the CIC directly which meant that this made all the more sense to me.

I've got all of my stuff ready, minus the finance form, so I'm just waiting for their email tomorrow now.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

sarah_m will become famous soon enoughsarah_m will become famous soon enough

I haven't activated my current one yet so I don't actually have any visa at the moment.

I'm activating my 2010 one next week and I've reserved a 2011 to use after that presuming thay my application is successful.

It's OK with the T&C because I don't currently have any active visa and the application process was only failing for me when I tried to pay the registration fee as it was linking back to last year's payment system so it's more of a technical issue at their end than mine.
i'm really confused. so if i currently have a visa which expires march 3 2011, can i apply to Bunac and then not activate it until after 3 march? If not, i must be able to apply to the IEC - any suggestions??
Old Jan 17th 2011, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest, they no longer have the monopoly and will not be permitted to be as demanding and restrictive as they have been before which, coupled with the finance form issues, makes them a good option this year.

Last year I resented having to apply through them but this year it could very well make a lot of sense and give piece of mind. Plus I will not be allowed to go through Bunac next year and will have to go through the CIC directly which meant that this made all the more sense to me.

I've got all of my stuff ready, minus the finance form, so I'm just waiting for their email tomorrow now.
Ahh that finance form is such a pain. I'll find out tomorrow what else I need. My ACPO police check is being done as we speak. I went the slow option on that, sent away Friday 7th so I'm not expecting it back until the end of the week/into next week.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 8:07 pm
Sidecar Falcon

i'm really confused. so if i currently have a visa which expires march 3 2011, can i apply to Bunac and then not activate it until after 3 march? If not, i must be able to apply to the IEC - any suggestions??
No you can't apply to Bunac I don't think, I think you need to go directly through the CIC.

If you are currently on a work permit in Canada then you cannot apply to BUNAC until your current permit has expired.
You could theoretically register and then not submit the application form etc until after your current visa expires but that would mean that you lose your wp in Canada for a while although if your current permit expires on 3rd March then you're cutting it slightly fine by going directly through the CIC anyway.

Personally, I would say that if you already have a signed finance form then you should be able to go straight through the embassy since you're likely in a better position than 99% of potential British applicants right now.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 8:08 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Ahh that finance form is such a pain. I'll find out tomorrow what else I need. My ACPO police check is being done as we speak. I went the slow option on that, sent away Friday 7th so I'm not expecting it back until the end of the week/into next week.
Well I think the finance form will be less of a problem with this lot and we should just be OK to submit a bank statement or something, if indeed any financial proof is required at all at the application stage since Bunac will technically be acting as the sponsor.

Have you had any confirmation email or anything from Bunac by the way? All I have is the PayPal email and the online status has been updated.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

No you can't apply to Bunac I don't think, I think you need to go directly through the CIC.

You could theoretically register and then not submit the application form etc until after your current visa expires but that would mean that you lose your wp in Canada for a while although if your current permit expires on 3rd March then you're cutting it slightly fine by going directly through the CIC anyway.

Personally, I would say that if you already have a signed finance form then you should be able to go straight through the embassy since you're likely in a better position than 99% of potential British applicants right now.
what do you mean i'm cutting it fine if my visa expires 3 march 2011?
bunac had previously suggested that i could wait until my current visa expires before applying for my new one. I had it all planned out - i'm returning to the uk for a month then will be volunteering for 1 month for free then after my visa processes (6-8weeks) i'll cross the border to america then re-enter to reactivate my new one. so is this still an option do you think?
Old Jan 17th 2011, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

tee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Mate I think that's a big assumption and i'd prob check with them tmoro. You dont want to be left with no visa and out of pocket too. I'm pretty sure bunacs t&c state that you can only be registered to take part on one program at a time.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tee1
Mate I think that's a big assumption and i'd prob check with them tmoro. You dont want to be left with no visa and out of pocket too. I'm pretty sure bunacs t&c state that you can only be registered to take part on one program at a time.
but i think having a visa reserved isn't the same as being registered (that happens when you start the application process)..i definitely got told by bunac that it was fine before but maybe the rules have changed...
Old Jan 17th 2011, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

but i think having a visa reserved isn't the same as being registered (that happens when you start the application process)..i definitely got told by bunac that it was fine before but maybe the rules have changed...
But to have a visa reserved you have to register and pay the £254. There is no other way to get the visa through BUNAC, they wont reserve without you paying that sum. As soon as you pay that £254 you are starting a new BUNAC scheme, which is against their T's and C's if you currently have an active visa.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 9:42 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by tee1
I don't think that's the case and I did check through the T&C before I registered but I will give them a call tomorrow to be sure.

I've looked on their facebook page and quite a few people have had to do what I did because the message I received was due to a system error where it was trying to take a payment for last year's program.

The T&C's state that you can't sign up for this if you're currently there on a visa and will then produce a blocking message when you try to sign up, like Sarah_m received but I don't think my case is any different to if I signed up on the previous program and then chose not to use my letter but am then still eligible under the new rules.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 9:44 pm
Sidecar Falcon

But to have a visa reserved you have to register and pay the £254. There is no other way to get the visa through BUNAC, they wont reserve without you paying that sum. As soon as you pay that £254 you are starting a new BUNAC scheme, which is against their T's and C's if you currently have an active visa.
I think this is the key really, if you have an active visa then they will prevent you from signing up for 2011 as it breaks their terms but if your visa from last year has either not been activated yet or has expired then you're eligible.

It's a bit silly really as you're not breaking the CIC's rules by applying whilst on an active WHV, only Bunac's.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

I think this is the key really, if you have an active visa then they will prevent you from signing up for 2011 as it breaks their terms but if your visa from last year has either not been activated yet or has expired then you're eligible.

It's a bit silly really as you're not breaking the CIC's rules by applying whilst on an active WHV, only Bunac's.
but i thought i read on the iec page that having a letter saying you can fly to canada and start your visa means you are taking part in the visa. I've seen before people that decided to not fly even though they were issued their letter and that still counted as a visa..

so my question is this - if bunac terms and conditions don't allow me to get a visa - will the iec allow it?
Old Jan 17th 2011, 9:52 pm
Sidecar Falcon

but i thought i read on the iec page that having a letter saying you can fly to canada and start your visa means you are taking part in the visa. I've seen before people that decided to not fly even though they were issued their letter and that still counted as a visa..

so my question is this - if bunac terms and conditions don't allow me to get a visa - will the iec allow it?
The IEC will allow it in your case as far as I can see.

A letter of introduction is not the same as a visa, you are technically still applying for the visa at PoE when you land.

The CIC consider a visa spent when a LoI is issued to prevent people clogging up the system by repeatedly applying every year and then backing out after the letter has been issued.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.