Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

New to Halifax, NS

New to Halifax, NS

Old Oct 15th 2019, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

mush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default New to Halifax, NS

Hi all....some of you might remember one of my older posts, trying to decide between the UK and NS, well, I decided on NS and I love it here!

I have a few questions for any fellow NS people on here...
- are there any stores that sell british goods in Dartmouth/Halifax area?
- any people that want to meet up in person and talk about life in Canada or just chat in general and make a new friend? I’m 37, single, live in eastern passage now, and have lived in Canada for 8 years, just got my citizenship this year, and looking to vote for the first time next week 😊
- any secret places that aren’t on the tourist radar that you’d recommend (although I like the touristy stuff too)
- any other advise while living here?

thanks in advance 😊
Old Oct 16th 2019, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to Halifax, NS

Congratulations on getting your citizenship.

I don't live in NS, but we have visited frequently over the last 20 years.

I used to love going to the Lobster Pound in Halls Harbour when we came "in season", choosing my own lobster from the tank, having it cooked while we waited, sitting outside or under the marquee and watching the tidal flow into the harbour while we ate the lobster either with loads of butter or just lemon slices. They also make (or made) pretty good 'burgers according to the one member who hates lobster.

It was pretty quiet there out of high season.

Winery crawls up in the Annapolis Valley and elsewhere in NS ............ lots of wineries have started up in the last 20 years.
Old Oct 16th 2019, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

mush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Congratulations on getting your citizenship.

I don't live in NS, but we have visited frequently over the last 20 years.

I used to love going to the Lobster Pound in Halls Harbour when we came "in season", choosing my own lobster from the tank, having it cooked while we waited, sitting outside or under the marquee and watching the tidal flow into the harbour while we ate the lobster either with loads of butter or just lemon slices. They also make (or made) pretty good 'burgers according to the one member who hates lobster.

It was pretty quiet there out of high season.

Winery crawls up in the Annapolis Valley and elsewhere in NS ............ lots of wineries have started up in the last 20 years.

Hey...thanks I’ll definitely check that the lobster pound in halls harbour. I’ve taken a drive down the valley, it’s beautiful that way, I’ll definitely be going back in the summer for sure 😊
Old Oct 16th 2019, 12:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mush77

Hey...thanks I’ll definitely check that the lobster pound in halls harbour. I’ve taken a drive down the valley, it’s beautiful that way, I’ll definitely be going back in the summer for sure 😊
Doesn't Pete's (footique or frootique or something) keep British goods? Limited selection at premium prices no doubt but if you've got to have beans from a ring pull tin you've got to have them. Also Loblaws is good at tailoring to ethnic ghettoes, the one in Fergus(ON) has shortbread and mackerel and haggis as well as Marmite. Maybe try Fall River or somewhere like that?
Old Oct 16th 2019, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
Doesn't Pete's (footique or frootique or something) keep British goods? Limited selection at premium prices no doubt but if you've got to have beans from a ring pull tin you've got to have them. Also Loblaws is good at tailoring to ethnic ghettoes, the one in Fergus(ON) has shortbread and mackerel and haggis as well as Marmite. Maybe try Fall River or somewhere like that?
Yes, Pete’s finefoods does have a selection...thank you! Ontario has a huge selection of different british stores, so I was wondering if they had the same here.

As for beans...it’s not about the ring pull, it’s the same with a lot of british foods, it’s about the taste, sometimes I miss a little bit of food from home so it’s nice to have the option!
Old Oct 16th 2019, 1:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mush77

As for beans...it’s not about the ring pull, it’s the same with a lot of british foods, it’s about the taste, sometimes I miss a little bit of food from home so it’s nice to have the option!
Oh, I understand, I recently paid Bristol's weekly food budget for a packet of Cadbury's Giant Buttons at one of the competing British food shops near here.
Old Oct 16th 2019, 1:41 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Petes Frootique in Halifax and Bedford.
Also check out your local Sobeys - mine here in NL has a small "international" foods selection containing UK chocolate, baked beans and other comestibles. You might, if you look, find something at Wallymart as well.
Old Oct 16th 2019, 1:42 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I understand, I recently paid Bristol's weekly food budget for a packet of Cadbury's Giant Buttons at one of the competing British food shops near here.
The big bags of Cadburys buttons one can buy in Loblaws, Shoppers etc. They are imported from the UK and thus decent chocolate. No need to go to expensive "taste of blighty guv'nor" stores for that!
Old Oct 16th 2019, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

Hahahaha that made me laugh...it sucks doesn’t it 🤣
Old Oct 16th 2019, 2:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
The big bags of Cadburys buttons one can buy in Loblaws, Shoppers etc. They are imported from the UK and thus decent chocolate. No need to go to expensive "taste of blighty guv'nor" stores for that!
But "Giant Buttons"? I needed Giant Buttons. Ordinary buttons, well, yes, they're everywhere.
Old Oct 16th 2019, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

But "Giant Buttons"? I needed Giant Buttons. Ordinary buttons, well, yes, they're everywhere.
Hahaha Ohhh I get it completely...my thing is salt and vinegar hula hoops, everyone always says ‘but you can just get regular salt and vinegar chips’ but ITS NOT THE SAME 🤣
Old Oct 16th 2019, 3:42 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I found smokey bacon crisps the other day - in Freshco - they seem to have quite an assortment of 'international' foods..

For chocolate and biscuits you could try your local Bulkbarn (yes, there are 3 in NS) - they have proper picked onions and Roses Lime marmalade as well..
https://www.bulkbarn.ca/en/Products/.../International

If you are really desperate you could order your hula hoops from
https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=hula+hoops+salt+and+vinegar&ref=nb_sb_noss

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 16th 2019 at 3:47 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2019, 3:49 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear.. you didn't remember that you can buy them on https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=cadbury+giant+buttons&crid=YBOIA2J7C38A&sprefix=giant+cadbury+%2Caps%2C251&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_14

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 16th 2019 at 3:53 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2019, 4:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Siouxie

Oh dear, when one needs a foodstuff, one needs a foodstuff. One does not need to be told it's in stock for immediate delivery at the cost of a carbon footprint equal to commuting by Jaguar only to be advised three months later that they never really had one and here's the money back. Amazon is, in my estimation, as bad a company as WalMart.
Old Oct 16th 2019, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I found smokey bacon crisps the other day - in Freshco - they seem to have quite an assortment of 'international' foods..

For chocolate and biscuits you could try your local Bulkbarn (yes, there are 3 in NS) - they have proper picked onions and Roses Lime marmalade as well..
https://www.bulkbarn.ca/en/Products/.../International

If you are really desperate you could order your hula hoops from
https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=hula+hoops...ref=nb_sb_noss
walmart is starting to get a fairly decent selection too, sobeys in Ontario was getting better...
i’ve never thought to even try bulk barn...I will now though, thanks 😊
as for amazon...those prices are always crazy, but sometimes I have been known to be desperate 🤣 haha thanks for your help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.