Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

new to flying, could do with some help/advise

new to flying, could do with some help/advise

Old Oct 31st 2017, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new to flying, could do with some help/advise

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Was your bag in the Customs Hall as it would have been offloaded to change planes. Did you take the bag off a carousel within the Customs Hall and put it on a connector belt also within the Customs Hall?
No. Didn't touch my bag in Toronto at all.

If CBSA had asked to see your bags what would you have done?
I presume they would have gone and got it, just as the US Pre-clearance folks do in Vancouver.

I was explicitly told that I didn't have to collect my bags by Air Canada, and double-checked with the Air Canada ground staff in the customs hall before I left it. No need to collect my bags, they said, they'd go direct to Saskatoon.

And they did.

Edit: in fact, I think I also asked the CBSA guy as I handed over my card at the exit, and he said the same.

Last edited by MarkG; Oct 31st 2017 at 7:08 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 7:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat075 is an unknown quantity at this point

Haven’t had chance to read all the recent replies as this thread has become rather large! I’m now in Canada flew in yesterday, so the process I went through at Toronto was:

- no declaration card on the plane (WestJet no longer does it this way it seems) followed everyone off the plane, filled in the declaration on one of the machines (lots of people had a card filled in but still had to do it on the machines)

- queued for passport check, then directed into the immigration section to get my visa (hour wait at least but took like 2 minutes to process once seen)

- collected my bags afterwards (took so long westjet collected the uncollected bags and had them at their desk next to the belts)

- followed the purple line to the connection area where i then dropped the bags off on the connecting belt

- went back through departures and security check then to my gate.

Was all pretty simple in the end had no problems, 4hr 40minute layover was only just long enough, bit of a delay on the first flight and all the queues meant I had about half hour to spare when I got to the gate for my next flight (I didn’t stop for anything either was trying to get to the gate as quick as possible), so I’d say you need minimum 4hrs to safely get through everything if you need to get a visa as well

I must say I flew westjet plus, 100% worth paying the extra! Was a great flight big chairs loads of room, complimentary meals and drinks (were actually really nice! I was stuffed by the end), free tablet to watch films etc, £8.49 for WiFi for the entire flight and was a good speed too. great service all round felt like an exspensive first class flight! The connecting domestic flight was still ok, smaller plane still had quite a lot of room. Highly recommend the plus option though if you fly on their bigger planes with 3 rows - Boeing 767-300 I believe.
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 8:27 pm
Chips & Gravy

jennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pinnacle
Haven’t had chance to read all the recent replies as this thread has become rather large! I’m now in Canada flew in yesterday, so the process I went through at Toronto was:

- no declaration card on the plane (WestJet no longer does it this way it seems) followed everyone off the plane, filled in the declaration on one of the machines (lots of people had a card filled in but still had to do it on the machines)

- queued for passport check, then directed into the immigration section to get my visa (hour wait at least but took like 2 minutes to process once seen)

- collected my bags afterwards (took so long westjet collected the uncollected bags and had them at their desk next to the belts)

- followed the purple line to the connection area where i then dropped the bags off on the connecting belt

- went back through departures and security check then to my gate.

Was all pretty simple in the end had no problems, 4hr 40minute layover was only just long enough, bit of a delay on the first flight and all the queues meant I had about half hour to spare when I got to the gate for my next flight (I didn’t stop for anything either was trying to get to the gate as quick as possible), so I’d say you need minimum 4hrs to safely get through everything if you need to get a visa as well

I must say I flew westjet plus, 100% worth paying the extra! Was a great flight big chairs loads of room, complimentary meals and drinks (were actually really nice! I was stuffed by the end), free tablet to watch films etc, £8.49 for WiFi for the entire flight and was a good speed too. great service all round felt like an exspensive first class flight! The connecting domestic flight was still ok, smaller plane still had quite a lot of room. Highly recommend the plus option though if you fly on their bigger planes with 3 rows - Boeing 767-300 I believe.
Glad to hear it all went well for you!