Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

New citizen credit

New citizen credit

Old Feb 1st 2020, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

DarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New citizen credit

Yes, I did some prior reading here and on varying websites but most people moving to Canada have not been given a newcomers pack, not for those who are citizens. In my situation, it appears as though it is different though. I'll keep the thread posted because it's useful.

Thank you so much for the reply very helpful.
Old Feb 2nd 2020, 10:03 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DarwinCharles
Yes, I did some prior reading here and on varying websites but most people moving to Canada have not been given a newcomers pack, not for those who are citizens. In my situation, it appears as though it is different though. I'll keep the thread posted because it's useful.

Thank you so much for the reply very helpful.
I received a newcomer pack at the airport when I landed however those benefits and welcome programs are for new immigrants, not returning citizens which is technically what you would be even if you'd never set foot in Canada before.

Likewise the initial help schemes for filing taxes for the first time etc as a "New Canadian" will not apply to you. You're a not a new Canadian in the true sense of the word. You were always Canadian it was just that it took you some time to exercise your rights as a Canadian.
Old Feb 2nd 2020, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

DarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I received a newcomer pack at the airport when I landed however those benefits and welcome programs are for new immigrants, not returning citizens which is technically what you would be even if you'd never set foot in Canada before.

Likewise the initial help schemes for filing taxes for the first time etc as a "New Canadian" will not apply to you. You're a not a new Canadian in the true sense of the word. You were always Canadian it was just that it took you some time to exercise your rights as a Canadian.
I have explained this to BMO. The current law does not recognise me as a natural born Canadian that was always Canadian. The law denied female Canadians- the right to pass on citizenship. There are so very many quirks to it and that particular law still stands today. The political group and Gov are in talks to end this problem. The IRCC gave me and my siblings citizenship but not retroactively. We were born to a Canadian father and British mother in the UK and when he began to work in Canada - we had to remain in England.

I will probably call BMO on Monday about this as I can't be a returning citizen since I was never legally one - even though that actually broke laws Canada had signed up to. I've done citizenship law for over 12 years now and the IRCC didn't even realise just how their policies broke Canadas laws. They now discuss cases with us. Hopefully, the quirks will change but it's taking each small detail - years.

You can check out Lost Canadians. If anything interests you. It affects more than anyone realises, both Canadians born in and out of Canada, including a few MPs.

I'll get back to you with info.