Wikiposts

New Career

Old Feb 28th 2005, 12:40 am
It's Worth Waiting For

Location: Oakworth, West Yorkshire(Nr Haworth, Bronte country)
Julie & Andy will become famous soon enoughJulie & Andy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New Career

Quite afew people I have spoken to have heard approx 3-4 months after medicals. So you never know.Didn't you send your police checks with app?
We are AOR 10Aug04 so abit of a way to go yet but your time scale gives some hope.
Originally Posted by Airseir
Skilled worker.

we ahve now done medicals and police checks so are waiting for visas or rejection.

[/QUOTE]
Old Feb 28th 2005, 1:09 am
Guinness is good for you.

Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of

With our Apps we were only asked to sign a declaration that people could look into our ploice records. It was not until after the interview waiver that medical and police checks were required. I have heard that police checks are only valid for one year like medical checks. only took 3 weeks for police check to be performed and £10 data protection fee so that was back before we could get a medical check - 2 month waiting list for medicals.

my advise is plan for the worst prepare for the best - the one that you didnt plan for will be the one that gets you.

Originally Posted by Julie & Andy
Quite afew people I have spoken to have heard approx 3-4 months after medicals. So you never know.Didn't you send your police checks with app?
We are AOR 10Aug04 so abit of a way to go yet but your time scale gives some hope.
[/QUOTE]
Old Feb 28th 2005, 1:17 am
It's Worth Waiting For

Location: Oakworth, West Yorkshire(Nr Haworth, Bronte country)
Julie & Andy will become famous soon enoughJulie & Andy will become famous soon enough

Probably changed then as we as per cic forms, sent our police checks that were done for the £10 with our application. I know the medicals only last for 1 year. Yets hope you hear something soon.Waiting lists,doesn't surprise me they should have more Gp's able to do them. Good luck
With our Apps we were only asked to sign a declaration that people could look into our ploice records. It was not until after the interview waiver that medical and police checks were required. I have heard that police checks are only valid for one year like medical checks. only took 3 weeks for police check to be performed and £10 data protection fee so that was back before we could get a medical check - 2 month waiting list for medicals.

my advise is plan for the worst prepare for the best - the one that you didnt plan for will be the one that gets you.
[/QUOTE]
Old Feb 28th 2005, 1:34 am
Guinness is good for you.

Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of

Sounds like it must have changed.

Good luck for yours as well.

Originally Posted by Julie & Andy
Probably changed then as we as per cic forms, sent our police checks that were done for the £10 with our application. I know the medicals only last for 1 year. Yets hope you hear something soon.Waiting lists,doesn't surprise me they should have more Gp's able to do them. Good luck
[/QUOTE]
Old Feb 28th 2005, 7:11 am
Moved from Chester UK

IckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: New Career

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
A few years ago I considered becoming a nutritionist, so I have some info. The term "nutritionist" has variable recognition in Canada -- depending on the province. In some provinces anyone can say "I'm an nutritionist," in other provinces only specifically qualified people can - often "registered nutritionist." I believe Alberta falls into the later category.

There are also dietitians - only specifically qualified people can call themselves dietitians, in Canada as a whole, but they are regulated provincially. Dietitians and registered nutritionists generally do a BSc Nutritional Sciences or something similar and have to meet some requirements to join a governing organization.

Dietitians are more formally recognized in Canada but a lot of people (both lay people and other nuritionists) see them as mere mouthpieces of the various dairy, meat, wheat etc.. marketing boards and so prefer to see 'registered nutritionist' or practise as one. I personally have no strong opinons either way about this - I am not really up to speed on the arguments.

For more see http://www.dietitians.ca/ there are a lot of links to further provincial regulatory bodies, universities, training programs etc...

I'm not sure what the job market is like -- when I was thinking about becoming a nutritionist I imagined working on my own (self-employed). Also, I haven't pursue the idea, mainly because I just have so many other things happening not because I think it would have been a futile career choice. I may actually get to it one day...

I would probably contact the Alberta governing body of dietitians and or nutritionists and see what they say. Good luck.
Thanks for the useful advice.

I too would like to work for myself, but really wondered if there was much of a market for it (in Calgary in particular).

Cheers
Old Feb 28th 2005, 8:18 am
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

They do still ask for police checks on the CIC website.
However with the time factors involverd now, It seems silly to ask for something that will expire in a year when the are telling people 21 months minimum wait now. So maybe they are not worrying quite so much now, until final stage?

Sounds like it must have changed.

Good luck for yours as well.
[/QUOTE]
Old Feb 28th 2005, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

Tantallon7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't get police checks until you hear from CIC; that is, until you've received your IA (Initial Assessment).

My consultants told me this, since they are only good for a year ( the police checks) so if you get them done now, you'll almost certainly have to get them done again, after your IA

Last edited by Tantallon7; Feb 28th 2005 at 8:40 am.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 9:09 pm
Faire de la *fluff fluff*

Fluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura aboutFluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura aboutFluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by IckleHelen
Hi,

I currently work in IT, though I haven't really got much experience. Given what I have read on this forum, I don't really fancy my chances (when/if we get accepted in two years time) of being able to find a job in this field in Canada.

I've been looking at some sites on the internet to see if I could maybe do a distance learning course accredited in Canada (before we land). I am really interested in diet and nutrition - Does any one know what the job market is like in this area? Also I don't know what qualifications are of good standing - does anyone know where I could find out?

Thanks All
Helen

BTW - Could someone tell me what 'AOR' stands for?
If I were you I'd do some research about long distance learning - lots of places don't accept such diplomas - it would be vital to see where you could work FIRST and inform regarding such education. It would save you a lot of hassle.
The reason I know this is that in Holland (where I currently live) there are tons of adverts for long distance learning - even to be a teacher - and this is not accepted in Ontario at all (to be a teacher).
Fluffy