Wikiposts

New to Canada

Old May 9th 2012, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to Canada

Originally Posted by betty boop005
Anyone missing fish and chips
Yes, yes, yes, yes! That, and British style curry, are pretty much the only two things I find myself pining for. It's possible to get approximations to both, but they're not the same.
Old May 9th 2012, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

carley_jackson will become famous soon enough

You can pick Ribena up too for about $9 in Loblaws .

Don't you find that tastes weird though? I think it is better in cartons
Old May 10th 2012, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by carley_jackson
You can pick Ribena up too for about $9 in Loblaws .

Don't you find that tastes weird though? I think it is better in cartons
Not bought any to be honest. For that price I can get a different bottle of red at the LCBO,
Old May 10th 2012, 9:03 am
Account Closed

betty boop005 is an unknown quantity at this point

Went to Loblaws and thought it was good and got Ribena..Woohoo!!...going to try out Sobeys this weekend for the grocery shop. Wanted to get some wine but they don't sell alcohol in supermarkets ...
Old May 10th 2012, 9:04 am
Account Closed

betty boop005 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Pdarwin, we live close to Centrum shopping centre. We have not explored the area properly yet planning to do this weekend. We saw a place called Digby's selling "all you can eat" fish and chips while driving past. Is that the place you were referring to? Miss our local chippy back home in the UK. Where about in Kanata are you located?.
Old May 10th 2012, 9:12 am
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pdarwin, we live close to Centrum shopping centre. We have not explored the area properly yet planning to do this weekend. We saw a place called Digby's selling "all you can eat" fish and chips while driving past. Is that the place you were referring to? Miss our local chippy back home in the UK. Where about in Kanata are you located?.
Hi - we're also close to Centrum. Near Gabriel's Pizza, off Goldridge.
Yes, Digby's was the place.
Old May 10th 2012, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

Went to Loblaws and thought it was good and got Ribena..Woohoo!!...going to try out Sobeys this weekend for the grocery shop. Wanted to get some wine but they don't sell alcohol in supermarkets ...
Nope no alcohol in supermarkets. You'll need the LCBO or beer store for that. Also you might want to consider crossing over to Quebec if you need lots of alcohol, I found it to be cheaper for beer!!!
Old May 10th 2012, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pdarwin
Hi - we're also close to Centrum. Near Gabriel's Pizza, off Goldridge.
Yes, Digby's was the place.
Oh I would give my right arm for a Gabriel pizza! Sod the fish and chips lol.
Old May 10th 2012, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

dartd27 is an unknown quantity at this point

They sell Ribena in Safeway here but its the Canadian version and doesnt taste the same. I live close to Calgary. Moved here 7 years ago from Essex.

A local chemist out here (pharmacy whatever they call it), has a woman running it who is from Ireland originally. There are a ton of Brits here. The town over from me Okotoks they call little Britain as its full of English cops who have moved over. So she started importing the lot. Bit pricey but can get curry sauce, R Whites, Real Ribena, Galaxy, pot noodeles, monster munch, pretty much every kind of chocolate bar you can think of (the chocolate here sucks!)), horseradish, pickle (the North American version has weird cr*p in it), lucozade, cherry coke, angel delight and pretty much anything you want as she will order it in.

Our local Bulk Barn carries a few bits as well. Safeway here carry Marmite as well. I fancied some Jakobs crackers the other day and hadnt seen them anywhere. Then they just appeared randomly in our local Esso! Went very nice with my cheese and pickle

Still cant find a decent fish and chip shop or a decent Indian though.
Personally i still prefer the UK to here and love it when we go back home.

The weather here when it snows is horrible but its nearly always sunny.
The people are very nice as well.
Old May 11th 2012, 12:17 am
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I would give my right arm for a Gabriel pizza! Sod the fish and chips lol.
The Gabriel's Pizza I mentioned is a 30-second walk from my house and in the 10 years we've lived in this house I've been to Gabriel's once. Not a great fan of pizza. Digby's fish & chips gets visited more often.
Old May 11th 2012, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Nope no alcohol in supermarkets. You'll need the LCBO or beer store for that. Also you might want to consider crossing over to Quebec if you need lots of alcohol, I found it to be cheaper for beer!!!
Some Loblaws have a 'Wine Rack' shop in them. I think the catch is that they can only sell Canadian wines / wine blended with Canadian wine.

Regarding going over to Quebec to buy your beer, it's only really worth it if you drink a specific brand that you know to be cheaper over there, and you buy in bulk. We saved about $15 on a 24 case of Corona last week.

Oh and remember, the advertised price on beer in Quebec doesn't include tax or deposit (like in Ontario), so you have to factor that into a supposedly good price too.
Old May 11th 2012, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wolstie
Some Loblaws have a 'Wine Rack' shop in them. I think the catch is that they can only sell Canadian wines / wine blended with Canadian wine.

Regarding going over to Quebec to buy your beer, it's only really worth it if you drink a specific brand that you know to be cheaper over there, and you buy in bulk. We saved about $15 on a 24 case of Corona last week.

Oh and remember, the advertised price on beer in Quebec doesn't include tax or deposit (like in Ontario), so you have to factor that into a supposedly good price too.
And you can buy your beer in grocery store in Quebec too, and be 18
Old May 11th 2012, 12:46 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Buy beer on the Quebec side. It's way cheaper than in Ontario and it doesn't really matter where you go. Pretty much all places sell beer at the lowest price allowed by law, so there is virtually no competition. Buy 24s. Smaller packs are a rip-off.

We buy all our wine at the SAQ Depot, which is just behind the Portage complex. We get through a lot of wine, so we buy by the case. You get a 15% discount at the Depot when you do that. The range of wine on offer is huge.
Old May 11th 2012, 12:49 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolstie

As I recall from when I lived in Ontario, the supermarkets can have franchises for individual Canadian wineries.
Old May 11th 2012, 12:58 am
Slob

And you can buy your beer in grocery store in Quebec too, and be 18
You can buy it in most gas stations. My local one probably sells as much beer as gas (in addition to plonk and tart fuel). They open late and on public holidays, so you're not stuffed like you would be in Ontario, if you run out of booze on Xmas Day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.