Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

New Brunswick what's it like?

New Brunswick what's it like?

Old Dec 24th 2008, 12:09 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Brunswick what's it like?

Originally Posted by pennyhp
OK

Please can we draw a line under the have not province thing now.

I really really really didn't mean to start a row!!!

Poor creamtea hasn't ventured another post yet.

Lets all play nice.
Yer meanie.
Old Dec 24th 2008, 12:55 pm

marclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to all

Well, we are making Fredi our home next year. I have traveled from west coast to east, and it really is the most desirable little town.

The family loved it, my eldest spent the day at the high school, and cant wait.

The town market is buzzing, costco is coming next year, the place is growing at a nice rate.

The local natural beauty is stunning, I know people who have houses downtown, but have holiday/weekend homes only 30-40 miles away.

It is a little odd that the main employers in Fredi are the provincial government and the 2 universities, maybe that changes the dynamic of the place.

It is also very cultural, the playhouse has ever changing performances, Regular concerts in officers square, jazz festival each year brings people from all over.

Its really worth a visit on your reccie.
Old Dec 24th 2008, 1:18 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marclouis
Well, we are making Fredi our home next year. I have traveled from west coast to east, and it really is the most desirable little town.

The family loved it, my eldest spent the day at the high school, and cant wait.

The town market is buzzing, costco is coming next year, the place is growing at a nice rate.

The local natural beauty is stunning, I know people who have houses downtown, but have holiday/weekend homes only 30-40 miles away.

It is a little odd that the main employers in Fredi are the provincial government and the 2 universities, maybe that changes the dynamic of the place.

It is also very cultural, the playhouse has ever changing performances, Regular concerts in officers square, jazz festival each year brings people from all over.

Its really worth a visit on your reccie.
Let us know when you arrive and we can connect you with the Newcomers club to help you find things / deal with crazy stuff that drives you nuts for the first 6-12 months. Plus provide a ready made network of people to connect into. (so important in small towns/cities like Fredericton)
Old Dec 24th 2008, 1:22 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
Let us know when you arrive and we can connect you with the Newcomers club to help you find things / deal with crazy stuff that drives you nuts for the first 6-12 months. Plus provide a ready made network of people to connect into. (so important in small towns/cities like Fredericton)
Especially Fredericton.
Old Dec 24th 2008, 1:33 pm

marclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
Let us know when you arrive...
Yes, will be pleased to, I have been a bit shy to talk about our plans, but now i have PNP Approval letter in my hand (came yesterday), we are all a little braver. Will probably wait till July 09 for the move so kids can start a new school year. So hopefully will have PR by then. I guess all dependant on selling home or renting it out, very hard to make plans with whats going on.
Old Dec 24th 2008, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

helcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by creamtea
Hi, I am thinking of relocating from North Alberta to New Brunswick - any advice on the best places to live, what it's like for schooling, family life etc? For work purposes what are the building merchants like for stock especially - is it easy to get hold of hardwoods? Thanks.
Hi - My family (5 of us) moved out here in Sep 07, and we're so glad we made the move. The kids love their new school and have made plenty of friends. There are plenty of things to keep them (and us!) busy. All three are involved in Sparks, Guides and Cubs (and I'm now a Cub leader, which has been another great way to meet new people and make more friends). There are lots of organised activities and after school programs. In the summer they can canoe, kayak and swim in local lakes, as well as all the hikings trails and camp sites that are available. In the winter we have plenty of snow with skiing at Crabbe Mountain around 45km away, as well as skating (indoor and outdoor) and sledging etc.

My wife and I both landed jobs quickly (IT and Accountancy) and are both enjoying our jobs. I get 20 days vacation and my wife 15, which isn't so bad once you've been here and got used to the idea, especially as you're usually home by 5.00 everyday! If you can get away early on a Friday then you can get right into the weekend.

I really think it is a great place to live. Of course it's not perfect, there is still crime (although not much) and the usual poverty etc, but on the whole most people seem happy to live here (and of course it helps hugely if you have a job that you're happy in). I've found that one of the things that takes some getting used to is that almost everything you do will be Fredericton, simply because to takes too long to go anywhere else. Saint John is the next big city, which is just under an hour away. Moncton is next at 2 - 2.5 hours.

Take Dave's advice and contact the newcomers club when you make the move. You'll get to meet loads of new people, but it'll also be a great place for advice and for asking questions to help the transition to your new life here. We're glad that we did.

keeps us posted and good luck with everything!

Colin and Helen.
Old Dec 24th 2008, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

creamtea is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by helcol
Hi - My family (5 of us) moved out here in Sep 07, and we're so glad we made the move. The kids love their new school and have made plenty of friends. There are plenty of things to keep them (and us!) busy. All three are involved in Sparks, Guides and Cubs (and I'm now a Cub leader, which has been another great way to meet new people and make more friends). There are lots of organised activities and after school programs. In the summer they can canoe, kayak and swim in local lakes, as well as all the hikings trails and camp sites that are available. In the winter we have plenty of snow with skiing at Crabbe Mountain around 45km away, as well as skating (indoor and outdoor) and sledging etc.

My wife and I both landed jobs quickly (IT and Accountancy) and are both enjoying our jobs. I get 20 days vacation and my wife 15, which isn't so bad once you've been here and got used to the idea, especially as you're usually home by 5.00 everyday! If you can get away early on a Friday then you can get right into the weekend.

I really think it is a great place to live. Of course it's not perfect, there is still crime (although not much) and the usual poverty etc, but on the whole most people seem happy to live here (and of course it helps hugely if you have a job that you're happy in). I've found that one of the things that takes some getting used to is that almost everything you do will be Fredericton, simply because to takes too long to go anywhere else. Saint John is the next big city, which is just under an hour away. Moncton is next at 2 - 2.5 hours.

Take Dave's advice and contact the newcomers club when you make the move. You'll get to meet loads of new people, but it'll also be a great place for advice and for asking questions to help the transition to your new life here. We're glad that we did.

keeps us posted and good luck with everything!

Colin and Helen.
Well thanks everyone for replying to my thread, will be visiting the area next spring/summer to check it out. Sounds like a great place to live and that those of you who live there love it. Merry Christmas to you all. Tracey & Family (creamtea).