Reload this Page >

New Brunswick and Employment

New Brunswick and Employment

Old Feb 17th 2019, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

mrsBell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Brunswick and Employment

Hello all,

I’ve been searching for the answers to my questions and couldn’t find the information I’m looking for.

My family and I are thinking of moving to New Brunswick, we currently live in France but are from the UK. I am able to apply on the fast track immigration system as I am a Primary/special education teacher.

I know that I need to have my teaching certificates translated/converted by the local authority which isn’t an issue. I plan to do this.

However, where do you look for jobs? I’m looking at the four main towns in New Brunswick and I’ve tried Indeed and such. Is there are specific website for state educational teachers?

My husband is a forklift driver (with other bits I don’t understand) what realistically is the job market like for jobs such as this?

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 17th 2019, 2:46 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Brunswick and Employment

Government of NB Some further links on that page including the two school authorities - Anglo and Franco

Try Wow

also fork lift search

I have no expertise in this area, just some examples I googled.

Workopolis may be worth trying for both
Old Feb 17th 2019, 3:07 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE! Just out of interest have you visited New Brunswick before?
Old Feb 17th 2019, 5:45 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrsBell
Hello all,

I’ve been searching for the answers to my questions and couldn’t find the information I’m looking for.

My family and I are thinking of moving to New Brunswick, we currently live in France but are from the UK. I am able to apply on the fast track immigration system as I am a Primary/special education teacher.

I know that I need to have my teaching certificates translated/converted by the local authority which isn’t an issue. I plan to do this.

However, where do you look for jobs? I’m looking at the four main towns in New Brunswick and I’ve tried Indeed and such. Is there are specific website for state educational teachers?

My husband is a forklift driver (with other bits I don’t understand) what realistically is the job market like for jobs such as this?

Thanks in advance.

Hello and welcome to BE!

I'm a little confused by your statement that you believe you can get fast-tracked for PR.. could you give the link to where you found that information as I couldn't see anything on the NB website and it would be very unusual that a teacher would be fast tracked.. https://www.welcomenb.ca/content/wel...migrating.html

Or do you mean through the Atlantic Pilot Program? There are 2 schools on the approved employer list. https://www.welcomenb.ca/content/wel...t_Project.html

Rothesay Netherwood School - Has only 1 job posting https://schooladvice.net/careers/ass...erwood-school/
Anglophone South School District - Has very few jobs available and what they have appear to be mainly for internal candidates. ASD-S | Opportunities

Certification as a teacher is done at Provincial level and it looks like you might need to be a Permanent Resident of Canada to apply for NB Certification.
https://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/d...derer.599.html

Do be aware that there is a surfeit of teachers in Canada, many taking years to find a permanent position. More information in our invaluable Wiki: https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Teaching_in_Canada

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 17th 2019 at 5:50 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2019, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Linotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond repute

Big shortage of French immersion teachers across Canada:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...achers-report/

https://globalnews.ca/news/4922887/f...mand-teachers/

But New Brunswick has a substantial (32%) French-speaking minority, so maybe less demand there.

Last edited by Linotype; Feb 18th 2019 at 2:36 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2019, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

mogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Linotype
Big shortage of French immersion teachers across Canada:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...achers-report/

https://globalnews.ca/news/4922887/f...mand-teachers/

But New Brunswick has a substantial (32%) French-speaking minority, so maybe less demand there.
You could try contacting nbta.ca for info on teaching in NB.
I have just been to Fredericton where I visited the education dept at UNB and an employment counsellor. Both said that there is a shortage of bilingual teachers so if your French is very good, you may well have a better chance of getting a teaching post in NB than in other parts of Canada where it can be extremely difficult as documented elsewhere on this forum.
UNB offers a one year BEd rather than the two year route offered in some other provinces, which may be useful if your quals aren’t accepted.
Hope this helps.
Old Apr 21st 2019, 3:15 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

First the OP should identify how they might be able to obtain Permanent Residency.. pointless going through the process and expense to obtain certification unless there's a route to PR.

This link may also help with certification: https://www.nbta.ca/services/teacher_certification/cert_bed_clarify.html There's a link to a pdf for 'out of country applications' https://www.nbta.ca/services/teacher...cher_cert2.pdf
You cannot become a certified teacher or hold a permanent teaching position in NB without a Bachelor of Education degree.

There are rare cases where if a District has advertised for a qualified teacher and has been unable to fulfill a position, the District may offer a contract position to an unlicensed teacher. That teacher may be granted an Interim Certificate and will be required to fulfill the requirements for a BEd within a prescribed period.

Note: This is a very rare occurrence and usually only applies in highly specialized fields where qualified certified teachers are difficult to access.

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 21st 2019 at 3:27 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2019, 8:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

I used to go out with a Teacher when I lived in Moncton. The profession seems to be in a mess. There are many problems within the education system itself not least amongst which is a lack of funding. That aside it can be very difficult to get a full time job with many having to do years supply teaching. This can be a full week or just an hour or two per week. My ex gf had to work evenings in a restaurant to pay the bills. You have to be available as and when required just to stay on the radar as such. Another major problem is that if your face fits you may well be fine but if it does not then you will be starved out. There are plenty of teachers in NB that are qualified for example to teach Maths but get offered a full time contract teaching History whilst a History teacher gets overlooked simply because they are not pally with the right people. I have met many people through my ex gf that were scraping by on supply trying to get in whilst moonlighting or that have after many years given up all together and are now underemployed but at least have a steady income. It is not hard to see why 2/3 of the adult population are functionally illiterate and many are just not very bright.

There are many good things about life in NB, however there are many drawbacks as well. Read through the threads on this site for a start. It does not matter where you are if you find that you are unable to get a full time job and end up un or under employed its not much fun.

Good Luck
Old Apr 21st 2019, 9:54 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Teaching. Three or four threads current as well as the wiki on teaching and they all say much the same thing; No shortage of teachers, even Canadians can't get full time positions etc etc.

It seems to be something that applies all over Canada and not something more in one province than another.