Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

New Brunswick archaic liquor laws

New Brunswick archaic liquor laws

Old Apr 3rd 2014, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Brunswick archaic liquor laws

Isnt it time that New Brunswick amended its liquor laws much like other provinces are doing.
Under the current law, the maximum amount of alcohol that can be legally imported into New Brunswick from another province is one bottle of wine or hard liquor, or 12 pints of beer, which is about 18 bottles or cans.
Offenders are subject to an automatic fine of $292.50 and their liquor is seized and destroyed.

Apparently the last decision on this was made in 1928
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...mits-1.2596826
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Brunswick archaic liquor laws

British Columbians returning to B.C. from elsewhere in Canada can bring back up to one case (nine litres) of wine, four bottles (three litres) of spirits and a combined total of six dozen bottles (25.6 litres) of beer, cider and coolers per trip, as long as they are carrying it with them and it is for their own personal consumption.

I like those numbers a little better.

Is anyone around to enforce this at provincial borders though?
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 11:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burks
British Columbians returning to B.C. from elsewhere in Canada can bring back up to one case (nine litres) of wine, four bottles (three litres) of spirits and a combined total of six dozen bottles (25.6 litres) of beer, cider and coolers per trip, as long as they are carrying it with them and it is for their own personal consumption.

I like those numbers a little better.

Is anyone around to enforce this at provincial borders though?
Probably only on long weekends Same as inter provincial tobacco reporting.
Chances of getting caught are minimal but it does happen. Sneaky bastards have been known to park up and watch people loading booze into their cars then radioing ahead the details.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Probably only on long weekends Same as inter provincial tobacco reporting.
Chances of getting caught are minimal but it does happen. Sneaky bastards have been known to park up and watch people loading booze into their cars then radioing ahead the details.
It is almost as if the police have nothing else to do!

I find that Govt. attitudes towards alcohol in Canada in general is pretty ancient. I am glad that BC is actually changing a lot of their liquor laws presently, but there is still a little way to go. Still annoys me that I have to go to a liquor store to buy alcohol, I can't just grab it while in the supermarket
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 11:22 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burks
It is almost as if the police have nothing else to do!

I find that Govt. attitudes towards alcohol in Canada in general is pretty ancient. I am glad that BC is actually changing a lot of their liquor laws presently, but there is still a little way to go. Still annoys me that I have to go to a liquor store to buy alcohol, I can't just grab it while in the supermarket
They're not ancient, they're parochial and controlling. Its almost an admission that the economy is too poor to sustain the level of public spending that it thinks is should have without resorting to monopolistic practices.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 11:40 pm
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

I was aware of the restrictions in Canada and I think the law in many US states is even tougher making it completely illegal to transfer any liquor across a state line and in some states it is an actual felony. Again it is unlikely that you will get caught but it is possible

In SC, NC, VA, PA, NH, MA, and TN it is illegal to purchase any amount in another state and bring it into these states by any means even for personal use

It makes me smile given how many people use the NH Liquor Outlet on the I95
Old Apr 4th 2014, 1:17 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear. I was genuinely unaware until now that there was any restriction on taking alcohol and cigarettes across provincial borders. That's another law broken repeatedly but then there are so many.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Martin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dbd33
Oh dear. I was genuinely unaware until now that there was any restriction on taking alcohol and cigarettes across provincial borders. That's another law broken repeatedly but then there are so many.
Early 2000's, a couple of companies in Quebec made a fortune, legally, sending cigarettes out to BC, after the Indian smuggling made Quebec drop almost all it's tax on smokes.

There was an archaic Federal stamp law that made it possible; obviously it's been changed.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Isnt it time that New Brunswick amended its liquor laws much like other provinces are doing.
Under the current law, the maximum amount of alcohol that can be legally imported into New Brunswick from another province is one bottle of wine or hard liquor, or 12 pints of beer, which is about 18 bottles or cans.
Offenders are subject to an automatic fine of $292.50 and their liquor is seized and destroyed.

Apparently the last decision on this was made in 1928
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...mits-1.2596826
Why limit it to NB? The whole country is arse backwards when it comes to liquor laws.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 1:21 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
controlling
Which is surprising? Ethanol is a psychoactive and depressant drug. I'd expect it to be controlled and priced for maximum gain or to dissuade use.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 1:32 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe these law are enforced. The Ottawa cops would have a field day if they followed folk home from the Costco in Gatineau. You can spot the Ontarians in there a mile off. They are the ones pushing carts loaded with cases of beer. And I mean loaded.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 2:24 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
I can't believe these law are enforced. The Ottawa cops would have a field day if they followed folk home from the Costco in Gatineau. You can spot the Ontarians in there a mile off. They are the ones pushing carts loaded with cases of beer. And I mean loaded.
Probably would just take one concerned citizen to remind them of the law.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 2:29 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
Probably would just take one concerned citizen to remind them of the law.
Not very likely, is it?

The cops, by the way, are not exactly angels when it comes to buying Indian ciggies. A cop told me that.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Not very likely, is it?

The cops, by the way, are not exactly angels when it comes to buying Indian ciggies. A cop told me that.
Most of the beer sold @ the Kirkland Boutique in Gatineau is cheap swill. aka cottage beer. My outdoor football (soccer) team has thrived on it for years.

In terms of Gatineau police, I have it on good authority that the police there mark cars that are parked in the parking lot at one of the less than family friendly places on blvd Greber so that they know which cars to pull over nearby for a random inspection. Usually they mark them by cleaning the headlights/tail lights by removing the salt on the cars and they stand out at night as a result.

If Gatineau police were to target out of province alcohol transportation, then Ottawa police would have a field day in targetting drivers loaded up with cheaper Ottawa gas.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 3:15 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Most of the beer sold @ the Kirkland Boutique in Gatineau is cheap swill. aka cottage beer. My outdoor football (soccer) team has thrived on it for years.

In terms of Gatineau police, I have it on good authority that the police there mark cars that are parked in the parking lot at one of the less than family friendly places on blvd Greber so that they know which cars to pull over nearby for a random inspection. Usually they mark them by cleaning the headlights/tail lights by removing the salt on the cars and they stand out at night as a result.

If Gatineau police were to target out of province alcohol transportation, then Ottawa police would have a field day in targetting drivers loaded up with cheaper Ottawa gas.
You'd probably get a result pulling any car on south Greber late at night!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.