Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

new to the board - hi!

new to the board - hi!

Old Apr 14th 2005, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Woodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new to the board - hi!

Hi Gina, welcome to the board.

Can I ask if you have started the Visa application process yet and under which route you will apply?
I ask cos if you are applying under the most common, Skilled Worker, then you are in for about a 2 year wait! :scared: That would suggest that you won't be there for the summer 06
Hope I haven't just dropped a bombshell!

If your hubby can do an inter company transfer or you are intending applying under a different route then you may be there quicker.

HTH
Old Apr 14th 2005, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

karenr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bsidebaby
Hi Gina

We too are in similar shoes to you guys. Applied May 04, AOR July 04 and now in limbo waiting to hear. Hopefully by the end of this year we will at least have had medicals.

We have 3 kids 8, 4 and nearly 2 and I completely share your worries about schooling etc. We are looking at Ontario and keeping changing our minds as to where to settle first Niagara Region , then Quinte region then back to Niagara/Hamilton but have been put off Hamilton by so many negative postings on here about it and now looking at London/St Thomas.

Where abouts in UK are you? We are in North Essex and have no-one to talk to about our immigration. Family havent mentioned it since we did so they are either blotting out the inevitable or dont think itll ever happen. Would be nice if they showed an interest though.

Do you guys have jobs to go to?

Lets stay in touch.

Hi , We are also based in Essex , Westcliff . We got our aor in july 04 . Are heading to London Ontario . !!! any more coincidences !!! 2 children 11 and 8 . Happy to talk for hours about immigration , but it is starting to feel a bit dreamlike . Also I am going through a panicy" are we doing the right thing "stage . The frightening thing is whatever anyone says , the only way we will ever know is to make this massive change and then see if it works !!!
sometimes it feels so right and then other times ........
anyway send me a pm if you want .
Karen
Old Apr 14th 2005, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

ginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Karenr, I do realise that perhaps we were a bit naive on the waiting times we did say either 2006 or 2007, the latter meaning we could save a bit more money so I guess I should look on the positive side . I did say if we had to wait 2 years I would like another baby before we go, but now I find out I can't take the medical if I am pregnant delaying things even further - that is the most upsetting thing!
Old Apr 14th 2005, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of

Good luck with the process guys...Enjoy this forum, the personalities on here have a wealth of experience and knowledge for you to draw on.
Anyway Welcome, have fun.
Frankieforehead
Old Apr 14th 2005, 7:05 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenr
Hi , We are also based in Essex , Westcliff . We got our aor in july 04 . Are heading to London Ontario . !!! any more coincidences !!! 2 children 11 and 8 . Happy to talk for hours about immigration , but it is starting to feel a bit dreamlike . Also I am going through a panicy" are we doing the right thing "stage . The frightening thing is whatever anyone says , the only way we will ever know is to make this massive change and then see if it works !!!
sometimes it feels so right and then other times ........
anyway send me a pm if you want .
Karen
Going on family holiday to London in July

This to looks like our final destination when process is completed

BTW it would be good to find out how many people are heading for the London area, it seems theres quite a few on this forum just now !!

Theres me and SandraPaul, they are hoping to be there in August 2005

Anyone else heading for the London area

Eddie
Old Apr 14th 2005, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Voyager970

BTW it would be good to find out how many people are heading for the London area, it seems theres quite a few on this forum just now !!

Eddie
I went to London Last weekend....Took in a show and had a meal down china town. Still too many pidgeons around trafalgar though.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud of
Smile Re: new to the board - hi!

Originally Posted by Voyager970

Eddie
Oh we might be or more St Thomas the houses out there look gorgeous and what a price!!! compared to here I mean LOL.

My kids cant wait to get their own rooms and Im having the attic room, hubby can have basement and I get a laundry room and the kids get a family room it just goes on and on!!!!

seriously let us know your thoughts on the area on your return.

When did you first apply?
Old Apr 14th 2005, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

Cam-mac is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ginaf
I just wanted to check in and say hi.

My name is Gina, I am married with 2 kiddies, 5 and 15 months. We hope to move to central Toronto in the summer of 2006 and plan on starting the process immediately.

We are not going out there with rose tinted spectacles, just annoyed with extortionate house prices and 3 1/2 hours of commuting that my husband does each day over here, and hope that Canada will give us more of a chance to be a slightly more relaxed and happy family. My biggest worry is getting my 5 year old settled in school.

I have a whole raft of questions I want to ask so any advice would be appreciated, I hope that in time I will be able to give some back.

My first question (sorry), is, does anyone know when the schools start back after the summer break. We hope to visit Toronto this summer at the end of august and I have heard that the schools are back by then but can't find anything concrete on the net.

Thanks
Gina
Hi Gina, Im Lisa married with 2 kiddies aged 6yrs and 19 months. Iam new to the board and in the research stages of emmigrating to Canada. The schools all start back after a 6 week holiday,in the first week of september. I have found an exellent book from waterstones called "living and working in Canada" edited by Graeme Chesters (2nd Edition). There is a good section on the Canadian education system. Hope its useful.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 12:06 am
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bsidebaby
Oh we might be or more St Thomas the houses out there look gorgeous and what a price!!! compared to here I mean LOL.

My kids cant wait to get their own rooms and Im having the attic room, hubby can have basement and I get a laundry room and the kids get a family room it just goes on and on!!!!

seriously let us know your thoughts on the area on your return.

When did you first apply?
Just about to apply, skilled class, wifey and three kids

Yes I will gladly let you know what I think of London Ontario ( or a frankie thinks London, Engerland with the pidgeons )

Eddie
Old Apr 15th 2005, 2:06 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Cam-mac
The schools all start back after a 6 week holiday,in the first week of september.
I think you have to take everything you read with a pinch of salt. For example, my daughter actually gets 10 weeks off during the summer. She finishes at the beginning of June and doesn't go back until September. Books are good for overviews - but they aren't necessarily true of the particular area you are moving to.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

ginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Cam-mac, where are you hoping to move to?
Old Apr 15th 2005, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

vicky n jim is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Eddie,
My husband myself and our 11yr old son are moving out to London just waiting for the sale of the house to complete we are hoping to be out by end of June . Like yourselves we went out last year on a factfinding mission / family holiday and decided that London would be the ideal place to settle.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ginaf
I just wanted to check in and say hi.

My name is Gina, I am married with 2 kiddies, 5 and 15 months. We hope to move to central Toronto in the summer of 2006 and plan on starting the process immediately.

We are not going out there with rose tinted spectacles, just annoyed with extortionate house prices and 3 1/2 hours of commuting that my husband does each day over here, and hope that Canada will give us more of a chance to be a slightly more relaxed and happy family. My biggest worry is getting my 5 year old settled in school.

I have a whole raft of questions I want to ask so any advice would be appreciated, I hope that in time I will be able to give some back.

My first question (sorry), is, does anyone know when the schools start back after the summer break. We hope to visit Toronto this summer at the end of august and I have heard that the schools are back by then but can't find anything concrete on the net.

Thanks
Gina
Hello and welcome (I'm still new too, just a couple of weeks here).

Have fun - very interesting and fun site!
Old Apr 15th 2005, 5:00 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Originally Posted by vicky n jim
Hello Eddie,
My husband myself and our 11yr old son are moving out to London just waiting for the sale of the house to complete we are hoping to be out by end of June . Like yourselves we went out last year on a factfinding mission / family holiday and decided that London would be the ideal place to settle.
Vicky n Jim

What did you think about the place
I have never heard anyhting negative about London Ontario

Did you have any bad experiences etc when you went out last year

Eddie
Old Apr 15th 2005, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

Cam-mac is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cam-mac
Hi Gina, Im Lisa married with 2 kiddies aged 6yrs and 19 months. Iam new to the board and in the research stages of emmigrating to Canada. The schools all start back after a 6 week holiday,in the first week of september. I have found an exellent book from waterstones called "living and working in Canada" edited by Graeme Chesters (2nd Edition). There is a good section on the Canadian education system. Hope its useful.
Hi Gina, we have heard good reports about london Ontario, Edmonton, winnipeg but we cannot decide for definate until we visit Canada in July.I would prefer to choose a location and then apply for Jobs (this side of the pond) rather than the other way around as need a good neighbourhood/schools for the children. As i am a nurse , i will perhaps use an agency to find work. Where do you intend to live? Any recommendations?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.