Reload this Page >

New to this, Any help would be appreciated

New to this, Any help would be appreciated

Old Jan 3rd 2020, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

dougey1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New to this, Any help would be appreciated

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum I've recently made the life changing decision to start the process of applying to move to Canada
I'm 35 single and have 15yrs in Plastering

I have spoken to an immigration lawyer they said I've got a trade that the country has a shortage of,

My question is how likely/easy is it to find that type of work and is there any specific websites that I should be looking at regarding work?

Any advice would be hugely welcomed
Old Jan 3rd 2020, 4:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to this, Any help would be appreciated

Originally Posted by dougey1
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum I've recently made the life changing decision to start the process of applying to move to Canada
I'm 35 single and have 15yrs in Plastering

I have spoken to an immigration lawyer they said I've got a trade that the country has a shortage of,

My question is how likely/easy is it to find that type of work and is there any specific websites that I should be looking at regarding work?

Any advice would be hugely welcomed
Hi, and welcome to BE.

You can search the forum to find relevant threads for plastering info and to see how in demand the job is (remember an immi consultant will tell you it's demand to try and get you to sign up with them!), but really your first step need to be checking to see if you're eligible for a visa. Have you done that and if so, which visa route are you planning on going down?

I believe that plastering is a regulated trade in Canada, so you'll need to jump through a few hoops to be able to work there, but again a forum search should hopefully bring up more info.

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 3rd 2020 at 4:15 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2020, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, yes I've checked if I'm eligible for a visa, and everyone I've spoken to has said I could go for the permanent residency but I was told that by the immigration lawyers I spoke to
Old Jan 3rd 2020, 4:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, yes I've checked if I'm eligible for a visa, and everyone I've spoken to has said I could go for the permanent residency but I was told that by the immigration lawyers I spoke to
OK, as long as you know you're scoring enough on the CRS and meet all the other criteria (i.e. have a job offer or provincial certification, have enough funds, etc, etc), then PR is definitely the way to go if you can. I would avoid using lawyers personally, unless you have complicated circumstances they're really not needed, particularly now you've found BE!

What are you scoring on the CRS, is your next birthday crucial in terms of points or are you well above the cut off? Hopefully you are, so you don't have to rush at it to apply before you turn 36?
Old Jan 3rd 2020, 4:44 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

You may need your Provincial Certification to work as a Plasterer in Canada, it's a regulated job in many Provinces - more info with links to the Governing bodies can be found here: https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketrepo...ments/21513/ca

You can apply to challenge the requirements to obtain a Certificate of Qualification if you are able to provide proof of working x number of hours in the industry - usually in excess of 900.
(Look for 'internationally trained' 'challenge / equivalency' in your chosen Province)

As Christmasoompa has said, there is little point in using a Immigration Consultant unless you have a complex background - you will either qualify and have enough points (or a qualifying job offer) or you won't - and you will have to supply all the information and documentation, most PR applications are online and easy to complete yourself. Why not save that money (they usually charge megabucks, thousands of pounds) for the move over and proof of funds!

If the suggested route was Federal Skilled Worker (Trades) then the points requirements are lower - but you will need your Certificate of Qualification OR a valid job offer to apply through Express Entry... and it will make it easier for you to find a job offer if you have it.. but do check your points situation in case you need to apply through Provincial Nomination with a job offer.. there's more than 1 way to apply or qualify!

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 3rd 2020 at 4:52 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2020, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=christmasoompa;12784804]OK, as long as you know you're scoring enough on the CRS and meet all the other criteria (i.e. have a job offer or provincial certification, have enough funds, etc, etc), then PR is definitely the way to go if you can. I would avoid using lawyers personally, unless you have complicated circumstances they're really not needed, particularly now you've found BE!

What are you scoring on the CRS, is your next birthday crucial in terms of points or are you well above the cut off? Hopefully you are, so you don't have to rush at it to apply before you turn 36?[/Quot

I scored 970 on the CRS the next thing I have to do is look for work but every forum I've seem is saying I'd struggle to live on the wages plasterers are being paid, after all the infomercials I've been given I think i will be doing the application myself instead of paying someone, as I have no criminal record or health issues

Also I turn 36 at the end of June
Old Jan 3rd 2020, 5:24 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I scored 970 on the CRS the next thing I have to do is look for work but every forum I've seem is saying I'd struggle to live on the wages plasterers are being paid, after all the infomercials I've been given I think i will be doing the application myself instead of paying someone, as I have no criminal record or health issues

970? I think not. Try again.
Old Jan 3rd 2020, 6:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

That score can't be right, can you re-take it? Make sure you're only using the official calculator - https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigr...d/crs-tool.asp

So you'll lose 5 points in June, but you're not likely to be in a position to submit an application before then anyway, as it'll usually take longer to either find a job or get provincial certification sorted. Hopefully your points aren't borderline, so it won't matter.

As for wages, according to Job Bank the average is $27ph/approx $56,000 a year (approx £15 per hour/£31,000 a year). Not sure how that compares to your current earnings, but cost of living is about the same in Canada as in the UK as a very rough guide.

HTH.
Old Jan 4th 2020, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
That score can't be right, can you re-take it? Make sure you're only using the official calculator - https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigr...d/crs-tool.asp

So you'll lose 5 points in June, but you're not likely to be in a position to submit an application before then anyway, as it'll usually take longer to either find a job or get provincial certification sorted. Hopefully your points aren't borderline, so it won't matter.

As for wages, according to Job Bank the average is $27ph/approx $56,000 a year (approx £15 per hour/£31,000 a year). Not sure how that compares to your current earnings, but cost of living is about the same in Canada as in the UK as a very rough guide.

HTH.
If its of any use/reference. Or if someone wants any advice on how to get C of Q I managed to obtain mine in 4 months last year, and that included several weeks of dithering before booking the exam due to personal circumstances.

Posted my application off(which I think I could have convinced them to accept via email) on 20/02, C of Q was granted on the 19/06 (didn't land with me until the mid July).

You've got to put some work in, and different provinces may be slower/quicker. but realistically with sitting mine in saskatchewan(can't see plasterer on their list) I could probably have gone from start to getting my qualification in about 12 weeks.

Last edited by Stumpylegs; Jan 4th 2020 at 3:43 am. Reason: bit more info