Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

New 2 Maple Ridge BC

New 2 Maple Ridge BC

Old Jul 16th 2008, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

babycart has a spectacular aura aboutbabycart has a spectacular aura aboutbabycart has a spectacular aura about
Smile New 2 Maple Ridge BC

Hi have moved over from South London with our family. Would be interested to know if there is any one else out there recently moved and would like to share their experiences. Have a young family, 3,41/2 and 6 who all just want to have fun.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

Sam the lamb has a spectacular aura aboutSam the lamb has a spectacular aura aboutSam the lamb has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: New 2 Maple Ridge BC

Originally Posted by babycart
Hi have moved over from South London with our family. Would be interested to know if there is any one else out there recently moved and would like to share their experiences. Have a young family, 3,41/2 and 6 who all just want to have fun.
Hi, we are in BC Richmond.

No kids just reached the 30 mark in life. From Hampshire.

We are still going through the process - just received requests for Passports. Been in BC since Dec 07 on a Bunac - PR should be here very soon.

We would be happy to share our experiance. Send us a PM.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

babycart has a spectacular aura aboutbabycart has a spectacular aura aboutbabycart has a spectacular aura about

Hey, good to hear from you- have been visiting various sites prior to moving over but never really got into it. As I am new to the site cannot send PM until I have contributed 3 posts- this is my third one so I should be ok after this.

Now that the move has happened I am sorting out in my head the way I should feel. Everything on paper has worked out really well- we have a house, car, wife already has a job, & kids have a place at school. As I still need to find work I feel unsettled & that may be the reason why I don't feel the euphoria of someone who has just moved. My first impressions are positive but having lived in London for 40 years this is something that cannot be erased in three weeks. This thread is not supposed to be a rant- I am happy to give people an insight in how it worked for us.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 6:10 am

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi we are in North Vancouver with a 4 and 16 year old, just been here 4 weeks, we can all swap notes
terese
Old Jul 19th 2008, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

Hi Terese,

We moved over from Croydon and had been in the application process from around May 2004, we got are visa's last August and really stayed about one month before they expired. We wanted to coincide it with the kids holiday.

We are hoping for our container next week- so things will feel a lot like coming home again as we will have more of our personal belongings-

I am still to look for work and the type of work I do will mean most probably mean that I will have to travel downtown to work. We chose Maple Ridge mainly because you get more for your money that closer to Vancouver Downtown, but also the school we wanted to send the kids to was in that town. It just transpired that the school gave us a contact for a GP that kids also went to the same school and he offered her a job in the medical practice that was also in the town.

So in many aspects we should feel very grateful as we have most things sorted out, and even I am beginning to feel a bit more settled. This end of town is a bit more rural as we on the east side of Maple Ridge- but is all residential.

I noticed from your post that you are qualified as a nurse- I know that there is a shortage all over the lower mainland. Have you managed to get work sorted out?

We are still to venture into to Downtown as a family- but did do Metro Town (Burnaby) yesterday- my wife loved it!!!- Actually there is a great shop called T&T supermarket which sells great sea food & exotic fruits- if you haven't tried it give it a go.

If you want to meet up as a family let us know & we are happy to give you our address & numbers through a private message.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 11:13 pm

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Terese,

We moved over from Croydon and had been in the application process from around May 2004, we got are visa's last August and really stayed about one month before they expired. We wanted to coincide it with the kids holiday.

We are hoping for our container next week- so things will feel a lot like coming home again as we will have more of our personal belongings-

I am still to look for work and the type of work I do will mean most probably mean that I will have to travel downtown to work. We chose Maple Ridge mainly because you get more for your money that closer to Vancouver Downtown, but also the school we wanted to send the kids to was in that town. It just transpired that the school gave us a contact for a GP that kids also went to the same school and he offered her a job in the medical practice that was also in the town.

So in many aspects we should feel very grateful as we have most things sorted out, and even I am beginning to feel a bit more settled. This end of town is a bit more rural as we on the east side of Maple Ridge- but is all residential.

I noticed from your post that you are qualified as a nurse- I know that there is a shortage all over the lower mainland. Have you managed to get work sorted out?

We are still to venture into to Downtown as a family- but did do Metro Town (Burnaby) yesterday- my wife loved it!!!- Actually there is a great shop called T&T supermarket which sells great sea food & exotic fruits- if you haven't tried it give it a go.

If you want to meet up as a family let us know & we are happy to give you our address & numbers through a private message.
Hi
we are a bit more settled and like you are still waiting for all our things. Yes luckily I have a job already at the local hospital so just the other half to find work now- he has interviews lined up so hopefully it won't be long.
We visited metro town last week and it was good to shop again.
Yes once we are are settled into work ( I start on Monday) it would be great to meet up, thank you
Terese
Old Jul 19th 2008, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

Glad to hear that you guys are getting settled- I will send a private message with our contact details feel free to contact me or my wife when you get a chance. ATB
Old Jul 20th 2008, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

BRITSBC is on a distinguished road

Hi Terese,

Welcome to BC. We have lived in Maple Ridge for 28 years since moving from the U.K. Please feel free to ask any questions on the area, I would be happy to help. Did you go to the Coquitlam Centre T & T? Also for the best salmon around visit Bruce's Country Market at 240th and Lougheed Hwy in Maple Ridge, it supplies the salmon for Granville Island, and has the best salmon chowder ever!! It's much cheaper than Granville Island too! Good luck with your job search.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

Hi BRITBC,

thanks for the tips, Bruce's market already is our favourite place to shop- like you said- good fish & less stressful than going to the mega supermarkets where you have so much choice, but very little quality. I was told that T&T was also in Coquitlam the following day- is at as big as the one in Metrotown.

Wife is going to be working as GP at Fraser Medical Clinic on the same block as you guys- I am a UK qualified lawyer and will start following up some contacts I made when I came in November- As our container comes next week I will be in a position to have a suit, tie etc- at the moment I am just too causal for visiting any law offices.

We have 3 kids- two of which will be starting at Meadowridge in September- this was the main reason why we choice Maple Ridge. If I had know you were around I would have used your service in purchasing. Prior to coming to the Canada I worked for a firm that set up a Home Information Pack company which I ran as a new business. Dealt with lots of Estate Agents in the UK.

It would be helpful to try and understand the culture and some of the pit falls new comers may face, any help would be appreciated.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 7:09 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Actually there is a great shop called T&T supermarket which sells great sea food & exotic fruits- if you haven't tried it give it a go.
There are a few T&T stores in the Lower Mainland. In addition to the Metro Town and Coquitlam stores I can also think of Downtown, 1st Avenue, Surrey and Richmond. Great stores to get all sorts of Asian foods.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

BRITSBC is on a distinguished road

Hi BRITBC,

thanks for the tips, Bruce's market already is our favourite place to shop- like you said- good fish & less stressful than going to the mega supermarkets where you have so much choice, but very little quality. I was told that T&T was also in Coquitlam the following day- is at as big as the one in Metrotown.

Wife is going to be working as GP at Fraser Medical Clinic on the same block as you guys- I am a UK qualified lawyer and will start following up some contacts I made when I came in November- As our container comes next week I will be in a position to have a suit, tie etc- at the moment I am just too causal for visiting any law offices.

We have 3 kids- two of which will be starting at Meadowridge in September- this was the main reason why we choice Maple Ridge. If I had know you were around I would have used your service in purchasing. Prior to coming to the Canada I worked for a firm that set up a Home Information Pack company which I ran as a new business. Dealt with lots of Estate Agents in the UK.

It would be helpful to try and understand the culture and some of the pit falls new comers may face, any help would be appreciated.
Glad you found Bruce's Market! Meadowridge is a wonderful school, people drive their children from all over the Lower Mainland to attend. I will pm you so you can ask any questions on lifestyle, shopping etc.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 5:26 am
Just Joined

bambam has a spectacular aura aboutbambam has a spectacular aura aboutbambam has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: New 2 Maple Ridge BC

Hi we moved here 15 days ago! We are in port coquitlam and we have 4 young kids, 1 3 5 and 7, and we are just down the road from you on the number 702 bus I believe!
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

That sounds great- we end up going to PoCo all the time, CostCo & Home Depot (which is just like B&Q) but the staff actually know what they are talking about and are really helpful.

I have PM you look forward to meeting up as a family.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

Katie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud of

Hi,

I hope you don't mind me writing in your Thread. .

We're hoping to move to Maple Ridge in afew months.

Please tell me what you think of it ?
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,

No problem with contacting us- this is what this forum is supposed to be about- just send me a list of questions and I will be happy to give my objective view of Maple Ridge. This place suits us as we have moved over for a particular school which will allow us to send our kids from the age of 5 to 18 & it is mixed. Cost of housing for what you get is much better than going closer to Vancouver. Housing is expensive, although the market here has cooled down, I am not sure if prices have fallen.

As a general view, Maple Ridge is one of the last towns in the Greater Vancouver District. It has more of small town feel without being in the middle of nowhere. We can get to Downtown Vancouver in just over an hour and most places are accessible from where we live. If you find work locally then you really don't need to go Downtown often, other than a treat. However if you have to commute, then you can drive- or use a commuter train service that takes you directly down to the center of Vancouver in about 50mins.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.