Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Never been to Canada and know noone but?

Never been to Canada and know noone but?

Old Apr 28th 2009, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

antfarm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Never been to Canada and know noone but?

I applied in Nov 06 and we received a medical requests last week. We thought we wouldn't get in as I didn't have a degree but my ACCA qualification seems to have been enough. Now that it is more likely than not the wife is a bit negative over going.

I need to try and convince my other half without pressurising her that we should try it. Kids are 6 and 11.

I guess the first question I need to decide is where to move (if we move). It is a toss up between Toronto and Vancouver (just for getting work). Weather seems better in Vancouver but Toronto seems to offer more affordable housing. Any advise welcome.

Second question. I was thinking about trying to make contact with similar families who could offer general advice about living in Canada and maybe offer some positives to counterbalance wife's concerns. Not sure how to go about this?

Thirdly. We have applied under the skilled worker route therefore would my wife be able to work in Canada

If you are still with me thanks for reading it was a bit long.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 9:01 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Never been to Canada and know noone but?

not too long.

Short answers...

COME VISIT. Best bet by far for alleviating concerns and seing the lay of the land.

Lots of people here in similar situations, so Im sure some will share their expereinces, and if not there is lots of previous comment to search back through, plus the wiki pages etc.

Yes, she could work. Good Luck.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 28th 2009 at 9:04 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 9:04 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by antfarm
I applied in Nov 06 and we received a medical requests last week. We thought we wouldn't get in as I didn't have a degree but my ACCA qualification seems to have been enough. Now that it is more likely than not the wife is a bit negative over going.
Congrats on getting in

I guess the first question I need to decide is where to move (if we move). It is a toss up between Toronto and Vancouver (just for getting work). Weather seems better in Vancouver but Toronto seems to offer more affordable housing. Any advise welcome.
Just as likely to get work as a number cruncher in Calgary, Edmonton, Regina etc (in fact possibly more likely than in TO)

Second question. I was thinking about trying to make contact with similar families who could offer general advice about living in Canada and maybe offer some positives to counterbalance wife's concerns. Not sure how to go about this?
Well first of all we need to know what her concerns are

Thirdly. We have applied under the skilled worker route therefore would my wife be able to work in Canada
Yes
Old Apr 28th 2009, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

I guess it is the normal concerns

1 Not knowing anyone
2 Up routing the kids
3 Starting from scratch and where to begin
Old Apr 28th 2009, 9:16 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it is the normal concerns

1 Not knowing anyone
2 Up routing the kids
3 Starting from scratch and where to begin
Its a question of motivation...You have to believe its going to be better in the long run on the West side of the Atlantic. You can read all you want, but ultimately a visit is worth thousands of webpages.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

We are planning on visiting for a couple of weeks August and Landing. Not sure whether to limit it to one city or try and visit a few.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to all

Hi there - I'm not in the areas that you are looking to move, but I knew no-one out here. We have 3 children that we 'up-rooted'. I am only on a visitor visa (under Hubby's work permit) so I can't work, but I have made quite a few friends since moving here. I understand the concerns over moving - probably had them all myself. If your wife wants to pm or email me, please feel free. I'll be glad to share any information I have.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 10:31 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

We are planning on visiting for a couple of weeks August and Landing. Not sure whether to limit it to one city or try and visit a few.
What first interested you about Canada?
Personally I would say visit more than one place, you just need to narrow it down to which.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

Settlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really nice

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
What first interested you about Canada?
Personally I would say visit more than one place, you just need to narrow it down to which.
Careful: visiting is not living. You won't get a good idea about how much life cost here, whether will you like local food, habits etc. Especially if you'll be constantly on the move. But sure, a two-three week vacation is a good idea indeed, without stamping the immigration visas (so that you can get your PR fee refunded if you decide not to go).
Old Apr 29th 2009, 12:47 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

You do have to make a distinction between a vacation and a fact finding mission...still not the same as living here, but as long as you have a plan you can get some feel for what it could be like, and still have some fun too.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 1:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Settlers_Unlimited
Careful: visiting is not living. You won't get a good idea about how much life cost here, whether will you like local food, habits etc. Especially if you'll be constantly on the move. But sure, a two-three week vacation is a good idea indeed, without stamping the immigration visas (so that you can get your PR fee refunded if you decide not to go).
What refund? If they already have visas, what fee are they going to get back?
Old Apr 29th 2009, 3:50 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Settlers_Unlimited
Careful: visiting is not living.
Did I for one minute suggest it was?
Old Apr 29th 2009, 3:51 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
What refund? If they already have visas, what fee are they going to get back?
Obviously an expert AC, better just turn the forum over to him\her.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 6:13 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Obviously an expert AC, better just turn the forum over to him\her.

ahem....................... pnbc
Old Apr 29th 2009, 6:25 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
ahem....................... pnbc
Not you as well.............................................. ..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.