Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

This networking thingy in Toronto

This networking thingy in Toronto

Old Aug 24th 2011, 2:32 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This networking thingy in Toronto

Originally Posted by el_richo
You're right. I wonder if people sending resume's are including the text "I'M NOT A CANADIAN" at the top.

My resume has no indication of my nationality or the countries of my previous employment.
Thanks all for your replies.

Mine states clearly im a Canadian citizen and mentions my newspaper employment from Vancouver. My wife writes SEO for websites so mine is well written. As it goes, im not that bothered because if it does go tits up we'll be quite happy back on the S Coast in blighty to be honest. But i get the silly season as James mentioned. OOh the beer we could of sunk if i was in finance. I did work for the Financial Times though
Old Aug 24th 2011, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Aviator
That's the way it is in Canada, accept it, it is not going to change. Don't rely on one application, just keep sending them in. There seems to be some misconception of a bias toward Canadians when hiring, something I have never noticed in all the time I have been in country.

On your side of the coin one job may mean a lot, from the employer, you may be one of hundreds of applicants who get sifted through. Employers just want to fill a job, find the best applicant they can in the easiest and quickest way possible.

Building a network is not too hard, joining local clubs, churches, self help groups like Toastmasters, trade associations, building a social network, any of these can help get a job. One of my more fun jobs I got through something totally unrelated to my industry.
Yes but they do harp on about Canadian work experience, which to an immigrant would appear to be bias, although bias toward residents not specifically Canadians. But I just don't get Canadian work experience. What the hell is it? Anyone would think that the standards of working in Canada put places like Britain to shame, whereas it's actually the other way around. Although until recently in BC we were having to take a frigging driving test in a place where nobody knows their arse from their elbow when it comes to driving, so on this basis does seem to be non-resident racism.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 10:17 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadian_critic
Yes but they do harp on about Canadian work experience, which to an immigrant would appear to be bias, although bias toward residents not specifically Canadians. But I just don't get Canadian work experience. What the hell is it? Anyone would think that the standards of working in Canada put places like Britain to shame, whereas it's actually the other way around. Although until recently in BC we were having to take a frigging driving test in a place where nobody knows their arse from their elbow when it comes to driving, so on this basis does seem to be non-resident racism.
"Canadian experience" isn't something I've come across outside of this board. I'd say there's a preference for US experience.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 11:03 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Thanks all for your replies.

Mine states clearly im a Canadian citizen and mentions my newspaper employment from Vancouver. My wife writes SEO for websites so mine is well written. As it goes, im not that bothered because if it does go tits up we'll be quite happy back on the S Coast in blighty to be honest. But i get the silly season as James mentioned. OOh the beer we could of sunk if i was in finance. I did work for the Financial Times though
PM me with more specifics about your work.

I have some contacts at Quebecor Media who might be useful to you.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 3:28 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

You're right. I wonder if people sending resume's are including the text "I'M NOT A CANADIAN" at the top.

My resume has no indication of my nationality or the countries of my previous employment.
My UK experience was an asset and got me hired on more than one occasion.

My buddy is in farming and they hire about every nationality in the country.

I agree with one thing CC says, always puzzled me why we had to take a driving test when many drivers here (most) are awful. My drivers license, took a test, my pilots license, went into the transport Canada office, they looked at my log book, handed me a license.

Last edited by Aviator; Aug 24th 2011 at 3:31 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good tip...I was applying from outside Canada, so I wanted to make clear I had PR, but it probably just put them off. In the end I got recommended to a recuiter via a contact from my own company, and he fixed me up with a great job. Now that I am here, once I have experience of the canadian market, I suspect I will be treated in the same way as a Canadian.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

goldstars is a jewel in the roughgoldstars is a jewel in the roughgoldstars is a jewel in the roughgoldstars is a jewel in the roughgoldstars is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JamesM
Keep plugging away- bear in mind it is Labour Day soon and people should be more focused on work after that. My office has been like a Country Club since late July. I don't think much get's done in August at all.

We are hiring for 4 or 5 positions but I know that they have not reached out to anybody yet despite telling us they were hiring in late July.

It might be worth following up on some of your earlier summer apps in September.

If you are in Finance or a Developer personal message me. As long as you have the legal right to work in Canada I can try and help you out. I am desperately short of quality drinking buddys at my place. The last office party the CEO and myself bought 40 odd can's of beer and all the cradle's left it to me to drink..............
My husband is into finance. Been job hunting for some time. Could pm you his resume if you dont mind.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 12:13 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldstars
My husband is into finance. Been job hunting for some time. Could pm you his resume if you dont mind.
Sure.

My company is recruiting a Finance Director/ Management Accountant so PM me and I'll give you my work email.

We are based in Down Town Toronto near King and Bathurst.