Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

IT networking tech job opportunity (Vancouver)

IT networking tech job opportunity (Vancouver)

Old Aug 31st 2008, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute
Default IT networking tech job opportunity (Vancouver)

Thought I'd throw this out there as the 'it's hard to get a job in IT' thing seems to pop up frequently.

If you HAVE your PR or are JUST about to land (next couple of months, tops) and are looking for work in IT network admin in the Vancouver area, please PM me. I'll not link or whatever directly, not sure about forum rules and whatnot about that.

Minimum 2 years experience, principally Windows (Active Directory, Exchange, MSSQL, IIS), UNIX & Mac. Varied work - smallish (100 person) co. so pretty interesting.

Nice place to work, based in Surrey (not far from the Alex Fraser so the commute from Vancouver is a doddle for me at least, 30mins each way). Can't say for definite as I don't work in that team, but based on my experience it's liable to come with good pay and vacation allowance (if your experience is good and you interview well, usual caveats, blah blah).

No promises but may as well see if I can help a fellow Brit

Cheers, Iain

Last edited by Iain Mc; Aug 31st 2008 at 6:08 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

blacksnow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IT networking tech job opportunity (Vancouver)

Hello, i'm usually just a lurker but had to register after seeing you post this..

'it's hard to get a job in IT'

Is this really the case in Canada? I'm currently about to start my 4th year at university (honours) in Networking and Computer Support. For about the last 3 years i've always been considering going to canada once i graduate to see about working/living out there..

Is it easier for someone to move there working in a skilled trade rather than being a graduate? Worried me seeing that quote :P
Old Aug 31st 2008, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

Cavok is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Iain,

As I don't have enough posts to PM you I give a reply to this thread.

I am a 25 year old Dutch (not a fellow Brit though ) Bachelor of Software Engineering with 2 years of work experience, arriving in Vancouver the 28th of December on a WHP(BUNAC) visa (work permit valid for one year, so unfortunately not a Permantent Visa). I am looking for an IT opportunity in the Vancouver area and thought maybe you have some connections in the IT in the Vancouver area.

PM me if you want more information about me and I can possibly send you my resume.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

Is this really the case in Canada? I'm currently about to start my 4th year at university (honours) in Networking and Computer Support. For about the last 3 years i've always been considering going to canada once i graduate to see about working/living out there..
From a personal perspective no, it's not the case, however one person's experience is only anecdotal and I've seen quite a few posts on this forum from people experiencing difficulty, especially regarding Western Canada and getting your experience recognised.

Maybe it's changing however: good people seem to be in demand right now, so I wouldn't worry too much, and it really depends where you're headed.

Cavok, probably not the timelines that'd work in this case but I'll have a think and try and post some general stuff to you.

Cheers, Iain
Old Sep 1st 2008, 6:06 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Cavok
I am looking for an IT opportunity in the Vancouver area and thought maybe you have some connections in the IT in the Vancouver area.

PM me if you want more information about me and I can possibly send you my resume.
What kind of IT work? are you a developer?
Old Sep 1st 2008, 9:11 am
Just Joined

macintosh is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Iain,

I would be very interested in the position but am unable to pm you as have not posted 3 posts yet on this forum.

I have just arrived back in the UK (today) from my reccie trip in Vancouver.

I do have my pr card and sin card.

If you send me a mail to [email protected] i will send you my CV.

Hope to here from you soon.

Thanks

Neil
Old Sep 1st 2008, 11:20 am
Just Joined

Hi Iain,

Have you got an email I could contact you on as unable to send you a pm as not had more that 3 posts on this forum.

Kind Regards

Neil
Old Sep 1st 2008, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

I've mailed you.

Thanks, Iain
Old Sep 1st 2008, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

cheers,

Neil
Old Sep 1st 2008, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

Cavok is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ClareBC
What kind of IT work? are you a developer?
In fact, my first concern when landing in Vancouver is to find some work to fund my stay there. As I do have an IT background I prefer IT work of course, however I understand that in my situation I should be happy with any job initially. Therefore, I also do not have a specific preference for the kind of IT work right now.

However, I have studied Computer Science, and the emphasis during this study was software development (Java, C++, SQL, Database design etc.). Currently I work for an insurance company, developing software apps, giving support to users etc.

To conclude: finding work is good, finding IT work is even better, finding a software developing job is best!

@Iain Mc: appreciated, thanks!
Old Sep 1st 2008, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

compchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by blacksnow
Hello, i'm usually just a lurker but had to register after seeing you post this..

Is it easier for someone to move there working in a skilled trade rather than being a graduate? Worried me seeing that quote :P
Hi,

I don't know about the western side of Canada but I arrived in Ottawa last year and didn't have any difficulty in finding a job in IT. I work in high level support and registered with a couple of agencies (Robert Half, Ajilon), I had two offers within 10 days. I took one and now 12 months later I'm a permanent employee with all the benefits.

Kriss
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

trouncer is on a distinguished road

Iain Mc. - I've PM'd you with my details. Hope it's ok. It you have problems getting back to me, let me know.

Thanks