Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Netflix series about Canada?

Netflix series about Canada?

Old Jul 9th 2018, 4:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Netflix series about Canada?

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Just watched. The Shipping News

Saw a step ladder in the bedroom but not sure why.
Because it's what Canadians have, it's about authenticity.
Old Jul 9th 2018, 6:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Because it's what Canadians have, it's about authenticity.
Sounds a bit random, just having something odd for no reason other than to share having it. If there were an attic door in that room, that would make sense.

In the 20 or so homes I've been in here - including the bedrooms - what struck me was the number of religious tracts and symbols displayed. Definitely not ladders.
Old Jul 9th 2018, 6:56 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Danii_i
Hallo everyone
Would you be able to recommend any Netflix series/movies about Canada? Either documentaries or fiction?
Our story: applied for FWS back in 2015, soft landed in Toronto in May 2016, PR cards received, were planning to move to Canada sooner but have been blessed with a baby so postponed the decission to move.

Many thanks in advance
I'd recommend having a look at the large database of Canadian film on the National Film Board of Canada website (nfb.ca). I had a NFB app on my TV at one point. There's a lot of fiction and documentary film from the present to the past.
Old Jul 9th 2018, 7:11 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 9th 2018, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Shipping News. I watched it in a cinema full of Newfies and they all nodded and chuckled at the ladder.
Ever seen this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seducing_Doctor_Lewis

The Newfoundland version is quite cringeworthy and features Gordon Pinsent. You have been warned.
Old Jul 9th 2018, 7:30 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I like that film when it came out years ago. It was directed by Denys Arcand who also directed The Decline of the American Empire.
Old Jul 9th 2018, 7:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Ever seen this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seducing_Doctor_Lewis

The Newfoundland version is quite cringeworthy and features Gordon Pinsent. You have been warned.
I have not seen it and I will take your word that it is cringeworthy.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Danii_i is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Hello and welcome back!!

Do keep an eye on your timeline for retaining Permanent Residency.. you will need to return soon to meet the requirements.

To meet these residency obligations, you must be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) in every 5-year period - day one starts on the day you 'land'... so you will need to return before April next year and remain to retain your PR status.

Since we soft landed on 5 May 2016, we need to get back to Canada by end of April 2019 to maintain our PR status? We still be able to show that between 5 May 2016 and 4 May 2021 we will have lived for 2 years in Canada.
Is this correct?
Old Feb 8th 2019, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Since we soft landed on 5 May 2016, we need to get back to Canada by end of April 2019 to maintain our PR status? We still be able to show that between 5 May 2016 and 4 May 2021 we will have lived for 2 years in Canada.
Is this correct?
Yes but don't leave it until the very last minute unless Netflix have thoughts on this. Do you have PR cards? If not you will need a PRTD to return to Canada if flying into Canada.
Old Feb 9th 2019, 2:59 am
BE Enthusiast

suzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond repute

You’re all forgetting one of the best ones- Cool Runnings!! Haha
Set obviously at the 1988 Winter Olympics- living in Calgary, having my husband work at the university- and having been to the Olympic Park- I can confirm nothing has changed. (Though did you know they superimposed various mountain ranges so they’d be a lot closer to the city in the movie?!) apparently the Rockies aren’t good enough- and too far away apparently!)
The day before we left the UK, and our flight over here having never been to Canada before (so understandably nervous about what life would bring- and because we were arriving on Jan 4th to -30 temps), my husband and I kept jokingly asking each other if we had our lucky egg. (This will only make sense if you’ve seen the movie)
Old Feb 9th 2019, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

Brooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really nice

Is this correct?
I think they also take holidays etc. in to account. If you leave it to bang on 2 years you won’t be able to leave the country for those two years, even for a 2 week trip back to the U.K.! I could be wrong, but that’s my understanding.
Old Feb 9th 2019, 3:20 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brooks52

I think they also take holidays etc. in to account. If you leave it to bang on 2 years you won’t be able to leave the country for those two years, even for a 2 week trip back to the U.K.! I could be wrong, but that’s my understanding.
You are correct ANY day out of Canada - even going across the border to the US overnight - will not be counted for retention of Permanent Residency purposes.

Is this correct?

Counting from 5th May 2016 (landing and 'start date') - presuming that the soft landing included an overnight stay - in order to retain PR status I believe you would need to return to Canada before midnight 4th May 2019 and not leave again for any reason, until after 5th May 2021. The exact date would depend on how 'soft' the landing was - you need 730 days residency in Canada in the 5 year period from the date of landing (rolling).

Personally I wouldn't leave it that late - if an emergency or special event were to arise in the UK or elsewhere before May 2021 you wouldn't be able to go if you wished to retain your PR status.. plus there's always risks such as weather conditions / flight delays or cancellations or getting sick that could delay the return and end up costing you your PR status.

(Handy calculator for working a date 'backwards' Add or Subtract Number of Days to a Date Calculator )
How long must I stay in Canada to keep my permanent resident status?
Old Feb 9th 2019, 4:53 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Collie

I'm not at all sure that what Siouxie and Brook52 says is correct about not being able to leave Canada for 2 years if you soft-land, return to GB then come back to Canada on the latest possible date (i.e., on Day 269 or Day 270). Have a look at the chart above, which assumes that you need to be in Canada for 3 DAYS in every five DAY period, just to keep the numbers small and manageable.

Columns represent days. Black shading in Row 2 indicates that you were outside Canada on that day, Green that you were in Canada.
You soft-land on day 1 (green) then leave for 3 days (black), returning on Day 5. You stay in Canada on Day 6. Then you leave for a holiday in the UK and are outside Canada on days 7 & 8, and return to Canada on Day 9. Does this meet the residency requirement?
I think it does, The orange bars show all possible 5-day periods, and you can see that our traveller seems to be in Canada for the mandatory 2 days out of 5 in each case, as shown in the final column. This shows the number of "green" days above each orange time period.

Please don't base any important decisions on this, but it looks to me that if the residency requirement is simply to be in Canada for 270 days in any five year period, and you return to Canada after soft-landing on the very last date that you're allowed to, then afer staying in Canada for 3 weeks you should be able to go back to the UK for about 3 weeks (or less) without a problem. (I say "for about 3 weeks" because it might be sensible to lop a couple of days off the holiday for safety's sake, because I'm not sure whether the day you arrive and the day you depart are counted as being present in Canada.) But I certainly can't see how you have to stay in Canada for 2 years before being able to leave!
Then you are a bit thick. (sorry).
Old Feb 9th 2019, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

Collie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond repute

Show me precisely where my logic is incorrect then.
Old Feb 9th 2019, 5:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Collie
Show me precisely where my logic is incorrect then.
Because if you did leave Canada after landing, return for only 3 weeks and then back to the UK again, you simply wouldn't meet the residency requirements. It's 730 days out of every 5 years period, so the clock starts ticking the minute you land. Hence the advice to not leave it until the last minute as if you then wait 3 years after landing to return to Canada, you'd have to spend every day there to get those 730 days in before the end of the 5 year period - meaning you can't leave even for a night.

HTH.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.