Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Neighbourhoods in Medicine Hat

Neighbourhoods in Medicine Hat

Old Jun 8th 2009, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

cathcrow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Neighbourhoods in Medicine Hat

Hi I am moving to Medicine Hat with my young family early next year. I will be working around 1st Ave SW, but wondered if anyone could recommend the best neighbourhoods for a young family to live in. Ideally we want something that is pretty central, near to the shops, within walking distance of nice parks and nice and safe for my two young girls.

We will be renting at first but want to enrol the girls in school in an area where we have a good chance of settling and buying- so don't want to go in completely blind.

Also, if anyone could recommend the best Catholic preschool/ or elementary school that would be great too, as it will be a big factor in our choice too.

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 8th 2009, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Neighbourhoods in Medicine Hat

Hi,
my sister-in-law lives in the SE and loves it! There are beautiful homes along River Road, 1st, 2nd 3rd etc. all close to the walkpaths along the river and the coulee. Also pretty central and easy to get to everything. Excellent middle school on 6th St SE. I think there's only one high school anyhow.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

dan_nick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Neighbourhoods in Medicine Hat

Hello,

Medicine Hat has some lovely neighborhoods,

Rossglen is a nice area for young families and has at least two elementary schools one being Catholic, nice parks, the Mall, Superstore and Walmart is all within walking distance.

Crescents Heights is cheaper I am unsure about the elementary schools,I think a new Costco has just been built in that area and a great indoor leisure centre is also there but all major shops you will have to drive to.

I also love the SE hill but it is hit and miss with the neighborhoods some good and some really run down houses it is close to Downtown but downtown is more business sector than shopping, if your children are of High school age this is where the Junior High School is and Medicine Hat high There are two other high schools, Crescent Heights High & McCoy High(catholic).

I never lived on Riverside but it is a lovely part of town the traffic can be busy, well busy for Medicine Hat. Another good neighborhood for young families is Southridge this is near the College good for renting but not much with in walking distance.

Hope this helps, I grew up in Medicine Hat and the whole my my family still live there, my eldest son has just moved back this year to attend College and he is enjoying it there.

Good Luck