Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

in need of urgent advice

in need of urgent advice

Old May 24th 2009, 5:15 pm

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: in need of urgent advice

Originally Posted by JAGUAR7
i think we have come to some sort of agreement,and it amazed me.
my partner came home saying she had been thinking of what i said.
she wants to sell the static caravan,she doesnt want to go on her own,she wants me to do a minimum 2 years,she will come over a few times to see if she would like it.if she doesnt then we have to try something else.so ive got 2 years to make some money,show her decent places that she may like,and just try and convince her that we could have a good life in canada.
its a start!!!!!
And where better to show her
I have been here in lethbridge for 8mths now and love the area, the people are awesome and i cant get over how much there is to do with a young family

For us i would not want to be anywhere else, if your OH wants to talk to me feel free, took my hubby 7yrs to get me to even visit the canada, now you will not get me to leave and my kids are free, something i wanted for such a long time....
I know another couple who are doing the same as yourself, but she is joining him later next year, he will also be in his cab, i am sure "THE FIRM" will connect you both, if not then feel free to yell

LB
Old May 24th 2009, 6:26 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

i think we have come to some sort of agreement,and it amazed me.
my partner came home saying she had been thinking of what i said.
she wants to sell the static caravan,she doesnt want to go on her own,she wants me to do a minimum 2 years,she will come over a few times to see if she would like it.if she doesnt then we have to try something else.so ive got 2 years to make some money,show her decent places that she may like,and just try and convince her that we could have a good life in canada.
its a start!!!!!
I agree with your partner, tbh. Why should she give up her nearly paid for house, for a maybe? What if you two split up - where would that leave her? In this current climate, and under the circumstances you describe, it would be an insane move for her.
Old May 24th 2009, 7:31 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
I agree with your partner, tbh. Why should she give up her nearly paid for house, for a maybe? What if you two split up - where would that leave her? In this current climate, and under the circumstances you describe, it would be an insane move for her.
It kind of leaves her in the same position he's been in for 8 years living in a home he doesn't own!!! Anyway, life is a risk...if we never take any where the fun in it!
Old May 24th 2009, 8:54 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlirtyKnickers
It kind of leaves her in the same position he's been in for 8 years living in a home he doesn't own!!! Anyway, life is a risk...if we never take any where the fun in it!
Then I'd be asking why that is, rather than why one person has to compromise their financial security to pay for someone else's dream. It is not a risk, it is reckless. It's no "fun" when a risk goes pear shaped. The OP has nothing to lose. She does.
Old May 24th 2009, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nice

Originally Posted by Edo
Short answer - if she can make her choices, why cant YOU ?
I agree with that so much. You need to make your own choices. Just been severely burned for exactly the same thing - making sure the other person got their needs met while neglecting my own. Guess who ends up being hurt?
Old May 24th 2009, 9:25 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
Then I'd be asking why that is, rather than why one person has to compromise their financial security to pay for someone else's dream. It is not a risk, it is reckless. It's no "fun" when a risk goes pear shaped. The OP has nothing to lose. She does.
I don't think the OP is forcing her to make this decision, she's done that on her own. In the same breathe you can't stifle someone else's dream nor guilt trip them into giving up. Anyway, i don't know enough about Jag situation to argue the finer details...i just wish him well...
Old May 25th 2009, 4:29 pm
Account Closed

dontrush2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I won't dare offer an opinion on the personal issues raised, but one thing does intrigue me: When you said about "Living in the truck" I assume you mean a transport truck. Do you already have an A-Z or D-Z licence for Canada, or maybe you are a Canadian citizen? Just curious, as I held an HGV1 for almost 25 yrs and it is of no use here, I am having to take my licences all over again. Maybe you know something I don't, and I'd be really interested to know if you know of a way around all this stuff, or maybe I have hold of the wrong end of the stick! Thanks!
Old May 25th 2009, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

farjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lancashirebird
And where better to show her
I have been here in lethbridge for 8mths now and love the area, the people are awesome and i cant get over how much there is to do with a young family

For us i would not want to be anywhere else, if your OH wants to talk to me feel free, took my hubby 7yrs to get me to even visit the canada, now you will not get me to leave and my kids are free, something i wanted for such a long time....
I know another couple who are doing the same as yourself, but she is joining him later next year, he will also be in his cab, i am sure "THE FIRM" will connect you both, if not then feel free to yell

LB
haha already 'connected' on here LB
Old May 25th 2009, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

farjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontrush2
I won't dare offer an opinion on the personal issues raised, but one thing does intrigue me: When you said about "Living in the truck" I assume you mean a transport truck. Do you already have an A-Z or D-Z licence for Canada, or maybe you are a Canadian citizen? Just curious, as I held an HGV1 for almost 25 yrs and it is of no use here, I am having to take my licences all over again. Maybe you know something I don't, and I'd be really interested to know if you know of a way around all this stuff, or maybe I have hold of the wrong end of the stick! Thanks!
Hi

My OH is doing the same as Jag......apart from I can't wait to move over too!!

The boys (or girls!!) have to take the Canadian test to drive trucks over there too to be able to have a driving job...don't ask me the ins and outs about it though coz I haven't a clue sorry but I don't think there is any way around it.
Old May 27th 2009, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

JAGUAR7 has a brilliant futureJAGUAR7 has a brilliant futureJAGUAR7 has a brilliant futureJAGUAR7 has a brilliant futureJAGUAR7 has a brilliant futureJAGUAR7 has a brilliant futureJAGUAR7 has a brilliant future

DINGBAT.
were does it say that im asking her to give the house up.ive not asked her to give anything up,job,house or even the caravan.she can make that choice if everything goes ok.as for me,ive got none of them too give up.
Old May 27th 2009, 5:59 am
Cynically amused.

DINGBAT.
......she can make that choice if everything goes ok.as for me,ive got none of them too give up.
Exactly. I think you may be misunderstanding my point?
Old May 27th 2009, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
How people can engage in this sort of blatant emotional blackmail is beyond me. Why do they assume that their children and grandchildren will stay around them in today's global society

I do not want my daughters to live their lifes for us. Where ever my daughters end up, I will be sure to visit them, and isn't it a great opportunity to see another part of the world!

Threats like disowning would only make me wonder why am I staying to be abused like this.

We did hear similar half hearted attempts when we announced our dream. But me being a mean b'stard to them to deal with it. We are going back to the UK this year to spend two full weeks with Jule's parents in Whitby having a great time. My parents have not even asked when we are landing (they are aware we are coming over).

Jules and her Mum speak weekly and more often if they wish (we have PRIMUS $25 per month for unlimited calls to UK).

I think I have called home less than 10 times in the last 3.5 years, in return I have received less than 5 calls from my family in the same time. Funny how it is expected that we should be the ones making the effort to call/visit/fit in with their expectations. On our last visit we travelled 3,500 miles to get to the UK, drive hundreds of miles visiting relatives and some people couldn't be @rsed to drive to the local restuarant to have lunch with us.

OK rant over
Sounds familiar. We have always had to make the calls. We have been told it's too expensive, but I don't believe that.
You find out who really misses you if you stop calling.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 9:05 pm
Account Closed

dontrush2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by farjojo71
Hi

My OH is doing the same as Jag......apart from I can't wait to move over too!!

The boys (or girls!!) have to take the Canadian test to drive trucks over there too to be able to have a driving job...don't ask me the ins and outs about it though coz I haven't a clue sorry but I don't think there is any way around it.
Hi!
No, theres no way around it that I'm aware of, and thats why I am intrigued as to how he is going straight to a driving job. I know that in Ont. here, it is a complete course lasting quite a few weeks and costs a few thousand to get through it. Hence why I am interested in the aspect of getting a job offer when you're not qualified for the job ( on paper I mean, not in actual experience!) I recall applying for a job in US many years ago and they were looking for people with HGV's, CPC's ADR etc., but when it came to it, the Govt wouldn't allow the company to "import " drivers as there were plenty in the country already, so I didn't get to go. The point I'm making here is that it would appear that there is some sort of US/UK exchange on truck licences, but not UK/Canada (that I'm aware of) I stand to be corrected as that was 20 yrs ago!
Old Jun 8th 2009, 9:23 pm

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by farjojo71
haha already 'connected' on here LB

Originally Posted by Keith
Sounds familiar. We have always had to make the calls. We have been told it's too expensive, but I don't believe that.
You find out who really misses you if you stop calling.

Yep my OH side are the same, although they do deals through virgin and bt/sky offer a good package of free international calls, so there is no excuse, we do msn, but to tell the truth its about 10mins as they have nothing to say
On the other hand me and mum speak all the time, msn at weekend with kids and its so cute when the kids hug the screen..............

Originally Posted by dontrush2
Hi!
No, theres no way around it that I'm aware of, and thats why I am intrigued as to how he is going straight to a driving job. I know that in Ont. here, it is a complete course lasting quite a few weeks and costs a few thousand to get through it. Hence why I am interested in the aspect of getting a job offer when you're not qualified for the job ( on paper I mean, not in actual experience!) I recall applying for a job in US many years ago and they were looking for people with HGV's, CPC's ADR etc., but when it came to it, the Govt wouldn't allow the company to "import " drivers as there were plenty in the country already, so I didn't get to go. The point I'm making here is that it would appear that there is some sort of US/UK exchange on truck licences, but not UK/Canada (that I'm aware of) I stand to be corrected as that was 20 yrs ago!
The company that these guys are going to bring guys in from all over, they have LMO approval, ok there are not the best company in the world, but which one is They are all put up in a hotel whilst they pass there tests, then it is upto them if they sleep in there cabs or bring there familys in.................
Things have changed so much over the years, if you have the experience on paper, the company can do the LMO, then yep they can get the driver

Good luck guys, fingers crossed the weather is good and don't clog our roads up too much