Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Need some input on where to move to.....currently in AB.

Need some input on where to move to.....currently in AB.

Old Sep 1st 2008, 9:38 pm

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Need some input on where to move to.....currently in AB.

10 mins drive from a city is about my limit, but the more I look at the property prices the more I think about Windsor, and they have a masters in social work there too!

So come on Windsorites let me hear from ya lol

Mrs M x
Old Sep 1st 2008, 9:52 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Bit cold in Ontario innit?

I'd seriously consider a town in the BC interior if you like warmer / dryer weather.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 10:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of things:

- the lack of cultural diversity in Newfoundland is understated on this thread. If you are black and go to Fogo Island people will want to touch you to see if you're real.

- lots of good Indian food in Toronto and Brampton.

- London Ont is populated by Scottish people who hate everyone. A black person would be better off in Newfoundland.

- Kingston is a bit town and gown. The big employers are the university and the many prisons. There's a magnetic anomaly there so don't navigate just by compass.

- Windsor has a lot going for it if you can find, or don't need, a job.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 1:07 am
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
A couple of things:

- the lack of cultural diversity in Newfoundland is understated on this thread. If you are black and go to Fogo Island people will want to touch you to see if you're real.

London Ont is populated by Scottish people who hate everyone. A black person would be better off in Newfoundland.
- Kingston is a bit town and gown. The big employers are the university and the many prisons. There's a magnetic anomaly there so don't navigate just by compass.

Mr DBD33

Would you like to elaborate on this statement, me being Scottish and living in London, and not hating everyone !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your normally good on BE at backing up what you say, so where or what is your evidence !!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 1:13 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Voyager970
Mr DBD33

Would you like to elaborate on this statement, me being Scottish and living in London, and not hating everyone !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your normally good on BE at backing up what you say, so where or what is your evidence !!!!!!!!!!!

I have no physical evidence, however I had a prolonged affair with an eastern European exhibitionist woman who did her PhD, in philosophy already, in London. Her vivid accounts of being unacceptably foreign disinclined me ever to visit.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 1:21 am
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of things:

- London Ont is populated by Scottish people who hate everyone. A black person would be better off in Newfoundland.

Would have to agree with you there - there is lots of culture here in various forms, but it just doesn't have the diversity. What's surprising though, is that when we came and got our work permits at point of entry, there were heaps of people from all over with study/work permits. One of our friends recently worked for immigration and citizenship and was surprised at how many foreigners there were in Newfoundland. They certainly don't have a high profile out and about which is a sad thing.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 1:26 am
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

I have no physical evidence, however I had a prolonged affair with an eastern European exhibitionist woman who did her PhD, in philosophy already, in London. Her vivid accounts of being unacceptably foreign disinclined me ever to visit.
Perhaps you should pop down to London and have a beer with me, get yourself out of the GTA area and see if I hate you or everyone else !!!
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

happy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mrs Miggins
We are deciding where to move to next, and are pretty sure that BC will be too expensive, so have been thinking about Ontario, basically, I love Lethbridge but there are few boxes it doesn't tick for me...We came here not knowing that the OHs employer can let him live anywhere in Canada, thus we now are considering moving. The prairies do my head in to be honest, and being a 20 hour drive from the coast doesn't do it for me as I have always lived 10 mins away from the coast, or so I can look out my window and see the see. However the coast isn't the be all and end all.

The things I am looking for are..........

A vibrant place to live, cultural diversity etc

Good Education (Uni close by)

Resonable crime rate

Reasonable housing costs.

The OH and I honestly thought we may not make this decision for quite some time yet, but we are tentatively testing the water and would consider upsticks and moving in the Summer of next year.

I would really appreciate any info, views, advice, dos and don't's.....and like I say we love the bridge and would stay for longer without issue, but don't quite see ourselves here long term so are considering making the move much sooner.

Mrs M x
Medicine Hat!
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 4:11 am

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah right lol! xx
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 4:15 am
Just Joined

pedrochilli is an unknown quantity at this point

The wack of course best super sweet jubilee and sea to sky just for you!
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

Summer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really nice

I know when I was looking at Ontario, I seriously considered Windsor, I thought the town itself looked quite pretty (a big draw for me) and if your Masters is there then it seems like a sensible option. I also seriously considered Niagara-on-the-lake or St Catherines. The commute to Toronto is doable and the towns themselves are just beautiful. I think Niagara College has a Social work course and when you finish you could always find a course in Toronto to complete your degree... just a suggestion.

I still have Ontario in the back of my mind as it was the first place we thought of going, I like you think I would miss the coast to much, I have never lived inland, even in Australia we were 5 minutes away from the coast, I just don't if I would cope!
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 2:34 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

if you are after the culture and the life, then London, plus check out St Thomas for property prices or on the outskirts of london

Like in prev post there is port stanley for the lake and a bit seaside resort style, but a lovely town, too quiet for me, but a great place to visit if you miss the water

But for everything your looking for you can easily find in london, plus some fab places to eat, uni etc, not sure if they do the courses that your looking for
Worth looking on MLS etc, we saw some fab houses there, both in and out of town and the further out you go, the bigger the house

Moondevil
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 3:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Voyager970
Perhaps you should pop down to London and have a beer with me, get yourself out of the GTA area and see if I hate you or everyone else !!!

Will gladly drink beer with you if I ever have cause to go down there.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 3:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Summer-Caitlin
I also seriously considered Niagara-on-the-lake or St Catherines. The commute to Toronto is doable and the towns themselves are just beautiful.
Weekly, perhaps.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

Summer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really nice

Weekly, perhaps.
Really, my friend lived in St Catherines and did a daily commute for 3 years to University of Toronto, although she didn't like the commute, it was certainly doable!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.