Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Need some input on where to move to.....currently in AB.

Need some input on where to move to.....currently in AB.

Old Aug 31st 2008, 3:14 am

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need some input on where to move to.....currently in AB.

We are deciding where to move to next, and are pretty sure that BC will be too expensive, so have been thinking about Ontario, basically, I love Lethbridge but there are few boxes it doesn't tick for me...We came here not knowing that the OHs employer can let him live anywhere in Canada, thus we now are considering moving. The prairies do my head in to be honest, and being a 20 hour drive from the coast doesn't do it for me as I have always lived 10 mins away from the coast, or so I can look out my window and see the see. However the coast isn't the be all and end all.

The things I am looking for are..........

A vibrant place to live, cultural diversity etc

Good Education (Uni close by)

Resonable crime rate

Reasonable housing costs.

The OH and I honestly thought we may not make this decision for quite some time yet, but we are tentatively testing the water and would consider upsticks and moving in the Summer of next year.

I would really appreciate any info, views, advice, dos and don't's.....and like I say we love the bridge and would stay for longer without issue, but don't quite see ourselves here long term so are considering making the move much sooner.

Mrs M x
Old Aug 31st 2008, 3:26 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need some input on where to move to.....currently in AB.

Originally Posted by Mrs Miggins
We are deciding where to move to next, and are pretty sure that BC will be too expensive, so have been thinking about Ontario, basically, I love Lethbridge but there are few boxes it doesn't tick for me...We came here not knowing that the OHs employer can let him live anywhere in Canada, thus we now are considering moving. The prairies do my head in to be honest, and being a 20 hour drive from the coast doesn't do it for me as I have always lived 10 mins away from the coast, or so I can look out my window and see the see. However the coast isn't the be all and end all.

The things I am looking for are..........

A vibrant place to live, cultural diversity etc

Good Education (Uni close by)

Resonable crime rate

Reasonable housing costs.

The OH and I honestly thought we may not make this decision for quite some time yet, but we are tentatively testing the water and would consider upsticks and moving in the Summer of next year.

I would really appreciate any info, views, advice, dos and don't's.....and like I say we love the bridge and would stay for longer without issue, but don't quite see ourselves here long term so are considering making the move much sooner.

Mrs M x
Kingston, Ontario maybe? No sea, but lots of lakes nearby. Everything else on your list appears to be there.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 3:39 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

BC's not too expensive if you rent rather than own. Would you consider that?
Old Aug 31st 2008, 3:47 am

Hiya Bazz, thanks for the reply to be honest, nah we wouldn't. Just doesn't feel right if you know what I mean........

Any other ideas? Anywhere that you would suggest? Fancy a new neighbour

Hope you are well
Mrs M x
Old Aug 31st 2008, 3:50 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Cultural diversity, coastal, in Canada? I'm not sure that exists outside BC.

We used to own our own places in London and I definitely prefer renting. Life's too short for DIY.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

pint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud of

Montreal.

(I haven't been there in 10 years or so but it was my first thought based on your list.)
Old Aug 31st 2008, 4:35 am
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

Have you thought at all about the Maritimes?

Newfoundland would tick a lot of your boxes - miles and miles of coastline, low crime rates, affordable housing, good education with memorial university.

However, does fall down on the cultural diversity - lots of culture, but tends to be of the squiddly diddly music type - lots of fun but maybe not that diverse!

(patiently awaits all the newfie jokes - don't care anyway cos i love it here!)
Old Aug 31st 2008, 4:53 am

So if I were to look at Kingston, can anyone tell me what areas are good/not so good to live in? Any links etc for info?

I was orginally bound for Ontario as I was accepted there to study, so I feel like we have been on a detour, I just need to establish where now.........

Totally open minded at this point to be honest!

Mrs M x
Old Aug 31st 2008, 4:59 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

So if I were to look at Kingston, can anyone tell me what areas are good/not so good to live in? Any links etc for info?

I was orginally bound for Ontario as I was accepted there to study, so I feel like we have been on a detour, I just need to establish where now.........

Totally open minded at this point to be honest!

Mrs M x
Cant help you with Kingston except to say I have heard nothing but good things about the place. The uni has a very good reputation as does the hospital.

I wouldnt recommend Peterborough itself but the area around here is pretty, lots of lakes for the water element. Go further east, around Belleville etc you get more house/land for your money.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 5:04 am

WOW! just looking at Kingston, soooooo ticking the boxes!

Going to do a lot more research and see what comes!

Any info advice would be GREATLY! appreciated

Mrs M X
Old Aug 31st 2008, 5:15 am
Account Closed

WOW! just looking at Kingston, soooooo ticking the boxes!

Going to do a lot more research and see what comes!

Any info advice would be GREATLY! appreciated

Mrs M X
Have sent you a pm. not that it has anything useful in it.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 5:25 am

The Queens Uni, doens't have anything Human Servies based such as Social Work etc, so that rules Kingston out.........

Any other suggestions peeps?

Keep em coming!

Mrs M x
Old Aug 31st 2008, 5:44 am
Account Closed

The Queens Uni, doens't have anything Human Servies based such as Social Work etc, so that rules Kingston out.........

Keep em coming!

Mrs M x
Fleming College in Pbro has Community service diplomas including Social Work and Education Assistant. Trent Uni doesnt do Social stuff. Loyalist College is in Belleville and they do Human stuff. Belleville is just along the lake from Kingston, and is very nice too.

Would you finish your program at Lethbridge or transfer? I am confused
Old Aug 31st 2008, 5:49 am

To be honest I don't know. I can study and finish mine via distance with Grant Macewan, and then go on to do my BA distance and my MA - I am intending to go in to counselling/ play therapy work to be honest, so I'd like to be based in a Uni town where there is an MA is SW or something similar....

Thanks for the advice though !

Mrs M X
Old Aug 31st 2008, 5:53 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Keep em coming!

Mrs M x
Do a BSW online Mrs M. Plenty of choice in Ontario. Then transfer into a MA in Psych Counselling or MSW.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.