British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   need some advice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/need-some-advice-587121/)

-POKERBABE- Jan 26th 2009 4:05 pm

need some advice

hi all im hoping to immigrate to saskatchewan with my oh and 2 sons age 8 and 6, We have not applied for any kind of visa yet, what i was wondering is if me and the family can go to canada as visitors, husband find a job then apply for twp while we are still there? or do we have to go find a job come back and wait for the process to happen while in the uk? were very impulsive ppl and would like to just go within the next few months does this sound possible? any advice would be appreciated also can any one tell me what moosejaw is like to live in? im currently running my own cafe in glasgow which we would be selling, cant handle the rain anymore lol. cant wait to hit the white stuff.

Siliconwombat Jan 26th 2009 4:14 pm

Re: need some advice

Wow!!! Youre brave! Dont blame you but wow!

I believe you can apply and stay in country but the process takes quite a while so you'd probably need a fair bit of cash to support yourselves with rent and food etc and also be pretty damn sure of getting LMO approval as well as a job. Theres loads more information about the whole process in the wiki. The link for its in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Good luck with your plans!

Tom

Quick guide to Canada Immigration: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick_...an_Immigration

Auld Yin Jan 26th 2009 4:26 pm

husband find a job

For your OH to work in Canada he will require a SIN.

Who can apply for a SIN?

If you are a Canadian citizen, a newcomer to Canada or a temporary resident, you need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to work in Canada or to receive benefits and services from government programs.

Have you ever been to Moose Jaw, Sk? Big change from Glasgow. I lived in Glasgow and in spent a week in Moose Jaw one day.

-POKERBABE- Jan 26th 2009 4:34 pm

hi yea my OH is a riggid truck driver just now, would he be able to apply for sin as a newcomer then? No ive never been to moosejaw but friends live near there so we thought it could be a possibilty, would u not recommend moosejaw? is there anywhere u can suggest as were looking to stay in a smaller community for the kids, just cant handle glasgow anymore, and on the net moosejaw got snowboarding facilities and driving jobs so thats why i thought there. any info appreciated.

Waltzing Matilda Jan 26th 2009 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by -POKERBABE- (Post 7214327)
hi all im hoping to immigrate to saskatchewan with my oh and 2 sons age 8 and 6, We have not applied for any kind of visa yet, what i was wondering is if me and the family can go to canada as visitors, husband find a job then apply for twp while we are still there? or do we have to go find a job come back and wait for the process to happen while in the uk? were very impulsive ppl and would like to just go within the next few months does this sound possible? any advice would be appreciated also can any one tell me what moosejaw is like to live in? im currently running my own cafe in glasgow which we would be selling, cant handle the rain anymore lol. cant wait to hit the white stuff.

Hi there.......well it is possible to come to Canada Canada as visitors, find someone willing to employ you, get an LMO and then get a visa. I did it, but I moved over here on my own, so I didn't have children to worry about......what will they do while your husband looks for work? I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think they can attend school if you are here on a visitors visa. Maybe someone could clarify this?

I didn't send my visa application off. I went down to the Canada/US border, did a trip around the flag pole and got my visa activated. Again, this was fine for me as I didn't have anyone else to worry about.

What kind of job would your OH be looking for?

Can't help with Moose Jaw as I have never been there.

Good luck.
x

Waltzing Matilda Jan 26th 2009 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by -POKERBABE- (Post 7214412)
hi yea my OH is a riggid truck driver just now, would he be able to apply for sin as a newcomer then? No ive never been to moosejaw but friends live near there so we thought it could be a possibilty, would u not recommend moosejaw? is there anywhere u can suggest as were looking to stay in a smaller community for the kids, just cant handle glasgow anymore, and on the net moosejaw got snowboarding facilities and driving jobs so thats why i thought there. any info appreciated.

You can get your SIN as soon as you get your TWP.

dbd33 Jan 26th 2009 4:43 pm

In my view moving to Moosejaw without a job would be daft, even if you're in Glasgow. I doubt there's snowboarding there due to the extreme lack of hills. If it's possible to find a truck driving job in Saskatchewan while standing there it's possible to do it from Scotland; have a look at the trucking forum.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=118

G586 Jan 26th 2009 4:47 pm

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Living...a_as_a_Visitor

-POKERBABE- Jan 26th 2009 4:56 pm

thanks for the replys my OH would be lookin for a driving job hopefully not long haul lol, and i was hopin the kids could go to school i thought they could if u pay till PR is approved. glad to hear it is possible, can i ask why daft ? i have been lookin for jobs for him on the net. and there is snowboarding in buffalo park 25 mins from moosejaw called white track, the other reason we were thinking saskatchewan was because i read about the pnp which sask does for truck drivin xx

dbd33 Jan 26th 2009 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by -POKERBABE- (Post 7214477)
glad to hear it is ossible, can i ask why daft ?

Because it is an extraordinarily expensive way to go about things. Why not get a job with a firm there and then move, the same as everyone else?

Waltzing Matilda Jan 26th 2009 5:06 pm

It is possible, but I was lucky as my LMO came through within a few weeks. I have heard of people waiting 3-6months for theirs.

I don't really know what the job situation is like for truck drivers Saskatchewan at the moment. I guess if there is a lot of work, then it shouldn't be too hard getting a positive LMO.

x

-POKERBABE- Jan 26th 2009 5:27 pm

that is what i want to do get a job with a firm then move im just askin if u can just move then find job thats all didnt know if it was possible.

and to answer your question like every one else is because im not everyone else lol we are very impulsive ppl and once we decided we wanted to go to canada that was it now i just wanna get there lol, im not sayin were doin it with our eyes shut cause were not im researching all i can and hopefully visiting in april but i just dont fancy waiting 2 years.

any info on saskatchewan would be appreciated also

Waltzing Matilda Jan 26th 2009 5:32 pm

Are you going the TWP route first?

dbd33 Jan 26th 2009 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by -POKERBABE- (Post 7214550)
that is what i want to do get a job with a firm then move im just askin if u can just move then find job thats all didnt know if it was possible.

and to answer your question like every one else is because im not everyone else lol we are very impulsive ppl and once we decided we wanted to go to canada that was it now i just wanna get there lol, im not sayin were doin it with our eyes shut cause were not im researching all i can and hopefully visiting in april but i just dont fancy waiting 2 years.

any info on saskatchewan would be appreciated also

If it takes two years to arrange a job from outside Canada then it`ll take two years to do it from inside Canada. If you`re in Canada you`ll have no income and will have to pay for schools and any medical costs you may incur as well as the day to day costs of living. Most people cannot afford to do that.

-POKERBABE- Jan 26th 2009 5:41 pm

i think were gettin our wires crossed , yes wre goin through twp route but what i mean is while were waiting on that to happen can we live in canada and try find job? we havent applied for anything yet thats why im askin before we do as i have heard that the pnp goes through quicker but not sure if we can apply for that if hes not doing long haul dring. sorry if im confusing got so much to ask, maybe buyin a small buisness in canada would be another option as we will be selling our cafe here to go.