Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Need plumbing/gas job

Need plumbing/gas job

Old Mar 12th 2012, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

dannymurray1888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Need plumbing/gas job

Been trying for a plumbing job anywere in canada, sent loads of emails and got no replys. Got a young family so wanted to get sponsered before i got there. Does any1 no any1 looking a good plumber, was told there is a massive shortage so some1 is bound to no some1,,, any help would be great cheers Danny
Old Mar 13th 2012, 12:27 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need plumbing/gas job

Who told you there was a massive shortage - or was it something you heard from a friend in the UK?

I know plumbers that have work coming out of their earoles - however all are self employed and work mostly on new builds.

Have you sat the journeyman / red seal exam to get your qualifications recognised in Canada? Without that you are not very desirable.

Do you realise that to hire a foreign worker an employer in Canada needs to prove that there are no Canadiand willing / able to do the job, so without,at the very least, a confirmation letter of being approved to sit the exams (you have to prove your UK training and work experience to get approval to challenge this) it's going to be tough.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 7:53 am
Just Joined

Yes I no I have to get them recognised in Canada but that is only a formality. The bc construction government are trying to enable us to do the exam here in Ireland but still waiting the out come. I was at a trade show in Dublin there a while back and the construction goverment in Alberta and BC said there is a massive shortage in both states and work would not b a problem. Guess I should fly out on my own to suss it out. Things are grim at home ,, cheers anyway man
Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:23 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dannymurray1888
Yes I no I have to get them recognised in Canada but that is only a formality. The bc construction government are trying to enable us to do the exam here in Ireland but still waiting the out come. I was at a trade show in Dublin there a while back and the construction goverment in Alberta and BC said there is a massive shortage in both states and work would not b a problem. Guess I should fly out on my own to suss it out. Things are grim at home ,, cheers anyway man
Lol - I like your optimism regarding passing the exam as being a formality

Can you elaborate on "construction government?" Do you mean there were representatives from the provinces construction trade there.

It's absolutely a good idea to test the water yourself, , do make sure when you meet with prospective employers that you can tell them you have looked into various routes for your immigration.

Are you thinking about applying for permanent residency or getting the employer to get a labour market opinion from HRSDC to allow them to employ you temporarily wi a view to you applying for pr later?

Have a read through the plumbing section of this forum, there are some Canadian related ones there which may help with some questions you have

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=119
Old Mar 13th 2012, 12:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Been trying for a plumbing job anywere in canada, sent loads of emails and got no replys. Got a young family so wanted to get sponsered before i got there. Does any1 no any1 looking a good plumber, was told there is a massive shortage so some1 is bound to no some1,,, any help would be great cheers Danny
How exactly are you applying for a job, you say you've 'sent loads of emails' but if that's all you've done, it's not surprising you've not had any response. Read the Job Hunting section of the Wiki to understand how important getting out there (or at the very least, picking up the phone) is.

Any reason you haven't applied for PR? That would obviously make you much more employable than if you need an employer to go through the paperwork/hassle/wait of the LMO application for you.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

hutchy100 will become famous soon enough

Do you really think it's that easy to pass? Do you have any gas material to study as i assure you its not that easy to pass i had to do a 6 week course for the gas fitting (i got told i had to do the course before i could take my exam)
Old Mar 13th 2012, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

Jjuk26canada is a jewel in the roughJjuk26canada is a jewel in the roughJjuk26canada is a jewel in the roughJjuk26canada is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by hutchy100
Do you really think it's that easy to pass? Do you have any gas material to study as i assure you its not that easy to pass i had to do a 6 week course for the gas fitting (i got told i had to do the course before i could take my exam)
Hi Hutchy, did you use any literature to study? if so what was the name of the book/s Thanks Jason
Old Mar 13th 2012, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jjuk26canada
Hi Hutchy, did you use any literature to study? if so what was the name of the book/s Thanks Jason
I'm off work today so il have to look for it and get back to you on it
Old Mar 13th 2012, 5:13 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

IT'S PROVINCES NOT STATES
Old Mar 13th 2012, 6:30 pm
Sawdust making harpy

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
IT'S PROVINCES NOT STATES
Thought that - decided not to comment - bahahahahaha
Old Mar 14th 2012, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jjuk26canada
I used csa training guides and got the gas safety books, i would say goto a training school even thoug it's a little money it helps a lot
Old Mar 14th 2012, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

DoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant future

Hi, on a more positive note, keep sending the emails. It worked for us, and then we came out for interviews last Feb 2011 as a result of lining up interviews beforehand. OH is automotive technician so he too needed the red seal but you dont need it right away so if you can get an employer to apply for an LMO , then you will apply for a work permit and once you are here you will have a better idea what will be required of you in order to pass the red seal. Dont give up if you are determined. We spent a year emailing prospective employers and now we are here. Good luck.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

Yea I do think it's a formality,, I passed my gas 3 times in the uk with NO problem what so ever... Do u think Canada is the only country with strict regulations and exams for gas. Thought I was still in America( that's states not provinces) really sorry for the mistake I hope you forgive me.. Glad all has worked out well for u,s Linda hope by next year we,ll b der also and cheers for the advice
Old Mar 15th 2012, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

Yea I do think it's a formality,, I passed my gas 3 times in the uk with NO problem what so ever... Do u think Canada is the only country with strict regulations and exams for gas. Thought I was still in America( that's states not provinces) really sorry for the mistake I hope you forgive me.. Glad all has worked out well for u,s Linda hope by next year we,ll b der also and cheers for the advice
Well i passed my gas exams more than 3 times, that includes domestic, commerical both LPG and NG, oil and my HVAC stuff and it's not that easy
Old Mar 15th 2012, 5:42 am
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

ha ha ha....we just needed a plumber and was laughed off the phone....they are soooooo busy and finally we got one from a friend of a friend of a friend etc.....had to wait over a week though....and my daughter has had to wait for over a month....there's alot of house building going on and they are busy and can be choosey....good luck and great once you get here....work a plenty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.