Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Need a motor in Ontario (Oakville)

Need a motor in Ontario (Oakville)

Old Aug 7th 2021, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

dogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Need a motor in Ontario (Oakville)

Hi Folks,

Anyone got any *good* recommendations from where to source a decent second hand motor as I have been Autotrader and a bunch of sites and thought I would ask the forum too?

We want to be mobile from day one and I guess initially just want a run-around that will get us from A to Z before we start looking at something more permanent and family friendly. If any of you know of someone or indeed yourselves looking to offload a car then please let me know as I am a serious buyer:-)

Also, myself and Mrs have loads of no claims (maximum) from UK that we would like to put to good use therefore any recommendations for insurance greatly received. I've seen some reference to a company called Johnsons on here but wondering if there were any others that won't take us to the cleaners?

As ever, thanks for taking the time to read and respond.
Old Aug 7th 2021, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

Lichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need a motor in Ontario (Oakville)

We hired a car for the first week or so you generally can’t drop into a car sales and buy a car to drive away in on the same day as far as I’m aware you need to sort licensing etc. Plenty of used car garages around Oakville try Cargurus also you need one that is Certified to be able to drive away some cars come with Certificate others may say we certify for x amount other will say certified.

We used Oakville Insurance Brokers they got a good deal for us through Aviva as they took into account our years of driving (not no claims).

Good luck on the move.
Old Aug 7th 2021, 7:28 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dogstar
Hi Folks,

Anyone got any *good* recommendations from where to source a decent second hand motor as I have been Autotrader and a bunch of sites and thought I would ask the forum too?

We want to be mobile from day one and I guess initially just want a run-around that will get us from A to Z before we start looking at something more permanent and family friendly. If any of you know of someone or indeed yourselves looking to offload a car then please let me know as I am a serious buyer:-)

Also, myself and Mrs have loads of no claims (maximum) from UK that we would like to put to good use therefore any recommendations for insurance greatly received. I've seen some reference to a company called Johnsons on here but wondering if there were any others that won't take us to the cleaners?

As ever, thanks for taking the time to read and respond.
With regards to insurance - have you got a copy of your drivers extract and letters from your insurers, per the wiki suggestions? Your no-claims won't be recognised here without them. There are also suggestions for insurers there (and lots of threads on the subject of Insurance - here's the search of BE on Google ) You could also try TD https://www.tdinsurance.com/products...-car-insurance
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Depar...ure_To_Do_List

and this thread Car insurance Ontario

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Car_Buying-Canada
and this : https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ...Canada#Ontario

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 7th 2021 at 8:49 pm. Reason: appears to be an issue with wiki links
Old Aug 7th 2021, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

dogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lichisadave
We hired a car for the first week or so you generally can’t drop into a car sales and buy a car to drive away in on the same day as far as I’m aware you need to sort licensing etc. Plenty of used car garages around Oakville try Cargurus also you need one that is Certified to be able to drive away some cars come with Certificate others may say we certify for x amount other will say certified.

We used Oakville Insurance Brokers they got a good deal for us through Aviva as they took into account our years of driving (not no claims).

Good luck on the move.
Thank You!
Old Aug 8th 2021, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lichisadave

Good luck on the move.
Thanks for the feedback and I think the rental option is what we will go with initially and still good to know we require "certified" vehicles.
Old Aug 8th 2021, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
With regards to insurance - have you got a copy of your drivers extract and letters from your insurers, per the wiki suggestions? Your no-claims won't be recognised here without them. There are also suggestions for insurers there (and lots of threads on the subject of Insurance - here's the search of BE on Google ) You could also try TD https://www.tdinsurance.com/products...-car-insurance
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Depar...ure_To_Do_List

and this thread Car insurance Ontario

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Car_Buying-Canada
and this : https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ...Canada#Ontario

Yes thanks for this and we have drivers extract and proof of no claims and we have maximum no claims and hoping that translates into something useful out there.