Reload this Page >

UK to BC - IT Professionals

UK to BC - IT Professionals

Old Feb 20th 2015, 10:58 am
Just Joined

MrGibbs is an unknown quantity at this point
Post UK to BC - IT Professionals

Hi All,

New to the forums, just looking for some advice. I'm 20 years old, currently looking to move to Canada, probably somewhere in BC, by time I'm 25. I'm currently an IT support engineer and have been in this job for 3 years, so I'll have at least another 3 years experience and hopefully a better job title by then.

I was just wondering if anyone else does IT in Canada and how often jobs for IT is advertised and if there is much chance of someone like myself emigrating. I have no family in Canada, I'm really just looking to start from scratch.

I was thinking of doing a 2 year working holiday, but those spots seem to go fast, if anyone has advice on these as well that would be appreciated.

Regards,
MrGibbs
Old Feb 21st 2015, 10:17 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to BC - IT Professionals

I think systems analyst/administrator is still one of the allowed jobs under the SW quota, is it 5,000 a year? I forget. Toronto is really the place to go at the moment, there is a shortage of Windows administrators there. There is here and elsewhere too but Toronto is a larger city.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 12:02 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Steve_
I think systems analyst/administrator is still one of the allowed jobs under the SW quota, is it 5,000 a year? I forget. Toronto is really the place to go at the moment, there is a shortage of Windows administrators there. There is here and elsewhere too but Toronto is a larger city.
1. The Skilled Work program with caps and a list ended 31/12/14. The program now is Express Entry.
2. The OP would have to input a profile in Express Entry: Apply to immigrate to Canada
3. It is pointless for him/her at this stage, since they wish to move in the future, but it wouldn't hurt to look.
Old Mar 8th 2015, 1:54 pm
Been here 8 years now...

Steve.gibbs007 is a splendid one to beholdSteve.gibbs007 is a splendid one to beholdSteve.gibbs007 is a splendid one to beholdSteve.gibbs007 is a splendid one to beholdSteve.gibbs007 is a splendid one to beholdSteve.gibbs007 is a splendid one to beholdSteve.gibbs007 is a splendid one to beholdSteve.gibbs007 is a splendid one to beholdSteve.gibbs007 is a splendid one to beholdSteve.gibbs007 is a splendid one to beholdSteve.gibbs007 is a splendid one to behold

I just wanted to add - you may not be on your own here, I see you are a namesake of mine. I could look after you like one of my own. Nurture you, show you the way - how I made it through the rain etc.

I'm here now, probably staying. Let me know if I can help.

Old Mar 8th 2015, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

MrGibbs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve.gibbs007
I just wanted to add - you may not be on your own here, I see you are a namesake of mine. I could look after you like one of my own. Nurture you, show you the way - how I made it through the rain etc.

As much help as I can get would greatly be appreciated!

Originally Posted by Steve.gibbs007

Just send me a message

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 8th 2015 at 5:43 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2015, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

Be careful who you meet on the internet and besides that Working Holiday ain't a bad option for a young person exploring their options IMHO. There are plenty of IT jobs - just start perusing job sites and Canadians generally like in person contact (phone, face to face etc)
Best wishes.
Old Mar 9th 2015, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

doubleym is a jewel in the roughdoubleym is a jewel in the roughdoubleym is a jewel in the roughdoubleym is a jewel in the rough

BC seems pretty solid for IT work, at least for development. I've had a never ending stream of contact from recruiters over the last 2 years, there appears to be more work going around than there are people to do it.

If you're considering the IEC, do it. That's the best option, you can get out here, get established, find work and at the same time get into the Express Entry system, apply for Provincial Nomination to boost you through etc. Also if you decide you hate it you can just head back and you've not wasted thousands on PR-related expenses.