Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Need a letter from the British Consulate for car insurance history?

Wikiposts

Need a letter from the British Consulate for car insurance history?

Old Jun 16th 2009, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold
Default Need a letter from the British Consulate for car insurance history?

We've been in Ontario for 2.5 years now, and are sick of being screwed on car insurance.

We've been calling around, and have been told by 2 different insurance agencies that if we get a letter from the British Consulate stating that we had clean driving histories in the UK then we will get a significant discount.

I don't understand why the British Consulate would care, let alone keep records, of a clean driving history other than potentially stating that we had never been charged with a driving offence?

We have got letters from our insurance agency in the UK stating 8 years no claims, and we have photocopies of our UK driver's licences showing when they were issued etc. to support driving experience.

Just wondering if anyone else has been asked for a letter from the Consulate - it seems really odd to me.

Last edited by cov-canuck; Jun 16th 2009 at 4:45 am. Reason: It helps to finish sentences.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 5:11 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need a letter from the British Consulate for car insurance history?

Sounds bizarre - think they're getting confused with a DVLA history and/or proof of claim free years from previous insurance in the UK.....

Who are you with? Have you spoken to Johnson's?
Old Jun 16th 2009, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
We've been in Ontario for 2.5 years now, and are sick of being screwed on car insurance.

We've been calling around, and have been told by 2 different insurance agencies that if we get a letter from the British Consulate stating that we had clean driving histories in the UK then we will get a significant discount.

I don't understand why the British Consulate would care, let alone keep records, of a clean driving history other than potentially stating that we had never been charged with a driving offence?

We have got letters from our insurance agency in the UK stating 8 years no claims, and we have photocopies of our UK driver's licences showing when they were issued etc. to support driving experience.

Just wondering if anyone else has been asked for a letter from the Consulate - it seems really odd to me.
How are you being screwed? Who are you with at the moment? How much do you pay? What kind of vehicle? What level of cover?

I went through TD Insurance in Toronto - $1700 a year was expensive but half what anyone else wanted to charge. In effect, I was a new driver, having gained an Ontario license by swapping from a UK one. TD were the only insurer who were prepared to offer discounts on the basis of a clean record.

But after 2.5 years, you should be seeing reductions already.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

We are with State Farm currently - we have life insurance, home insurance, and insurance for 2 cars with them (so multiline discounts galore), with a $500 deductable. The cars are a Kia Sportage and a Kia Rio5 (both 2006) so not exactly flashy vehicles. One of our vehicles is "occasional use", and only one is used for commuting. We currently pay close to $4000 for the two of us, both with over 10 years driving experience and no accidents. We were told to expect a significant discount after 2 years - it went down about $100.

Johnsons was one of the companies we just spoke to who requested the letter from the consulate.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 1:30 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Johnson's, only asked to see my insurance history letter from the UK, didn't ask to see my DVLA history that I came armed with.... Pay about $1600 for myself and the wife (who only has a G2) on a 2005 Ford Freestyle. Admittedly we don't get as much snow down here, but wouldn't think that would make a massive difference...
Old Jun 16th 2009, 6:07 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Our Allstate insurance renewal just went up from $230/month to $300/month.

The British Consulate will not be able to verify your no-claims history.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 7:29 pm
The Seldom Seen Kid

Buchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really nice

We are with State Farm currently - we have life insurance, home insurance, and insurance for 2 cars with them
I got quotes from State Farm when I lived in Milton in 2006. It was a husband/wife team in offices near the Go Xing on Thompson. Nice enough people but I later found out they were members of a Milton "business network"
that also included the realtor we rent the house from and a car salesman at the GM showrooms on Main. I think the realtor had set us up to her contacts as a "mark". Conclusion - Beware of friendly locals !!
Old Jun 17th 2009, 12:12 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

We currently pay close to $4000 for the two of us
That's what we pay, $2,000 or so per vehicle per year, I think that's usual for Ontario.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Buchan6
I got quotes from State Farm when I lived in Milton in 2006. It was a husband/wife team in offices near the Go Xing on Thompson. Nice enough people but I later found out they were members of a Milton "business network"
that also included the realtor we rent the house from and a car salesman at the GM showrooms on Main. I think the realtor had set us up to her contacts as a "mark". Conclusion - Beware of friendly locals !!
That is exactly who we are with. We only went with State Farm because I already had life insurance with them, and my parents recommended them (they both worked for State Farm in the late 70's, early 80's).
Old Jun 17th 2009, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
That's what we pay, $2,000 or so per vehicle per year, I think that's usual for Ontario.
Most of the people we work with say that $1100 - $1300 per car is more appropriate for our area (Milton/Cambridge)
Old Jun 17th 2009, 5:15 am
The Seldom Seen Kid

Buchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really nice

Most of the people we work with say that $1100 - $1300 per car is more appropriate for our area (Milton/Cambridge)
State Farm quoted me $180/month for "minivan"
Surprisingly, a small car ie Yaris was the same price.
Ended up getting sorted thro at scheme a work $100month.