Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

NB- Fredericton -v- Moncton -v- Saint John?

NB- Fredericton -v- Moncton -v- Saint John?

Old Aug 31st 2011, 9:47 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default NB- Fredericton -v- Moncton -v- Saint John?

Could I please tap the little grey cells of the New Brunswickers out there please? We are planning to head your way in October for three weeks and are planning on visiting the above three. We really want French to be an active part of our sons education and NB seems the best place for us for lots of reasons. Evidently we are going to visit the three, but could you give me a broad comparison of what the differences might be between living in one or the others? Advice would be most welcome and gratefully received.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 3:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NB- Fredericton -v- Moncton -v- Saint John?

Tangram's probably your best bet. He's experienced living in two of them.

When I researched the three (having decided to move to one of them), I had the impression that large parts of Saint John were a bit run down. Out of town is probably lovely.

Fredericton definitely looks nicer than Moncton. Housing's a bit more there. We chose Moncton as having a rental property and being central to everything was important to us and those options were better here.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 1:18 am
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Personal choice would be Saint John - not the centre which is somewhat run-down, but the outskirts - either the lovely coastal areas towards St. George / St. Andrews, where the scenery is spectacular or Rothesay / Quispamsis. However all of the people I have met from those areas have been very much English-speaking only.
If you want mainly French near Moncton you could look at Dieppe (which we found somewhat unfriendly) or Shediac / Grand Barachois / Cap Pele.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

We have lived in the Moncton vicinity for the past 4 years now. Its definitely the most French of the three. You don't have to live in Dieppe to hear French being spoken. A huge proportion of Moncton businesses have bilingual staff. In fact it can be a challenge sometimes to get a job if you don't have any French.

We live near Riverview on the other side of the river. It's not so French, but even here the local call centres pay a higher hourly rate to the French speakers.

The universite de Moncton is exclusively French, you have to go to Fredericton if you want to do English courses.

But the community college has courses in English as well as French.

I would say that Fredericton is the prettiest city and St John the least pretty (just my opinion).
Moncton for us was the most geographically well located.

Overall we like it here.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 1:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pennyhp
The universite de Moncton is exclusively French, you have to go to Fredericton if you want to do English courses.
There is Crandall, too, if you're prepared to sign up to pro-religion/homophobia.

Mount Allison Uni isn't far away

But the community college has courses in English as well as French.
Big college too. Several other colleges around as well. There's a nursing part of Uni of NB based here as well.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
We really want French to be an active part of our sons education and NB seems the best place for us for lots of reasons.
I know nothing about NB but my children were educated in French until the end of the Bac and had the opportunity of attending university in French. They participated in, amongst other francophone activities, a French language scout troop. This in Toronto. If NB works for other reasons then great but don't think you have to move there for the sake of education in French.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 5:04 pm
BE user by choice

MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Bless you all and thank you so much for your kind replies. I can't believe we are actually going to visit in October!! I sort of thought that a sort of triangle of Saint John, Moncton and Fredericton looked doable, and let us have a holiday at the same time! Hyper exciting!
Old Oct 9th 2011, 9:13 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

IMHO Fredericton is the best of the three (I would say that wouldnt I.... we looked at all three and chose Fredericton). Plenty of french spoken in Fredericton.

This Nov 5th will be our six year canniversary so we have quite a bit of experience here in Freddie beach
Old Oct 11th 2011, 2:06 pm
BE user by choice

I shall let you have my views too! Soon! I am super nervous and super excited, as 'I' am 'landing' on Saturday!!! and dragging my Canadian son and husband with me! Just as a bit of advice to anyone else planning such a trip..... I got the Lonely Planet, and Moon guides, and looked at a lot on line, but then I rang the New Brunswick Tourist Board, having looked at their website. A more helpful group one could not hope to meet, they posted me all sorts of information and were absolutely brill!
Old Oct 12th 2011, 12:43 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
I shall let you have my views too! Soon! I am super nervous and super excited, as 'I' am 'landing' on Saturday!!! and dragging my Canadian son and husband with me! Just as a bit of advice to anyone else planning such a trip..... I got the Lonely Planet, and Moon guides, and looked at a lot on line, but then I rang the New Brunswick Tourist Board, having looked at their website. A more helpful group one could not hope to meet, they posted me all sorts of information and were absolutely brill!
Congratulations and dont be afraid to ask if you have any questions
Old Oct 12th 2011, 5:43 pm
BE user by choice

Bless you and very many thanks!