British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   A national do not call list...finally, sort of (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/national-do-not-call-list-finally-sort-552223/)

Steve_P Jul 30th 2008 5:19 pm

A national do not call list...finally, sort of

Effective September 30th of this year we will be able to have our names placed on a do not call list and telemarketers will supposedly not be able to call.

Telemarketers bite the dust on Sept. 30

However, many organizations will be exempted under the rules.

Charities, political parties, polling firms, newspapers and companies that have done business with an individual over the past 18 months can continue to make unsolicited phone calls. Canadians who do not wish to receive such calls can ask at the time of a call to be removed from the organization's list, or contact them ahead of time and request the same.

Biiiiink Jul 30th 2008 5:22 pm

Re: A national do not call list...finally, sort of

Hallelujah :thumbup:

Butch Cassidy Jul 30th 2008 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Biiiiink (Post 6628788)
Hallelujah :thumbup:

praise the lord and pass the ammunition:thumbsup:

Cookie Jul 30th 2008 6:07 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you ............... that's me registered :thumbsup:

G77 Jul 30th 2008 6:25 pm

And you actually think this will work?

We've had one here for ages called TPS - makes NO difference! Especially since it doesn't stop people calling from India etc....

Bill_S Jul 30th 2008 6:31 pm

If it works anything like the US version, you'll be very happy. Our junk calls went from 20-30 per day down to 2-3 literally overnight.

R I C H Jul 30th 2008 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Bill_S (Post 6629026)
If it works anything like the US version, you'll be very happy. Our junk calls went from 20-30 per day down to 2-3 literally overnight.

It's the overnight calls that are the most nuisance though :( ;)

Rob4BC Jul 30th 2008 6:45 pm

Hmmm....we live in hope.
Ta very much for the link Steve!
;)

Piff Poff Jul 30th 2008 11:31 pm

YAY! No more rushing off the loo to answer the phone to someone that wants me to donate or sell me windows!:thumbsup:

Why oh Why does the phone ring when yer on the loo or about to dish up yer eggs on toast???????

Oh! Just glanced throught the link, I will still be called to asked to donate and obscene amount of money for charity every week. aarrghh!

DaveLovesDee Jul 31st 2008 2:41 am

If I answer any of these calls, I just ask them to make a note on file that if they call again they'll learn some new swear words.

I also ask for the name of the caller and tell them I'm making a note for my records.

Biiiiink Jul 31st 2008 2:45 am

Originally Posted by CaptainHook (Post 6630405)
If I answer any of these calls, I just ask them to make a note on file that if they call again they'll learn some new swear words.

I also ask for the name of the caller and tell them I'm making a note for my records.

I'd say 8/10 of mine are automated...

Piff Poff Jul 31st 2008 3:01 am

Originally Posted by CaptainHook (Post 6630405)

That's all very well, but in practice you quite often find they've hung up 1st.

JimandNic Jul 31st 2008 3:16 am

Originally Posted by Steve_P (Post 6628775)
Effective September 30th of this year we will be able to have our names placed on a do not call list and telemarketers will supposedly not be able to call.

Telemarketers bite the dust on Sept. 30

You can sign up with this one too http://ioptout.ca/
- It aims to mop up all the categories not covered by the Government scheme.

Journeyman Electrician Jul 31st 2008 3:19 am

Now the only way to total avoid these un-unsolicited calls is to avoid giving out your real telephone number. Back in the UK you can get an 0870 number for a few quid and use this as your contact number the vast majority of call centres cannot dial these high rate numbers so no more problems. Should someone call you on this number you actually make money whilst they deliver their sales spill. I'm sure that a similar arrangement can be sought in Canada.

Souvenir Jul 31st 2008 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Biiiiink (Post 6630409)
I'd say 8/10 of mine are automated...

I get a lot of them. Answering the phone in English screws most of them up.

People flogging windows etc go away immediately if you say you rent.