Nanny 911

Old Mar 15th 2005, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

dawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant future
Default Re: Nanny 911

Originally Posted by babyblue
I would also like to add that my boss has been honest enough to tell me that she wishes to go out to work and could not be a stay at home mum. many women feel like this and if WE as good educators are the perfect substitute for these children.
i think the Supernanny is a great show as the problem often lays with the parents. Many children are being raised by parents who have no idea on parenting and i beleive there should be more of these parenting classes avaliable to parents of children and expectant mothers. Maybe we would also see a reduction in crime, voilence and more problematic children in the future.

So what is wrong with good possitve reinforcment TV shows? better than some of the violence we are seeing.
we need more of them and if you speak to most people that watch this they will tell you that they all learn new techniques.
thank god for the super nanny! thats what i say....
she has already rescued several families from distruction. I even thought of it myself as many nannies will tell you. It is the parents that the have the problems relating with. not the child.
Couldn't agree with you more!
Old Mar 15th 2005, 6:52 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by poeticjustice
I just believe society does not value children or our seniors because they do not generate votes or tax money.

We learn how to parent the way we were parented. I was an absolute horriable parent until I went to school for child development. Yes life stressors and family support play a large role but information also can "help". I will never be perfect but my kids will be as healthy as they can be and then the rest will be shared at the Thanksgiving dinner table!
I would add to the list of 'under valued people' all those mothers staying at home looking after their own children.

But back to the question - how would you deal with the expected (by me) high rate of failures in your test?

Mrs G

Old Mar 15th 2005, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

poeticjustice is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
I would add to the list of 'under valued people' all those mothers staying at home looking after their own children.

But back to the question - how would you deal with the expected (by me) high rate of failures in your test?

Mrs G
First a family would have to attend a workshop (Mommy, Daddy and Me or Mommy & Me depending on the family structure) to gain information. Then I think depending on ones level of knowledge on the test, if they failed I would develop a social program simular to the US Visiting Nurses program. The person would provide info in the home on day day child care, developmental expectations, parent/child communication, learn how to play etc. I develop parenting programs for a living now for a child protection government agency. Except for serious abuse cases I believe it is not that they/we are "bad" parents when we do not parent correctly, we are parents that may lack information.

Last edited by poeticjustice; Mar 15th 2005 at 7:11 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

The only comments I have on this subject are that I have watched the Nanny show and it seems to me that the Nanny is the only one of the group who seems to realize that the parents are supposed to be in charge. From what I have seen - all the parents and all the children seemed to assume that the kids were the ones calling the shots.

You have to wonder what the children would be like as adults if they continued like that. As I have not lived in England for a long time, I don't know if most English parents are like lots of N. American ones - they have been listening to the bleeding hearts and could not possibly tell their kids that there are things they are not allowed to do! There was one child on the show - maybe 3 or 4 - who constantly called his mother "poo, poo face" good lord - who would let their child get away with that???
Old Mar 15th 2005, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lizwil98
The only comments I have on this subject are that I have watched the Nanny show and it seems to me that the Nanny is the only one of the group who seems to realize that the parents are supposed to be in charge. From what I have seen - all the parents and all the children seemed to assume that the kids were the ones calling the shots.

You have to wonder what the children would be like as adults if they continued like that. As I have not lived in England for a long time, I don't know if most English parents are like lots of N. American ones - they have been listening to the bleeding hearts and could not possibly tell their kids that there are things they are not allowed to do! There was one child on the show - maybe 3 or 4 - who constantly called his mother "poo, poo face" good lord - who would let their child get away with that???
What would you do if your child at 3 or 4 called you poo poo face?
Old Mar 15th 2005, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

ScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really nice

What would you do if your child at 3 or 4 called you poo poo face?
I can't actually remember this but have been told that i called my mother something far worse than this when i was three I received a slap on the bum and no pudding and i didn't do it again!

Don't think that approach did me any harm what-so-ever, not sure but i think i would probably follow a similar approach with my own child (if i had one!).
Old Mar 16th 2005, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light

I am the modern day Mary Poppins!
I dont carry a bag as i have all my goods up my sleeve!

I beleive that the children are the future and we need to focus on these little human beings before they take over the world with distruction. :-)

As sad as it is but we read everyday about the rise in crime and violence. Parents are strugling to know how to deal with them and control this frustation.
Even good children are struggling to remain on the right path. My son is 14 and everyday peers are pressuring him to smoke weed and pop pils!
this may have been around when we were kids but is was no where near as bad. I am thankful that my son and I have an open relationship and he does discuss these things with me.
sad but true facts.

I never pretend to be the miracle worker but i know in my heart. that if i can make a difference to even one child then it is all worth it.

Originally Posted by Covenant
Yes, yes, but do you look like Mary Poppins....
Old Mar 16th 2005, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

...but there's nothing peculiarly "British" in the desire to do one's best raising your own or other peoples' children. We don't have a nation of well-adjusted youths, anymore than the US or Canada does.

I still maintain these British women are only appearing in these programmes because of their Poppinsesque accent, not because they hold a secret key to successful parenting.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Glaswegian

Mrs G
Ok I answered your question that you asked me twice...do you have a reply regarding my answer???
Old Mar 17th 2005, 12:14 am
Glaswegian

Ok I answered your question that you asked me twice...do you have a reply regarding my answer???

Sorry - that was rude of me - but I didnt do it on purpose! I will go back and address it now.

Mrs G

Old Mar 17th 2005, 12:27 am
Glaswegian

First a family would have to attend a workshop (Mommy, Daddy and Me or Mommy & Me depending on the family structure) to gain information.
These are a good idea - is it in place in Canada already (didnt have my kids here so I have no idea what services are available).

Then I think depending on ones level of knowledge on the test, if they failed I would develop a social program simular to the US Visiting Nurses program. The person would provide info in the home on day day child care, developmental expectations, parent/child communication, learn how to play etc.
My concern is what happens if they fail to grasp the concepts - do we end up with loads of kids in foster care or a never ending educational program? Plus how high do we set a pass mark? In my view that depends on the subject - if the question is "would you let your 18month old play with a circular saw?" and the answer given is "yes" then in my view that one question wrong shows a major lack of judgement (extreme example I know but you get the point). If it is "at what age do you let a child eat a donut?" then its on a different scale and not so serious.

The Nanny 911 show that was on here the other day showed a parent shouting at a four(?) year old to get him to brush his teeth. Two things were wrong with that in my view - she was shouting and she should have been the one brushing his teeth (not the child who would be barely capable). Although having seen the show they had way more serious problems than cavities!

I think my problem lies in what do we do with the parents once we establish a problem. You can only teach so much.

I develop parenting programs for a living now for a child protection government agency. Except for serious abuse cases I believe it is not that they/we are "bad" parents when we do not parent correctly, we are parents that may lack information.
Well done on a useful job.

I just wonder if information is sufficient for some parents........any ideas on what to do if they just dont 'get it'?

Mrs G

Old Mar 17th 2005, 12:58 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

I think my problem lies in what do we do with the parents once we establish a problem. You can only teach so much.

I just wonder if information is sufficient for some parents........any ideas on what to do if they just dont 'get it'?

Mrs G[/QUOTE]

They get a visit from me...... :scared:
Old Mar 17th 2005, 1:44 am
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

When is this show on?
Old Mar 17th 2005, 2:40 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by dingbat

Mrs G

They get a visit from me...... :scared:
But we were talking about early intervention in the teaching of parents. I thought your job brought you into the game when things had already gone badly wrong.

Mrs G

Old Mar 17th 2005, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

prodigyking will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
...but there's nothing peculiarly "British" in the desire to do one's best raising your own or other peoples' children. We don't have a nation of well-adjusted youths, anymore than the US or Canada does.

I still maintain these British women are only appearing in these programmes because of their Poppinsesque accent, not because they hold a secret key to successful parenting.
Can I get an "Amen"?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.