British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Nanny 911 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/nanny-911-a-290084/)

prodigyking Mar 15th 2005 12:40 am

Nanny 911

I was wondering why all the nannies on American reality TV shows such as Nanny 911 and Supernanny are British. I just find it hilarious that some of these kiddies often have no idea what the British nannies are saying to them with their proper overly emphasized diction.

Has America run out of nannies, or is that British nannies pull in better ratings?

dingbat Mar 15th 2005 2:34 am

Re: Nanny 911

Originally Posted by prodigyking
I was wondering why all the nannies on American reality TV shows such as Nanny 911 and Supernanny are British. I just find it hilarious that some of these kiddies often have no idea what the British nannies are saying to them with their proper overly emphasized diction.

Has America run out of nannies, or is that British nannies pull in better ratings?

Might just be because Brit nannies adhere to the very non-pc idea of boundaries, limits and God forbid - discipline. ;)

hot wasabi peas Mar 15th 2005 6:43 am

Adult child fantasies of Mary Poppins.

prodigyking Mar 15th 2005 6:55 am

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Adult child fantasies of Mary Poppins.

Hmmm.... Mary Poppins. That's an interesting point. I like it.

Biiiiink Mar 15th 2005 8:17 am

Agree completely, many people have made a fortune out of "child care advice" delivered with a British accent (unlike Dick van Dyke who managed that whole movie with *no* British accent whatsoever :D :D :D )

Covenant Mar 15th 2005 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Agree completely, many people have made a fortune out of "child care advice" delivered with a British accent (unlike Dick van Dyke who managed that whole movie with *no* British accent whatsoever :D :D :D )

Bit of a turnaround since the cases a few years ago about British nannies abusing children.

About time.

poeticjustice Mar 15th 2005 11:54 am

I believe it's just a gimmick to pull the ratings! :)

babyblue Mar 15th 2005 12:50 pm

I am a british nanny and i find it quite insulting. Children understand people that are able to come down to their level and be able to adapt to different sittuations.
As for the coment " british nanny abuse" well! i am sorry but that is uncalled for. These things happen in many sittuations and not just British nannies!Often the abuse starts within the home itself and often it takes the intervention of others to recognise that. Abuse comes in many forms including neglect! You cannot tar everyone with the same brush as there will always be sick people out there and the could be stood right next to you!

Clear speach that a child can understand and this is a key point in child care. I also work with special needs and i am fully aware of a childs potential.

British nannies are highly recomended becuase we have such strict rules and checks before we can work with children.
I really struggled to get here to work even though i have over 19 years hands on experience and qualifications. You are ripped to sheds with the High commision and they will not allow anyone to work with children. I am proud of that as the children are our future and they need protection.

We are doing one of the best jobs in the world. Looking after the future and maitaining a workforce whilst parents are being able to go back to work.
I am not a babysitter nor a child's nanny but i am a nurse, teacher, psychologist,taxi driver and social worker all in one! Pretty good job i would say! Not appreciated enough!

poeticjustice Mar 15th 2005 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by babyblue
I am a british nanny and i find it quite insulting. Children understand people that are able to come down to their level and be able to adapt to different sittuations.
As for the coment " british nanny abuse" well! i am sorry but that is uncalled for. These things happen in many sittuations and not just British nannies!Often the abuse starts within the home itself and often it takes the intervention of others to recognise that. Abuse comes in many forms including neglect! You cannot tar everyone with the same brush as there will always be sick people out there and the could be stood right next to you!

Clear speach that a child can understand and this is a key point in child care. I also work with special needs and i am fully aware of a childs potential.

British nannies are highly recomended becuase we have such strict rules and checks before we can work with children.
I really struggled to get here to work even though i have over 19 years hands on experience and qualifications. You are ripped to sheds with the High commision and they will not allow anyone to work with children. I am proud of that as the children are our future and they need protection.

We are doing one of the best jobs in the world. Looking after the future and maitaining a workforce whilst parents are being able to go back to work.
I am not a babysitter nor a child's nanny but i am a nurse, teacher, psychologist,taxi driver and social worker all in one! Pretty good job i would say! Not appreciated enough!

As an ex-preschool educator I fully agree with your opinion and as far as understanding the accent, my children fully understand what is being said on the show. I believe the Television industry uses the accent to grab an audiance which it has. I have spoken to many who watch the show and now feel that as parents they are not alone regarding parenting frustrations. Anyone with a background in Early Childhood Education is looked upon, treated and paid as if we are babysitters that is why I am no longer in the field. Maybe our society here in the US would serve their children much better if madated new parents to learn these skills or they do not recieve a permanent (only temporary) birth certificate...we need to test in order to drive, isn't paren ting far more important?

Covenant Mar 15th 2005 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by babyblue

Yes, yes, but do you look like Mary Poppins.... :)

ksct97 Mar 15th 2005 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Covenant

with the talking umbrella!

poeticjustice Mar 15th 2005 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Covenant

I give up...the lights are on but obviously from these posts no one is home. Over 6,000 posts I think you need to get a life! :cool:

Glaswegian Mar 15th 2005 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by poeticjustice
Maybe our society here in the US would serve their children much better if madated new parents to learn these skills or they do not recieve a permanent (only temporary) birth certificate...we need to test in order to drive, isn't paren ting far more important?

What would you do when the failure rate in your test reached around 50%? This is a problem of modern society where the extended family is no longer close by (yes, I know, from the mouth of an immigrant.....) to be able to help. Grandparents no longer live less than a mile away and are not there to keep an eye on things.

Before anyone asks - we didnt have that benefit in the UK either
:(

Mrs G

babyblue Mar 15th 2005 6:34 pm

I would also like to add that my boss has been honest enough to tell me that she wishes to go out to work and could not be a stay at home mum. many women feel like this and if WE as good educators are the perfect substitute for these children.
i think the Supernanny is a great show as the problem often lays with the parents. Many children are being raised by parents who have no idea on parenting and i beleive there should be more of these parenting classes avaliable to parents of children and expectant mothers. Maybe we would also see a reduction in crime, voilence and more problematic children in the future.

So what is wrong with good possitve reinforcment TV shows? better than some of the violence we are seeing.
we need more of them and if you speak to most people that watch this they will tell you that they all learn new techniques.
thank god for the super nanny! thats what i say....
she has already rescued several families from distruction. I even thought of it myself as many nannies will tell you. It is the parents that the have the problems relating with. not the child.

poeticjustice Mar 15th 2005 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
What would you do when the failure rate in your test reached around 50%? This is a problem of modern society where the extended family is no longer close by (yes, I know, from the mouth of an immigrant.....) to be able to help. Grandparents no longer live less than a mile away and are not there to keep an eye on things.

Before anyone asks - we didnt have that benefit in the UK either
:(

Mrs G

I just believe society does not value children or our seniors because they do not generate votes or tax money.

We learn how to parent the way we were parented. I was an absolute horriable parent until I went to school for child development. Yes life stressors and family support play a large role but information also can "help". I will never be perfect but my kids will be as healthy as they can be and then the rest will be shared at the Thanksgiving dinner table! :)