Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nanaimo - Vancouver Island Uni

Wikiposts

Nanaimo - Vancouver Island Uni

Old Apr 26th 2013, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

gb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to all
Default Nanaimo - Vancouver Island Uni

Has anyone got any opinions on Vancouver Island Uni?

I've seen an MBA I could possibly get on at this place in 2014 which, on the face of it, could be really useful route into Canada.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nanaimo - Vancouver Island Uni

To attend or to work at?
Old Apr 26th 2013, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gb_griffiths
could be really useful route into Canada.
More than that, it would be a great place to settle permanently.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

gb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rwin
To attend or to work at?
To attend with a view to getting a professionally relevant qualification. I'd hope to use the 'off study' time to explore the region and seek opportunities for long-term employment.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 8:07 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen an MBA I could possibly get on at this place in 2014 which, on the face of it, could be really useful route into Canada.
It really depends on your main motivation. If its to get a student visa and piss about for two years it be alright. If it is to study the field of business administration to high level and receive a degree that is well regarded and valued by the wider community you might as well draw your own diploma in crayon and save yourself the money.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oink
It really depends on your main motivation. If its to get a student visa and piss about for two years it be alright. If it is to study the field of business administration to high level and receive a degree that is well regarded and valued by the wider community you might as well draw your own diploma in crayon and save yourself the money.

But would it get you a working visa off the back of the 14-16 months of study?

To put it into context, I'm eligible for CGA accreditation based on my UK professional status. If I used this mechanism to get in would the CGA status and my UK work experience realistically help me get a job? One of the plus points of this MBA is it has an internship programme which may help get some Canadian work experience and business contacts.

It is <snip> ing pricey though.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 8:19 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

BTW where did yo do your undergraduate work and what subject/s did you read/major?

Because if you want a decent program I'd recommend Stanford U., although maybe not quite as prestigious as Harvard, the weather is going to be a lot nicer.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

BTW where did yo do your undergraduate work and what subject/s did you read/major?
Lincoln Uni in the UK. Criminology. I've confirmed (at least by e-mail) that they recognise my qualifications as meeting the GPA requirements.

I'm a qualified accountant which is why I am looking and MBAs and Masters in Finance / Accountancy. From my investigations so far the MBA route is the most viable based on not having an undergraduate degree in Accountancy / Economics.

If I'm going to spend a < snip> load of cash on something like this I'd like a professional return on it (at least to some extent).

It's almost a strategy to achieve one end, while maybe serving another.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Because if you want a decent program I'd recommend Stanford U., although maybe not quite as prestigious as Harvard, the weather is going to be a lot nicer.
Interestingly I looked at that today as my mentor from two jobs ago did the Stanford Executive Program .

No wonder my bonus was so small that year ($65000 USD)?
Old Apr 26th 2013, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

prairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond repute

I'm afraid I can't comment on the uni side of things, but that part of Vancouver Island is absolutely beautiful. I am in the Comox Valley at the moment, and loving it. I guess you need to do a bit of research on the academic side of it all, but this is clearly a very lovely place to live.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 3:44 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Lincoln Uni in the UK. Criminology. I've confirmed (at least by e-mail) that they recognise my qualifications as meeting the GPA requirements.
One of my nieces has a UK degree in criminology (from Sheffield IIRC). She's working as a deckhand on an Australian billionaires yacht.

Very nice too.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

prairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
One of my nieces has a UK degree in criminology (from Sheffield IIRC). She's working as a deckhand on an Australian billionaires yacht.

Very nice too.
Nice. I was talking to a lady up Mount Washington whose daughter-in-law came here for a break from the UK before she started her articles after finishing her law degree. She loved it here, met the son, and never returned to the UK. This was about 15 years ago. She is a waitress and really happy.
Old Apr 27th 2013, 8:58 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by prairiechicken
Nice. I was talking to a lady up Mount Washington whose daughter-in-law came here for a break from the UK before she started her articles after finishing her law degree. She loved it here, met the son, and never returned to the UK. This was about 15 years ago. She is a waitress and really happy.
Here she is. (The yacht, not my niece ).

http://www.superyachttimes.com/edito...rticle/id/4312
Old Apr 27th 2013, 9:48 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Here she is. (The yacht, not my niece ).

http://www.superyachttimes.com/edito...rticle/id/4312
Nice dinghy
Old Apr 28th 2013, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Ernie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant future

If you're planning to do an MBA from a reputable school you'll need to sit the GMAT exam and get a decent score before they'll admit you. I'm guessing that Vancouver Island Uni will be looking for something in between 550 and 600. This could prove more costly/harder than just applying for a TWP.

I've just gone through the process myself and will be attending Telfer in August so I can probably answer a lot of questions if you want to PM me.

Also bear in mind that your classmates might not be too happy with you if your intention is just to coast along with the sole intention of getting PR rather than working hard at your MBA! Now I'm not saying this is you but, a lot of the value in an MBA comes from collaborating with your classmates and learning from their own experiences. If you don't put 100% effort into the MBA and contribute inside and outside of class then you may be quickly ostracized by your classmates which will make it very difficult to pass. For the sake of your classmates I'd recommend you look at something like a post graduate diploma, if you're not really planning on studying hard...

Do you really want to do an MBA or do you just want to move to Canada via a study permit? You'll also have to convince the immigration people that your motives are to study since the visa process requires that you write a study plan justifying your actions.

Last edited by Ernie_wise; Apr 28th 2013 at 9:34 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.