Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

My views about Canada.

My views about Canada.

Old Apr 8th 2005, 12:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My views about Canada.

Originally Posted by yorkiebar99
We are living in Ottawa at the moment so maybe that is why I have that impression. People tend to be extremely conservative here and non-descript. But I must say, even as i have been back in touch with old friends and acquaintances and still get that impression. Its not so much comments made... its the lack of and their extreme uneasiness when you talk about the gay/lesbian scene. It's as if they would prefer not to admit its there and are too timid to say what they really feel.
Ah. I commuted to Ottawa for a year. What a truly awful place. Freezing cold most of the year, swarmed by bugs when the river melts, inhabited almost exclusively by government employees and regulated to the point that a permit is required to change the colour of your garage door. It looks nice enough for two weeks in July but otherwise is a town utterly without merit.
I don't know if there's a gay/lesbian scene there, I find it hard to imagine there's any sort of social scene outside the RA, but I do know some of the bars along Church St in Toronto a bit. It's the neighbourhood where my children went to high school and for a couple of years I was very well informed about the ease of "passing" in each of them. That's gay indifference for you; local bars ranked by ease of getting served under age without regard for the orientation of their customers.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 12:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Yes.

I imagine you and your travel companion interacted with strangers (waiters, etc.) during your travels. In my case those are not the people who have given me a rough time. The ones who have done so have been acquaintances, but not all acquaintances, of course.

As you wish.
My companion in driving to LA was one of my daughters, she was twenty when last we went. She's a vegetarian but not an evangelical one. In the big steak belt I ate big steaks and she ate vegetables. People were very accomodating but, of course, one must ask and it doesn't hurt to have be charming. If one must eat at a chain restaurant Country Kitchen is very good "You eat vegetables ?! We've got vegetables, what do y'all do with them ?" said the waitress. It was as if she'd previous considered vegetables only as some form of garnish, something to decorate the plate and then be binned. If I recall correctly, in two weeks of driving and eating, my daughter was stuck with the salad bar once and we fell back on Indian food once; pretty good, I thought. Oh, and the Blue Blanc Rouge in Vegas apparently served fabulous veggie stuff; I dunno, I had a big steak.

I was working in Vegas, a booth at a trade show, and we dined with a range of clients and business associates. No one said anything offensive about a vegetarian meal being ordered but then the vegetarian didn't comment on their dinners either. It's no-one's business, what other people put on their plates.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 1:12 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's no-one's business, what other people put on their plates.
Quite so.

But there are some Albertans who harangue a person who accompanies them to a Chinese restaurant and orders Item #109, which just happens to be a vegetable dish. When I say "harangue," I mean they tease, cajole, and try to convert the person over a couple of years.

Said person is not an evangelical vegetarian, does not proclaim to all and sundry that she is a vegetarian, does not preach health benefits of being vegetarian, and does not lecture about animal welfare.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 1:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Quite so.

But there are some Albertans who harangue a person who accompanies them to a Chinese restaurant and orders Item #109, which just happens to be a vegetable dish. When I say "harangue," I mean they tease, cajole, and try to convert the person over a couple of years.

Said person is not an evangelical vegetarian, does not proclaim to all and sundry that she is a vegetarian, does not preach health benefits of being vegetarian, and does not lecture about animal welfare.
That sounds horribly interfering but being a busybody isn't particularly Albertan. The queen of authoritarian nose poking, Jack Layton, is from here.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

yorkiebar99 is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=dbd33]Ah. I commuted to Ottawa for a year. What a truly awful place. Freezing cold most of the year, swarmed by bugs when the river melts, inhabited almost exclusively by government employees and regulated to the point that a permit is required to change the colour of your garage door. It looks nice enough for two weeks in July but otherwise is a town utterly without merit.

You have such a way with words. i couldn`t have said it better meself!! we are off and moving to Kingston at the end of the month to see what that is like.....we are hoping that because there are 2 prisons in the are life might be a bit more exciting. Onwards and upwards........

I
Old Apr 8th 2005, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=yorkiebar99]
You have such a way with words. i couldn`t have said it better meself!! we are off and moving to Kingston at the end of the month to see what that is like.....we are hoping that because there are 2 prisons in the are life might be a bit more exciting. Onwards and upwards........

I

Kingston is a nice spot with a better climate than both Ottawa on Montreal because it's further south. There's the prisons, the military and Queens University but the problem is you can't tell who goes where.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 5:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by flashman
Kingston is a nice spot with a better climate than both Ottawa on Montreal because it's further south. There's the prisons, the military and Queens University but the problem is you can't tell who goes where.
There's also some tall ship sailing out of Kingston, I dropped off and picked up various kids there. It's a odd place because there's a magnetic variation and compasses don't work. It's handy for the 1,000 Islands,that could be nice over the summer.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

yorkiebar99 is on a distinguished road

I think when you emigrate you have to move every 2yrs just to keep your friends and family happy in the uK for their holidays....they always want something new to see!! Now when they visit we can dump them on a boat to the 1000islands....
In a year we will probably have to move to Toronto`then....pass over winterpeg...maybe by the time we reach vancouver we will be off to Australia...and start all over again....

There's also some tall ship sailing out of Kingston, I dropped off and picked up various kids there. It's a odd place because there's a magnetic variation and compasses don't work. It's handy for the 1,000 Islands,that could be nice over the summer.