my view

Old Nov 21st 2004, 3:18 pm
I am the other man....

port7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default my view

My brother moved to Edmonton from Morecambe here in the UK a few years ago. He seems to have settled and is enjoying it, he moans about the climate now and then, but I think his view is it was better than the NW of England so he is happy.

We have been over to see him and are due again next May. I am not that taken with Edmonton, it doesn't seem very 'interesting', not much colour. I wouldn't mind if you could see the mountains but you can't. The river valley is very pretty though, but I don't think I could take the climate.

We have relatives nr London, Ontario and have been there a few times too and much prefer that area. When we move to Canada, I think Ontario would be our first choice. Though I am going to make some work / accomodation enquiries in Edmonton when we are over next.
Old Nov 21st 2004, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: my view

I personally think you can be happy anywhere, so long as you have a decent income and therefore a reliable job. I think Edmonton is nice myself. I have only visited there though. I have always said that it doesn't matter really where you move to in Canada so long as you "make yourself" stay for at least a year or two even if you hate it at first - AND also so long as you can find work where you are. People are what make the experience a good one and people are the same - a mix of bad and good - whereever.

Just my two cents worth.
Old Nov 21st 2004, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation
Default Re: my view

Originally Posted by port7
My brother moved to Edmonton from Morecambe here in the UK a few years ago. He seems to have settled and is enjoying it, he moans about the climate now and then, but I think his view is it was better than the NW of England so he is happy.

We have been over to see him and are due again next May. I am not that taken with Edmonton, it doesn't seem very 'interesting', not much colour. I wouldn't mind if you could see the mountains but you can't. The river valley is very pretty though, but I don't think I could take the climate.

We have relatives nr London, Ontario and have been there a few times too and much prefer that area. When we move to Canada, I think Ontario would be our first choice. Though I am going to make some work / accomodation enquiries in Edmonton when we are over next.
Both my husband and I grew up in the KW area - very close to London, Ontario. It's really a great area to live. You have such close proximity to T oronto, Hamilton, KW area, Windsor and the States. There is so much to do and see, and you're not far from the Stratford Festival in Stratford, Ontario.

As well, there are some beautiful cottage areas around there, and last but not least the University of Waterloo and Wilfred Laurier University in the KW area. Oh, almost forgot the Farmer's Market and real pure maple syrup...heaven on earth with pancakes. You can actually watch them plug the trees and watch the sap run from the trees.
Old Nov 21st 2004, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

karenr is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: my view

Hi , We were in London Ontario this July and are planning on moving there . We liked the feel of it very much and great proximity to the lakes .
It certainly seemed to be an area that really would fulfill all our needs .
But I must add I have never been to Edmunton so I can't compare .
Also as for everyone it totally depends on what you are looking for , my feelings were it feels in the country but close enough to both the lakes and Toronto . Good luck with your decision
Karen