Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is my UK driving license still valid in UK if I don`t live there?

Is my UK driving license still valid in UK if I don`t live there?

Old Apr 15th 2011, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

laser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Is my UK driving license still valid in UK if I don`t live there?

So if it were six months in each country then I imagine that goes hand in hand with the licence?
Old Apr 15th 2011, 9:21 pm
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of
Talking Re: Is my UK driving license still valid in UK if I don`t live there?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Depends where you are actually a resident of. If the UK, then yes. If Canada, then no.
so lets get this straight ....... What was the question again
Old Apr 15th 2011, 9:30 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laser558
So if it were six months in each country then I imagine that goes hand in hand with the licence?
Where do you pay taxes? That's where you're legally resident, and where your licence is current/valid.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 9:52 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by el_richo
It did didn't it? The link i gave says you can't use a non UK address
It does indeed. Missed it.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Monique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by R I C H
Where do you pay taxes? That's where you're legally resident, and where your licence is current/valid.
just to be awkward, this isn't necessarily true....my husband works in the US....pays US taxes, and hardly any Cdn taxes, we are not allowed to live in the US, not that I would want too.....but it gets my goat that I do not pay the majority of my taxes to the country I live in!!!
Old Apr 15th 2011, 10:59 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Monique_in_Canada
just to be awkward, this isn't necessarily true....my husband works in the US....pays US taxes, and hardly any Cdn taxes, we are not allowed to live in the US, not that I would want too.....but it gets my goat that I do not pay the majority of my taxes to the country I live in!!!
But you do have to pay some Canadian taxes which implies there must be some sort of residency there too. In such cases one would have to refer to taxation treaties. Although surely that is to do with your husband's residency, not yours.

What I simply don't understand having read this thread is why having a driver's licence from outside your home jurisdiction is meaningful or useful? After all car hire companies are quite familiar with Johnny Foreigner coming from abroad on holiday and renting a vehicle. And if you return to the previous jurisdiction you can very easily return to the previous licence. Just makes sense to try and stick as close to the law as possible with such things.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Monique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BTJ
But you do have to pay some Canadian taxes which implies there must be some sort of residency there too. In such cases one would have to refer to taxation treaties. Although surely that is to do with your husband's residency, not yours.
we do pay some Cdn taxes yes, we paid $750 this year, but over $20,000 went to the US government....I understand taxes are taxes, and they have to be paid, I just wish the majority went to the country that I live in and not to a country that I am not allowed to live in, or able to use the facility's....but I digress now!!!
Old Apr 16th 2011, 1:17 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

What if I'm still a member of the RAC and have a badge on my (Canadian) car? Can I use my UK license in the States?
Old Apr 16th 2011, 1:47 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Only if it has a block heater
Old Apr 16th 2011, 2:08 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
What if I'm still a member of the RAC and have a badge on my (Canadian) car? Can I use my UK license in the States?
Badges? Badges? We don' need no stink.......

You can use your UK license while non-resident in Swaziland, I hear.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

dave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond repute

My U.K. driving licence was issued in 1969-a bulky sheet of paper in a plastic folder. I was stopped by the police on the M.4. last January-I showed him my U.K. licence-the cop did not bat an eyelid and sent me on my way.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 11:07 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Only if it has a block heater
My Jeep has a block heater but I've never plugged it in. Does this count?
Old Apr 17th 2011, 12:39 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

This thread gets the award for the "longest thread which should have lasted only 2 posts".
Old Apr 17th 2011, 2:05 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave2003
My U.K. driving licence was issued in 1969-a bulky sheet of paper in a plastic folder. I was stopped by the police on the M.4. last January-I showed him my U.K. licence-the cop did not bat an eyelid and sent me on my way.
Did he stop you because your RAC badge was out of date?
Old Apr 17th 2011, 2:07 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Tangram
This thread gets the award for the "longest thread which should have lasted only 2 posts".
As many as two, you think?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.