Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is my UK driving license still valid in UK if I don`t live there?

Is my UK driving license still valid in UK if I don`t live there?

Old Apr 15th 2011, 7:21 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is my UK driving license still valid in UK if I don`t live there?

Originally Posted by Monique_in_Canada
k this is getting more interesting, I am in Ont and I have both, I didn't need to surrender mine, so wonder if mine would still be valid then if I gave them my Ont address!!!

I am also wondering wot happens to people who move to another country and don't want to drive for what ever reason, and then go back to the UK and want to drive, would their license not be valid then, seems silly if they worked to hard to obtain a UK license and they are back in their country but they can't drive....
Monique you are completely and utterly 100% missing the point here, so i will attemp to explain it very carefully

you passs you test in the UK , you get a UK license

you have a UK address , therefore you licence is valid

you move to canada , you are not resident in the UK ,

you do not have a uk address , your licence is not valid .

you may be able to swap it for a canadian one .

either way your UK one is not valid

if you then move back to the UK

you are a UK resident

you have a UK address ( you need to inform the DVLA of your new address)

your UK license is VALID.

Maybe a diagram would help .....?
Old Apr 15th 2011, 7:32 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

k this is getting more interesting, I am in Ont and I have both, I didn't need to surrender mine, so wonder if mine would still be valid then if I gave them my Ont address!!!

I am also wondering wot happens to people who move to another country and don't want to drive for what ever reason, and then go back to the UK and want to drive, would their license not be valid then, seems silly if they worked to hard to obtain a UK license and they are back in their country but they can't drive....
Presumably you moved here before the license swap thing was in place?

Your UK license details are still on file so when you go back you swap the Ontario license for a UK one.

Simple innit?
Old Apr 15th 2011, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Monique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Monique you are completely and utterly 100% missing the point here, so i will attemp to explain it very carefully

you are a UK resident

there is no need to be so patronizing about it, almost crossing the line to bitchiness...there is no need....the only reason I continued is because of wot fledermaus said......and I quote "I don't think it's a problem to DVLA if you give a Canadian address and keep the UK license going. The issues are 1) giving a false address and 2) is it legal to keep a UK and Alberta license at the same time. Some countries don't allow this."

I say again there is no need for patronizing posts when this is quote an interesting an healthy discussion apart from the posters who feel the need to patronize
Old Apr 15th 2011, 7:44 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

It isn't a debate , healthy or otherwise.

Thers nothing to debate. The legal position was stated in post 24.

Ever since then its just been a list of certain people failing to understand ( despite numerous iterations of the same information being posted), either out of deliberate bloodymindedness ( something I can relate to and applaud on occasion ) or a failure to follow a cogent argument.

I attempted to simplfying it as much as is physically possible, patronising or otherwise, if it has finally made the point clear then I'm glad
Old Apr 15th 2011, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Monique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to behold

It isn't a debate , healthy or otherwise.

Thers nothing to debate. The legal position was stated in post 24.

Ever since then its just been a list of certain people failing to understand ( despite numerous iterations of the same information being posted), either out of deliberate bloodymindedness ( something I can relate to and applaud on occasion ) or a failure to follow a cogent argument.

I attempted to simplfying it as much as is physically possible, patronising or otherwise, if it has finally made the point clear then I'm glad

yes yes, u can write it 100 diff ways, its nothing to do with bloody mindedness or anything else, surprisingly I understood the first time, but....fledermaus said......and I quote "I don't think it's a problem to DVLA if you give a Canadian address and keep the UK license going. The issues are 1) giving a false address and 2) is it legal to keep a UK and Alberta license at the same time. Some countries don't allow this."

which made me wonder out of "curiosity" if there was a way my UK license can remain valid while I am not a RESIDENT of the UK.........so u and anyone else can carry on quoting the DVLA's rules for UK driving Licenses that only residents can "obtain" a driving license, I 1,000,000% understand that, I also 1,000,000% understand that if u give them a "false" address then that is illegal and can get fined, tawn yawn!!!....... that does not need to be re-posted and re-posted......
Old Apr 15th 2011, 8:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

you are a UK resident

Your UK DL is only valid whilst you are a UK resident. While you're not resident it's not valid and therefore you can't legally use it. If you become a UK resident at a later date...providing you are residing at the same address and your DL hasn't expired...it become valid. At this point most people who be living at a different address so the would be required by law to get a new DL showing their new address. If you have previously informed the DVLA that you've moved out of the UK you should inform them that you are now a resident.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 8:20 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022088

"Keeping your details correct
Telling DVLA your details have changed will ensure your record is up to date and all future driving licence reminders are sent to your correct address.

Remember, if you permanently move to another country, you can’t register your new address on your British driving licence. You’ll need to contact the driving licence authority in your country of residence.
"
yes yes, u can write it 100 diff ways, its nothing to do with bloody mindedness or anything else, surprisingly I understood the first time, but....fledermaus said......and I quote "I don't think it's a problem to DVLA if you give a Canadian address and keep the UK license going. The issues are 1) giving a false address and 2) is it legal to keep a UK and Alberta license at the same time. Some countries don't allow this."

which made me wonder out of "curiosity" if there was a way my UK license can remain valid while I am not a RESIDENT of the UK.........so u and anyone else can carry on quoting the DVLA's rules for UK driving Licenses that only residents can "obtain" a driving license, I 1,000,000% understand that, I also 1,000,000% understand that if u give them a "false" address then that is illegal and can get fined, tawn yawn!!!....... that does not need to be re-posted and re-posted......
I've quoted my post above. Hopefully that will help you
Old Apr 15th 2011, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by el_richo
I've quoted my post above. Hopefully that will help you

and I thank u for that, I read and understood that the first time too.....untill fledermaus said......and I quote "I don't think it's a problem to DVLA if you give a Canadian address and keep the UK license going. The issues are 1) giving a false address and 2) is it legal to keep a UK and Alberta license at the same time. Some countries don't allow this."
Old Apr 15th 2011, 8:28 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

and I thank u for that, I read and understood that the first time too.....untill fledermaus said......and I quote "I don't think it's a problem to DVLA if you give a Canadian address and keep the UK license going. The issues are 1) giving a false address and 2) is it legal to keep a UK and Alberta license at the same time. Some countries don't allow this."
I don't think my post contradicted what others have said.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fledermaus

I totally agree with u!!
Old Apr 15th 2011, 8:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Neither do I.

Now I'm sure I saw a dead horse laying around somewhere that needed flogging.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 8:49 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but the UK Government state that you cannot use a non UK address, so whether a person on a public forum says otherwise or not, the government has the defining word.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 8:51 pm
Beep

It did didn't it? The link i gave says you can't use a non UK address
Old Apr 15th 2011, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

laser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud of

So what if you retain your address in the UK as well as an address in Canada. Is the UK licence still valid?
Old Apr 15th 2011, 9:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laser558
So what if you retain your address in the UK as well as an address in Canada. Is the UK licence still valid?
Depends where you are actually a resident of. If the UK, then yes. If Canada, then no.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.