Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is my UK driving license still valid in UK if I don`t live there?

Is my UK driving license still valid in UK if I don`t live there?

Old Apr 15th 2011, 5:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is my UK driving license still valid in UK if I don`t live there?

Originally Posted by Monique_in_Canada
I think we all (well I do) understand that you are saying that a UK driving license is not valid, but I fail to see actual evidence of this.....wot u posted earlier is not evidence, that does NOT say that a UK license is not valid if you are not resident of the UK!!
It's is illegal to have the incorrect address on your DL...meaning the address where you are resident...not staying for a few weeks...not your Auntie Flo's address...but your address.

The fine is quite steep for not complying with the rules...probably not as bad as a charge of driving without insurance.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 5:17 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Monique_in_Canada
not if its your parents address and its where u stay when u go back for visits, as I say I am not being awkward or trying to push peoples buttons, would just like proof, I always use my CDN license anyway, but carry my English one with me!!
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022088

"Keeping your details correct
Telling DVLA your details have changed will ensure your record is up to date and all future driving licence reminders are sent to your correct address.

Remember, if you permanently move to another country, you can’t register your new address on your British driving licence. You’ll need to contact the driving licence authority in your country of residence.
"
Old Apr 15th 2011, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice

When you surrender your UK licence, everything is kept on record, and you can just get a replacement copy when, or if you return to the UK.

I surrendered my UK licence when I lived in the Channel Isles, which was exchanged for a Jersey one. I used the Jersey one when we lived in Holland. When moving to Canada, the Jersey licence wasn't recognized, which meant I would have to resit a driving test, so I got my mother to send me a licence application form from the post office in the UK, send it to me in Holland. I gave the address of the licence as my mothers address, told them I was currently working in Holland, and the new licence was sent to my address in Holland.

Then, when I moved to Canada, I exchanged my UK licence for an Alberta one, no test required, and I still have a valid Jersey licence.

It just helped smooth things over when getting a Canadian licence, and I can re-apply for my UK licence any time. There is even a box on the application that asks if the licence is to be sent to an address outside the UK.

There are advantages to having two licences. On a trip to the UK from Holland, I got a speed camera fine sent to my mothers address ( the last one on my UK licence) which had a fine and 3 points.
I contacted them, explained I had been visiting, and was working in Holland on a Jersey licence. I explained I had surrendered my UK licence for a Jersey one, the clerk at the traffic court said there is no treaty with the Channel Isles, and the UK traffic laws are not enforceable on non EU licences, the fine and the points were just written off.

hope some of this info helps.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 6:33 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

it seems that no one is driving on their UK licence in the UK but using thier CDN one instead like me..so dont know why people are banging on about fines etc??
Old Apr 15th 2011, 6:36 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
it seems that no one is driving on their UK licence in the UK but using thier CDN one instead like me..so dont know why people are banging on about fines etc??
So why bother with the effort and expense of maintaining the UK licence
Old Apr 15th 2011, 6:39 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
So why bother with the effort and expense of maintaining the UK licence
cus im an arse and i like being akward..and cus i want too
Old Apr 15th 2011, 6:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I think we've already worked that one out.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 6:44 pm
Beep

But surely it's only awkward for you

The DVLA get their money for their effort whereas you have to pay for your own awkwardness in time and money.

Weird
Old Apr 15th 2011, 6:50 pm
Every day's a school day

I just dont like ppl telling me i cant do something...when it can be done..wasnt akward five mins on the phone and it was done
Old Apr 15th 2011, 6:51 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think it's a problem to DVLA if you give a Canadian address and keep the UK license going. The issues are 1) giving a false address and 2) is it legal to keep a UK and Alberta license at the same time. Some countries don't allow this.

I suppose if you only want to have the license to be bloody minded and never intend to use it then there's no problem. Seems a lot of effort and $ just to do that.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 6:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I am sooooo tempted to post a famous line from Forest Gump....
Old Apr 15th 2011, 6:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I don't think it's a problem to DVLA if you give a Canadian address and keep the UK license going. The issues are 1) giving a false address and 2) is it legal to keep a UK and Alberta license at the same time. Some countries don't allow this.
Alberta doesn't
Old Apr 15th 2011, 6:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Alberta doesn't
Ontario doesn't...my daughter had to surrender her US DL before she could obtain one from Ontario.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 7:09 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Alberta doesn't
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Ontario doesn't...my daughter had to surrender her US DL before she could obtain one from Ontario.
Well there you go.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Monique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
k this is getting more interesting, I am in Ont and I have both, I didn't need to surrender mine, so wonder if mine would still be valid then if I gave them my Ont address!!!

I am also wondering wot happens to people who move to another country and don't want to drive for what ever reason, and then go back to the UK and want to drive, would their license not be valid then, seems silly if they worked to hard to obtain a UK license and they are back in their country but they can't drive....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.