Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is my UK driving license still valid in UK if I don`t live there?

Is my UK driving license still valid in UK if I don`t live there?

Old Apr 15th 2011, 3:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is my UK driving license still valid in UK if I don`t live there?

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Tell that to DVLA..they have redone my licence for me cost 20 quid all done
You still don't get it do you?

You may have a license and paid the fee but from what you've said it was obtained fraudulantly because you are not a UK resident and therefore it is not valid. You may have a UK address...so do I...but that doesn't make me a UK resident. If you'd given the DVLA your Canadian address it would not have been issued.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 3:51 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You still don't get it do you?

You may have a license and paid the fee but from what you've said it was obtained fraudulantly because you are not a UK resident and therefore it is not valid. You may have a UK address...so do I...but that doesn't make me a UK resident. If you'd given the DVLA your Canadian address it would not have been issued.
ill be driving on my Canadian licence..i just wanted my UK licence back.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 3:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

ill be driving on my Canadian licence..i just wanted my UK licence back.
So you've now got an invalid UK DL...good for you.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 4:07 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Tell that to DVLA..they have redone my licence for me cost 20 quid all done
It's an offence not to tell DVLA your current address. I think the fine is 1000GPB.

Last edited by fledermaus; Apr 15th 2011 at 4:10 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 4:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by fledermaus
It's an offence not to tell DVLA your current address. I think the fine is 1000GPB.
Still they've got £20 out of him for nothing.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Monique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to behold

This is part of the email I received from the DVLA:

Changes to British legislation resulting in the implementation of the Second EC Directive on Driving Licences (91/439/EEC) since 1 January 1997, have required that driving licences are granted only to drivers who are resident in this country.

the wording says to me....that u will be given a license if u are resident in the UK, and will NOT be given one if you are not resident in the UK, it really doesn't say a license that was issued while u were resident in the UK but moved away is none valid!!!

Last edited by Monique_in_Canada; Apr 15th 2011 at 4:33 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 4:38 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Monique_in_Canada
the wording says to me....that u will be given a license if u are resident in the UK, and will NOT be given one if you are not resident in the UK, it really doesn't say a license that was issued while u were resident in the UK but moved away is none valid!!!
Yes but it becomes invalid while you are not resident in the UK.
YOu can only have a valid UK license if you are RESIDENT in the UK. Just because you are in physical possesion of a document , that does not make it a valid document.

In the same way just because the DVLA renewed it , doesn't preclude the fact that they may have either a0 made a mistake or b) been given erroneous information ( of course they will renew it if you lead them to believe you are still resident)
Old Apr 15th 2011, 4:40 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Still they've got £20 out of him for nothing.
not really because i have my UK licence back...that i had to give up (so if i go back to the UK to live in my old house im all set to go)..if they want to fine me or put me in prison they will have to phone up interpol
Old Apr 15th 2011, 4:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
YOu can only have a valid UK license if you are RESIDENT in the UK. Just because you are in physical possesion of a document , that does not make it a valid document.

In the same way just because the DVLA renewed it , doesn't preclude the fact that they may have either a0 made a mistake or b) been given erroneous information ( of course they will renew it if you lead them to believe you are still resident)
Exactly...I really don't see what people don't understand about the fact that your UK DL is not valid unless you are a UK resident.

not really because i have my UK licence back...that i had to give up (so if i go back to the UK to live in my old house im all set to go)..if they want to fine me or put me in prison they will have to phone up interpol
Old Apr 15th 2011, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Monique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
that's not wot the wording says tho, and in the same respect just because u have a document and have left the country it doesn't make the document invalid either, well that isn;t wot the wording says sorry, I am not trying to pick a fight or be clever, I just would like to know wot is right and wot is wrong, I never surrendered my license when I moved here, I took a CDN test as the reciprocal agreement wasn't in place when I came!!!

Last edited by Monique_in_Canada; Apr 15th 2011 at 4:54 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Exactly...I really don't see what people don't understand about the fact that your UK DL is not valid unless you are a UK resident.

I think we all (well I do) understand that you are saying that a UK driving license is not valid, but I fail to see actual evidence of this.....wot u posted earlier is not evidence, that does NOT say that a UK license is not valid if you are not resident of the UK!!
Old Apr 15th 2011, 4:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

that's not wot the wording says tho, and in the same respect just because u have a document and have left the country it doesn't make the document invalid either, well that isn;t wot the wording says sorry, I am not trying to pick a fight or be clever, I just would like to know wot is right and wot is wrong, I never surrendered my license when I moved here, I took a CDN test as the reciprocal agreement wasn't in place when I came!!!
But if the address on the licence is incorrect, then it's invalid isn't it, plus a £1000 fine if you're caught using it? Just can't understand why anybody would risk that.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
But if the address on the licence is incorrect, then it's invalid isn't it, plus a £1000 fine if you're caught using it? Just can't understand why anybody would risk that.
not if its your parents address and its where u stay when u go back for visits, as I say I am not being awkward or trying to push peoples buttons, would just like proof, I always use my CDN license anyway, but carry my English one with me!!
Old Apr 15th 2011, 5:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

not if its your parents address and its where u stay when u go back for visits, as I say I am not being awkward or trying to push peoples buttons, would just like proof, I always use my CDN license anyway, but carry my English one with me!!
So all visitors to the UK are residents are they?
Old Apr 15th 2011, 5:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

not if its your parents address and its where u stay when u go back for visits
But it's not your address - so that's illegal and a fine of £1000 if you get caught!

I could have left the address on my DL as my parents' as well, but as I moved out of home 15 years ago it's hardly right is it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.