Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

My story so far ...

My story so far ...

Old May 31st 2012, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

calgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant future
Default Re: My story so far ...

Sorry for hijacking this thread. Seriously, he is 49 with 15yrs working experience in oil and gas. I think the problem is the pay, they seem to have a problem matching what he currently earns in Europe( Germany). I guess I will start a new thread, maybe we will get some pointers.
Old May 31st 2012, 4:51 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calgarylady
Sorry for hijacking this thread. Seriously, he is 49 with 15yrs working experience in oil and gas. I think the problem is the pay, they seem to have a problem matching what he currently earns in Europe( Germany). I guess I will start a new thread, maybe we will get some pointers.
Well, Alberta pays the highest even if you base out of Calgary and do offshore work and if the pay isn't close to what he's already making, you may be in for a wait. There has to be other factors, other than earnings, that make you want to come to Canada and when you did the pros and cons the other factors must have won out. There's another thread going about lack of holidays in Canada compared to the UK and if 5 weeks holidays at the start is the end all be all, they may as well stay in the UK.

I guess it all comes down to why you want to move to Canada.
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 4:39 am
ZIG
Forum Regular

ZIG is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks a lot everyone .... permanent job and better pay I went for. Starting next Monday
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 3:45 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, Honestly I wonder how people navigate their way on arrival and in days/weeks they get a job.

I say this cos, we landed in 2005 ( OH,3 kids and myself) picked our PR and Sin then went back to Europe cos no job yet for OH. Came back in 2009 for good ( myself and kids) so that we wont lose our PR status but Oh remained at his job ( oil and gas) hoping to get a job before coming over. Its being 3 yrs now and nothing. He is a Geologist with PHD in petroleum Geology
How on earth has he managed to keep his PR?
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 3:48 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ZIG
Thanks a lot everyone .... permanent job and better pay I went for. Starting next Monday
Probably a wise decision. As pointed out permanent public sector positions are currently far from safe, and especially if you are unionized, seniority rules who stays and who goes.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 4:09 pm
ZIG
Forum Regular

Hi, Honestly I wonder how people navigate their way on arrival and in days/weeks they get a job.

I say this cos, we landed in 2005 ( OH,3 kids and myself) picked our PR and Sin then went back to Europe cos no job yet for OH. Came back in 2009 for good ( myself and kids) so that we wont lose our PR status but Oh remained at his job ( oil and gas) hoping to get a job before coming over. Its being 3 yrs now and nothing. He is a Geologist with PHD in petroleum Geology
Hi Calgarylady, at the end of the day I would think that what your priorities are? First job I picked was paying me only 50% of what a qualified accountant normally earn but I went for that. Within a week I have found another one which is paying me almost what I expected before moving here.

I think when you are physically in the job market you have better chances of negotiating a better package. But again its my perception only, other people may have different views. I am only saying with my limited experience of Canadian job market.

I wish you very best of luck ...
Old Jun 4th 2012, 1:33 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by acer rose
How on earth has he managed to keep his PR?
Exactly or theirs for that matter if they were away for 4 years?
Old Jun 4th 2012, 2:31 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Exactly or theirs for that matter if they were away for 4 years?
Perhaps the poster is a Canadian citizen? If you are out of the country accompanying your Canadian spouse the 3 in 5 rule doesn't apply.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

BOBDEL2020 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,
Thanks for sharing your story with the Forum, I am currently in the UK but coming in the next 8 weeks permanently. Landed sometime ago, I am an ACCA too, CGA and UK masters with 7 years accounting and finance experience in the investment and banking industry. May I know if you applied for this jobs from recruitment agencies websites or directly and which websites did you use? If you wouldnt mind to share.

I am coming to Calgary.

Thanks once again
Old Jun 7th 2012, 1:52 am
ZIG
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BOBDEL2020
Hello,
Thanks for sharing your story with the Forum, I am currently in the UK but coming in the next 8 weeks permanently. Landed sometime ago, I am an ACCA too, CGA and UK masters with 7 years accounting and finance experience in the investment and banking industry. May I know if you applied for this jobs from recruitment agencies websites or directly and which websites did you use? If you wouldnt mind to share.

I am coming to Calgary.

Thanks once again
I don't know about Alberta's job market but Saskatchewan's job market is very active at the moment. 80% of the jobs I applied for was answered positively sooner or later. I am still with the public sector but they increased my salary by almost 100% and offered me a two years direct contract instead of through recruitment company. I know they paid a fair amount to recruitment company as well to take me on.

As I said my public sector job was through recruitment consultants but the other offer I had was a direct job application. They are still calling me and increased my salary two times so far to attract me but I am not in a moral position to leave my public sector job now so I am staying with them.

In Calgary, first thing you want to do is to contact Robert Half International Calgary office. They are the specialized recruitment consultant for finance.

I have not converted to CGA yet but you will have the added advantage of CGA. You should be able to find something very quickly and I wish you best of luck. Do let me know if you need any further information.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 4:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Go with the permanent job.

I wish the job market in BC was like that, been trying to find a job since January and have a whopping one call.