Reload this Page >

My story so far ...

My story so far ...

Old May 30th 2012, 12:08 am
ZIG
Forum Regular

ZIG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My story so far ...

I am ACCA qualified accountant (do not have CGA designation yet but have applied for it) Came to Saskatoon on 26th April. Got my SIN number on 27th and started applying for jobs straight away.

First telephonic interview was taken next thursday and position was refused following Monday

Another skype interview was taken on Tuesday followed by two other on the same day by the same company. Position was offered on the phone on thursday and refused on following Monday (they hired someone else). No other activity for whole of next week. Kelly services (recruitment company) called for an interview in Regina on last friday for 6 months temp position. First interview was taken at Kelly's office and second was taken by the client (public sector organization) at 1530. Interview lasted for half an hour and position was offered while I was coming out of their office.

Came back to Saskoon same day and received six other interview calls on Friday for following week interview which I had to refuse because I already committed to join on next Monday. A very agressive Saskatoon based company called at 1500 Friday for interview on Monday which I refused as well but they said they can interview me at 1600 same day. I went for the interview and they said they will tell me coming Monday.

Started my new job on a six months contract yesterday. I have already received so many calls since yesterday for interview which I had to refuse. Company who interviewed me on Friday called back again to say that I have been selected for the job. This particular job is full time permanent job paying 15K dollar more than my temporary public sector position. Spoke to my Manager and she said that they will hire me after completion of my 6 months contact with the same or more salary package. They can not guarantee a position at this time ......

Confused .... what should I do?

Now this is the story of an Accountant who had been applying for jobs in UK since last one year without even a single response ....

I never wanted to leave UK but I had to .... and I am really surprised by the response from Canadian job market ..
Old May 30th 2012, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My story so far ...

Originally Posted by ZIG
I am ACCA qualified accountant (do not have CGA designation yet but have applied for it) Came to Saskatoon on 26th April. Got my SIN number on 27th and started applying for jobs straight away.

First telephonic interview was taken next thursday and position was refused following Monday

Another skype interview was taken on Tuesday followed by two other on the same day by the same company. Position was offered on the phone on thursday and refused on following Monday (they hired someone else). No other activity for whole of next week. Kelly services (recruitment company) called for an interview in Regina on last friday for 6 months temp position. First interview was taken at Kelly's office and second was taken by the client (public sector organization) at 1530. Interview lasted for half an hour and position was offered while I was coming out of their office.

Came back to Saskoon same day and received six other interview calls on Friday for following week interview which I had to refuse because I already committed to join on next Monday. A very agressive Saskatoon based company called at 1500 Friday for interview on Monday which I refused as well but they said they can interview me at 1600 same day. I went for the interview and they said they will tell me coming Monday.

Started my new job on a six months contract yesterday. I have already received so many calls since yesterday for interview which I had to refuse. Company who interviewed me on Friday called back again to say that I have been selected for the job. This particular job is full time permanent job paying 15K dollar more than my temporary public sector position. Spoke to my Manager and she said that they will hire me after completion of my 6 months contact with the same or more salary package. They can not guarantee a position at this time ......

Now this is the story of an Accountant who had been applying for jobs in UK since last one year without even a single response ....

I never wanted to leave UK but I had to .... and I am really surprised by the response from Canadian job market ..
Um seems like a no-brainer to me. Temp position on less money with no guaranteed job at the end vs permanent job with higher salary...

Is there a reason why you wouldn't go for the permanent one?
Old May 30th 2012, 12:41 am
ZIG
Forum Regular

Only thing is that IF I goes permanent here, I will be having all the privilages of public sector job. Same salary after 6 months, every second friday off and four weeks holidays instead of three (normally in private sector) ...

But there is a big IF ...
Old May 30th 2012, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold

If you stick it out and you don't get the position. Judging by the immense number of telephone calls and interviews you are getting...would you really be in a bad situation?
Old May 30th 2012, 12:56 am
ZIG
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tony_Tiger
If you stick it out and you don't get the position. Judging by the immense number of telephone calls and interviews you are getting...would you really be in a bad situation?
I will be .... I dont have lot of finances to support my family if I go unemployed again ...
Old May 30th 2012, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

"Potential" privileges vs security of a job. Again seems like a no-brainer to me....
Old May 30th 2012, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

How sincere are they at guaranteeing the job?
To some its a no brainer but the job you are in at the moment if offered full time matches or betters the other offer.
I know that some companies will entice you with the we will hire you full time but cannot guarantee the job for a variety of reasons some legal and some not.
Id be having another chat with the manager plus maybe mention that you have friends who ride motorcycles or have Italian cousins
Seriously though its a tough choice.
Old May 30th 2012, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ZIG
I will be .... I dont have lot of finances to support my family if I go unemployed again ...
That is a tough choice...
But then again as Geordie Lass posted.. 'potential' and 'security' of a job. They are two separate things. If its a managed risk you can take then it may be worth it.
As the previous post, I'd have a chat with the manager..

Good luck!
Old May 30th 2012, 1:46 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Me personally i would stick with what you got for 6 months...if you get offered a position its all good..if not at least you have money in your pocket plus you will have got some 'Canadian' experience which will make you even more sought after if you come back to the market in 6 months.
Old May 30th 2012, 1:53 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I'd also consider whether the public sector organisation you are working for is Federal or Provincial and how it might be affected by the current round of spending cuts, particularly with respect to Federal jobs. A sometime BE poster that I know here works for DFO on a temp contract - with a real and reasonable expectation of being made permanent until DFO announced x hundred job cuts. She will, unfortunately, be out of a job by the end of the summer.
Old May 30th 2012, 2:26 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I'd also consider whether the public sector organisation you are working for is Federal or Provincial and how it might be affected by the current round of spending cuts, particularly with respect to Federal jobs. A sometime BE poster that I know here works for DFO on a temp contract - with a real and reasonable expectation of being made permanent until DFO announced x hundred job cuts. She will, unfortunately, be out of a job by the end of the summer.
Quite. The Feds are shedding shitloads of positions at the moment. There are some very nervous people on my street.
Old May 30th 2012, 2:33 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ZIG

More money and permanent employment.

Take it and get on with your life.
Old May 31st 2012, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

calgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant future

Hi, Honestly I wonder how people navigate their way on arrival and in days/weeks they get a job.

I say this cos, we landed in 2005 ( OH,3 kids and myself) picked our PR and Sin then went back to Europe cos no job yet for OH. Came back in 2009 for good ( myself and kids) so that we wont lose our PR status but Oh remained at his job ( oil and gas) hoping to get a job before coming over. Its being 3 yrs now and nothing. He is a Geologist with PHD in petroleum Geology
Old May 31st 2012, 4:17 am
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calgarylady
Oh remained at his job ( oil and gas) hoping to get a job before coming over. Its being 3 yrs now and nothing. He is a Geologist with PHD in petroleum Geology
Seriously? A geologist in oil and gas and he can't get a job in Alberta. There has to be more to it.
Old May 31st 2012, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

vash2009 is an unknown quantity at this point

Take the permanent job. There is no guarantee of a position after your six month and then instead of having everyother Friday off you'll have everyday off if unemployed.
Get the experience and move on. I seriously understand your position. What are your chances of being laid off in public sector vs the permanent ob if the economy goes downhill?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.