Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

My shipping experience (FedEx)

My shipping experience (FedEx)

Old Mar 14th 2013, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My shipping experience (FedEx)

Originally Posted by richbogle84
Having just secured my immigrant visa for the states, I'm busy booking flights and looking at the additional baggage charges. Having punched a few numbers into the parcel2go site, it seems we could save a lot of money by sending things over in advance, then just bringing our standard baggage allowance.

Can anyone share other experiences of posting/shipping instead of paying additional baggage fees with the airline.

Additionally, can anyone recommend other shipping websites we should be looking at, or comparing with parcel2go? We're thinking of sending two full suitcases of clothes and personal effects, and potentially a snowboard, from UK to USA

Many Thanks,

Rich.
Try excessbaggage too.
Different airlines have different prices for additional luggage, so you'd need to make the comparison yourself. As far as I remember, Air Transat charges $79 for one additional suitcase and then something crazy like $200 for the second one.
I'm also not sure you can have your stuff arriving before you arrive. Perhaps more experienced people can let you know.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
And very nice underwear it was
Every job has its perks
Old Mar 14th 2013, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at these guys - they might be what you`re after:

http://www.sendmybag.com/baggage-shipping-destinations
Old Mar 14th 2013, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by energysolutions
Have a look at these guys - they might be what you`re after:

http://www.sendmybag.com/baggage-shipping-destinations
It says 'no routes to UK mainland' and 'no routes from UK mainland'
Old Mar 15th 2013, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by foreigngirl
It says 'no routes to UK mainland' and 'no routes from UK mainland'
I`m gonna say its a site glitch - the owner is from Northern Ireland and was on the "Dragons Den" on sunday night, his core business is shipping bags within the UK, it came about after his student girlfriend was getting heavily stung for excess baggage charges whilst commuting home from the UK mainland so he saw an opportunity - its only more recently that they have ventured further afield
Old Mar 15th 2013, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

richbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks All,

I think it will be a case of pricing around with the various options [parcel2go / transglobal / interparcel / sendmybag] and comparing that to the additional baggage charges we would face on the airline we're flying with.

Other that the OP's experience with parcel2go, has anyone actually used the other providers mentioned?

Many Thanks,
Rich.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 1:21 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

There is also the option of sending stuff air cargo

http://www.airtransatcargo.com/en
Old Mar 15th 2013, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

richbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond repute

I also forgot to ask...

Since we will be sending two suitcases [used clothes, shoes, etc] and a used snowboard, how do we avoid being billed by customs for this? Last thing we want, is to ship stuff from UK to USA in a bid to save money, only to face customs/import charges when it gets there

Many Thanks,
Rich.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by richbogle84
I also forgot to ask...

Since we will be sending two suitcases [used clothes, shoes, etc] and a used snowboard, how do we avoid being billed by customs for this? Last thing we want, is to ship stuff from UK to USA in a bid to save money, only to face customs/import charges when it gets there

Many Thanks,
Rich.
I'm not sure about the USA (you should probably ask on the USa forum), but if you're going to Canada and taking 'personal effects' you don't get charged anything (see my original post re emailing copies of our permit). You'll have to indicate this (i.e. that the items are 'personal and household effects') when you list the things in your suitcases.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by siouxie
There is also the option of sending stuff air cargo

http://www.airtransatcargo.com/en
Yes, I think this is a very good options if you have lots and lots to send. I enquired about this and it wasn't worth it for us (I can't remember what they quoted, but it was around £800) and it's not door-to-door.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

This advert came up as I was browsing the forum: http://www.luggageforward.com/index.jsp
Old Mar 15th 2013, 5:01 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I think this is a very good options if you have lots and lots to send. I enquired about this and it wasn't worth it for us (I can't remember what they quoted, but it was around £800) and it's not door-to-door.
That seems a lot, my son's friend shipped 3 large boxes containing tools a year ago and they charged him £240.00

1/2 a cubic metre costs around £190 - they will collect for a fee in the UK but you do have to go and pick it up in Canada.

For reference, this is what they were charging last year:

All charges are based on ‘chargeable weight’. The chargeable weight is the greater of the actual weight and the volume weight. Volume weight is calculated by multiplying the cubic meters by 167. So if you had 0.5 cubic meters the volume weight would be 83.5kgs.

Freight Charges are as follows:

Airfreight: GBP £0.60 per kg / Min £50.00
Handling: GBP £0.20/kg Min £25.00
Security: GBP £0.20/kg Min £25.00
Surcharge: GBP £0.50/kg
Docs: GBP £50.00
Old May 17th 2013, 10:40 am
Just Joined

rpurdie will become famous soon enoughrpurdie will become famous soon enough

I have 5-10 medium boxes that I'd like to ship to Toronto - parcel2go seems like it offers good value but does anyone have a discount code?
Old May 17th 2013, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

acrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sending a computer and a monitor with parcel2go from London-London (UK-ON ), they refuse to insure the monitor but I'm sending it anyway.

Did you send anything fragile? Was there any signs of bad handling?

Oh and where did you get that 10% code?
Old May 17th 2013, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Our luggage wasnt opened. But one of the boxes was. It was then taped up with 'customs' on it. It had my underwear in it.
For some reason, this made me laugh

Great success story, thanks for posting it foreigngirl!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.