Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

My recent job hunt experience...

My recent job hunt experience...

Old Feb 28th 2017, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default My recent job hunt experience...

Hi Folks,

I just wanted to share some positives I've found since arriving in Canada on an Open Work Permit- I know I was concerned for myself a few months back and if anything, I thought sharing may help instil a bit of hope for others in a similar situation- I was genuinely worried for a little while myself- sometimes you read so much about the process & just feel swamped!!
But basically my husband and I arrived here at the beginning of January in Calgary- we arrived on 2 year work permits. My husband's is attached to his job- and the reason we were able to come! But I wasn't sure how things would fair for me just on an open work permit- I'd read employers don't like the temporary thing or simply don't want the process of going through getting Uk references/waiting for someone to get appropriate checks etc, especially as my work at home was within schools working with young people with learning and behavioural difficulties. I obviously just had to quit my job in the UK and hope for the best here.
So- after about a fortnight of being here & getting settled and all the boring stuff sorted and Internet- I started looking for jobs- and I kind of just used Indeed.ca as it seemed to show a good variety of positions in the most user friendly way- in my opinion. I was happy to find that unlike in the UK (for my field anyway)- most places here seem to prefer a resume and covering letter being emailed. (My comfort zone!) I hate filling out prescriptive application forms and fortunately haven't come across any!
I used the wiki on this website relating to how resumes should look etc. (Very helpful so thank you!)
I had been invited for a few interviews, not just for a school but a few different things too, and found the process really chilled!- in fact, much nicer than the interview experience at home- and I felt in all instances I was really able to just tell them what I do and can do & they seemed really interested.
I was also happy to be offered a few jobs- which was a total weight off as I'd read on various websites & heard from other people (including other candidates at interviews) that it's incredibly difficult to get into schools here as an outsider. Though I obviously now don't know how true that is now. :-/ And I was even happier to accept an offer.

I've found the rest of the recruitment process easy enough- I went to the Police Headquarters to apply for a criminal information check and vulnerable person sector check- it was just $30 and all I needed was my passport and immigration papers. They were super helpful and it was really quick. 10 mins in total. Though- I do prefer the UK's way of the employer just doing it for you- the police headquarters here is miiiiles away from my house! Haha
References were just a few phone calls back to the UK for my new employer as well and they didn't seem to mind doing them.
Simple as that really- and a random trip to the bank for a void cheque to give to HR to get paid (what's all that about?!) haha

I realise everyone's situation will be different and you may have experienced something entirely different again- but I just wanted to share my recent situation- it may help someone else out or at least instil a bit of hope for others in a similar situation.

Fingers crossed for others going through the process- it's definitely the least fun thing ever but needs must I guess. :-)
Old Feb 28th 2017, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My recent job hunt experience...

Congratulations.

I arrived in Calgary in the middle of the boom and my experience was similar to yours. It's good to hear that you are looking for work in an occupation that doesn't appear to have been affected by the downturn.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Congratulations.

I arrived in Calgary in the middle of the boom and my experience was similar to yours. It's good to hear that you are looking for work in an occupation that doesn't appear to have been affected by the downturn.
Thank you! Yeah- I guess it's all in the area people are applying. There will always be students with special educational needs.
The process of hiring school staff was explained to me by the Head Teacher & it all sounds incredibly long winded compared to back home- something I'm certainly not used to. Interesting to learn about the different systems though- they seemed just as interested asking me questions about it in the UK as well. Haha

Thanks again. :-)
Old Mar 1st 2017, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Great post, nice to read a positive experience. It does give some hope even though it isn't my sector. Most posts regarding work seem to be quite negative and so regardless of the sector it's nice to read a positive experience for a change
Old Mar 1st 2017, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

GermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzeandmatt
Hi Folks,

I just wanted to share some positives I've found since arriving in Canada on an Open Work Permit- I know I was concerned for myself a few months back and if anything, I thought sharing may help instil a bit of hope for others in a similar situation- I was genuinely worried for a little while myself- sometimes you read so much about the process & just feel swamped!!
But basically my husband and I arrived here at the beginning of January in Calgary- we arrived on 2 year work permits. My husband's is attached to his job- and the reason we were able to come! But I wasn't sure how things would fair for me just on an open work permit- I'd read employers don't like the temporary thing or simply don't want the process of going through getting Uk references/waiting for someone to get appropriate checks etc, especially as my work at home was within schools working with young people with learning and behavioural difficulties. I obviously just had to quit my job in the UK and hope for the best here.
So- after about a fortnight of being here & getting settled and all the boring stuff sorted and Internet- I started looking for jobs- and I kind of just used Indeed.ca as it seemed to show a good variety of positions in the most user friendly way- in my opinion. I was happy to find that unlike in the UK (for my field anyway)- most places here seem to prefer a resume and covering letter being emailed. (My comfort zone!) I hate filling out prescriptive application forms and fortunately haven't come across any!
I used the wiki on this website relating to how resumes should look etc. (Very helpful so thank you!)
I had been invited for a few interviews, not just for a school but a few different things too, and found the process really chilled!- in fact, much nicer than the interview experience at home- and I felt in all instances I was really able to just tell them what I do and can do & they seemed really interested.
I was also happy to be offered a few jobs- which was a total weight off as I'd read on various websites & heard from other people (including other candidates at interviews) that it's incredibly difficult to get into schools here as an outsider. Though I obviously now don't know how true that is now. :-/ And I was even happier to accept an offer.

I've found the rest of the recruitment process easy enough- I went to the Police Headquarters to apply for a criminal information check and vulnerable person sector check- it was just $30 and all I needed was my passport and immigration papers. They were super helpful and it was really quick. 10 mins in total. Though- I do prefer the UK's way of the employer just doing it for you- the police headquarters here is miiiiles away from my house! Haha
References were just a few phone calls back to the UK for my new employer as well and they didn't seem to mind doing them.
Simple as that really- and a random trip to the bank for a void cheque to give to HR to get paid (what's all that about?!) haha

I realise everyone's situation will be different and you may have experienced something entirely different again- but I just wanted to share my recent situation- it may help someone else out or at least instil a bit of hope for others in a similar situation.

Fingers crossed for others going through the process- it's definitely the least fun thing ever but needs must I guess. :-)
Great to hear that you have landed on your feet. Congratulations and good luck with your new job! Keep us informed as you continue to settle in.
Old Mar 1st 2017, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
Great post, nice to read a positive experience. It does give some hope even though it isn't my sector. Most posts regarding work seem to be quite negative and so regardless of the sector it's nice to read a positive experience for a change
Thanks. To be honest that's why I wanted to share. Over the last 6 months or so, leading up to our move & getting settled here, I hadn't really come across anything positive in the job hunt area- and it did worry me! Even reading a few recent and positive stories I think would have helped ease that a little bit! Haha :-)
Old Mar 1st 2017, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GermanytoCanada
Great to hear that you have landed on your feet. Congratulations and good luck with your new job! Keep us informed as you continue to settle in.
Thank you!! I guess real life had to kick in again at some point. Haha
Old Mar 1st 2017, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Ebonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond repute

Simple as that really- and a random trip to the bank for a void cheque to give to HR to get paid (what's all that about?!)
Great to hear that you've landed on your feet - I'm sure finding employment was no small concern of yours when you made the leap.

The void cheque is simply to allow your employer to directly deposit your pay into your account - you will still get a slip every period (and some employers even have the option of electronic slips), but the money's deposited automatically, so you don't have to go to the bank to cash the paycheque.
Old Mar 1st 2017, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ebonhawke
Great to hear that you've landed on your feet - I'm sure finding employment was no small concern of yours when you made the leap.

The void cheque is simply to allow your employer to directly deposit your pay into your account - you will still get a slip every period (and some employers even have the option of electronic slips), but the money's deposited automatically, so you don't have to go to the bank to cash the paycheque.
Thank you! :-)
And I just find it weird that I can't just write down my account number and sort code or whatever like I would in the UK without a random trip to the bank. Haha I don't think I ever went to the bank at home- it seems to be a lot more normal here though. Fortunately there's a bank not a million miles from where I live. Haha
Old Mar 1st 2017, 4:15 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you! :-)
And I just find it weird that I can't just write down my account number and sort code or whatever like I would in the UK without a random trip to the bank. Haha I don't think I ever went to the bank at home- it seems to be a lot more normal here though. Fortunately there's a bank not a million miles from where I live. Haha
Your online banking facility may well have an option to print a void cheque, saving a trip to the bank.
Old Mar 1st 2017, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by R I C H
Your online banking facility may well have an option to print a void cheque, saving a trip to the bank.
Cool thanks I'll take a look. :-)
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 3:52 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Congratulations.

In a downturn most companies use this opportunity to cut all the dead wood..they will still be looking for the right people with right skills set..i arrived first time round in the Recession of 7 years ago and got a job no problems..again coming back this time round i was offered a job whilst i was still in the UK.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 1:03 am
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

You can also just take a cheque out of your chequebook and scratch through it and write "void".

And glad to hear things are falling into place. Welcome to cowtown!
Old Mar 7th 2017, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Photoplex
You can also just take a cheque out of your chequebook and scratch through it and write "void".

And glad to hear things are falling into place. Welcome to cowtown!
Thanks but we weren't given a cheque book from the bank! Haha oh well.
I've been a bit naughty as well- I was offered a second job and I decided the second job was better for me so I turned down the first one. I felt a bit bad. But I guess sometimes you just have to do these things.
They're both totally unrelated jobs though- so maybe it's not too difficult in the areas I'm looking at the moment.
First day tomorrow! Exciting & thanks!! Enjoying the world of Calgary so far! :-)
Old Mar 7th 2017, 1:12 am
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks but we weren't given a cheque book from the bank! Haha oh well.
I've been a bit naughty as well- I was offered a second job and I decided the second job was better for me so I turned down the first one. I felt a bit bad. But I guess sometimes you just have to do these things.
They're both totally unrelated jobs though- so maybe it's not too difficult in the areas I'm looking at the moment.
First day tomorrow! Exciting & thanks!! Enjoying the world of Calgary so far! :-)
Well, double congrats! Don't feel too bad - it happens all the time.

I think I had to request a chequebook way back when I opened an account in 2008. I have the same chequebook today, and it's still mostly full

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.