Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

My Partner and i both mid/late 20s want to move to Canada....help!

My Partner and i both mid/late 20s want to move to Canada....help!

Old Jul 25th 2011, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

ANDREW83F is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My Partner and i both mid/late 20s want to move to Canada....help!

Originally Posted by iaink
Shit weather for one can be. Not all of the UK has "scottish" drecht. The gulf stream runs past Devon, Palm trees grow in the south coast riviera, and the sun shines most of the summer long in east anglia.

You dony know shit weather till you car is iced over and its minum 25, although thats unlikely to feature in coastal BC weather. There they just get months of overcast rainy weather....
I have said that yes, thats cold and brutal but id swap a horrendus winter(i like the snow) and a nice summer for our weather.
The housing market in Canada can be similar to the UK, only without as much growth. Prices in Vancouver average at $800k. £150k buys you a 3 bed semi in West Kirby, Wirral, decent weather (all the rain falls on Wales), outstanding schools, just up the road from the millionare footballers.
I can believe that yes, but i dont want to live in Vancouver. I said i prefer smaller cities outside......Kamloops, Kelowna etc etc.Loads of options...... The house prices i have seen their are reasonable.

Yob culture is a funny one. People seem afraid of it, but is there any in your area? None in my Dads village, none in Woking. Substitute Gangs in major Canadian cities and you have the same localised trouble spots.
Yes, pubs every weekend, i live in a town of 5000..........fights every wknd. Ive seen them plenty of times. City, again all the time. British drunks have a reputation.......and they live up to it. I no their are fight sand crime everywhere, im not silly, but their r stats that suggest Canada has a lower crime rate but this is one of the small small reasons on why i want to move.

Come for an adventure for sure, its why I came, but come without rose tinted specs and expect it to cost a lot.
Thanks, ye that why. Ye some of the posts making me realise bout the $$$$ it costs but to be honest we knew that. thats why i said it might take up to 5 years to move depending on how much we save.

Thanks
Old Jul 25th 2011, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

neolight90 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by el_richo
Because they were once like you
No one is like me im special

I was going to say, thats another pro comment about canada from someone who hasnt actualy lived here yet.

It was a pro Canada post it was a non negative post lol

Anyhow all im saying is no one said they have rose tinted goggles on or think that Canada is land of the free(thats the US)lol All I am saying is people get bored of there lifes and think I live once, this place is not doing it for me anymore no matter which side of the UK I live on there seems to always be British people lol

So I agree with the above poster with regards that changing your life so much is a good way to reinvent yourself and have an adeventure because as for the UK seen it done it yawnnnnn...

I weighed the pros and cons with my wife on a serious scale and the pros out weighed the cons so why not???

and yes I will be me wherever I am and I like me just not where I am. I am a very strong confident outgoing person who doesnt know the meaning of the word fail.

Only you let you fail

Fine if its $800k for a house ill work hard earn good cash, only I can do that and only I can fail

I am not sure if its the massive amount of cough medicine I have taken or the fact I am in a very good mood

Via le Canada!!
Old Jul 25th 2011, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ANDREW83F
Thanks, ye that why. Ye some of the posts making me realise bout the $$$$ it costs but to be honest we knew that. thats why i said it might take up to 5 years to move depending on how much we save.

Thanks
The country is falling apart on a grand scale flee while you can. Don't let the ones who are sitting in Canada drinking there Coors light complaning about the cold as -25 snow means some kick ass snowmen with your kids huh!?!
Postive spin on all negative things my friend, it can be done with everything except David Cameron he shall continue to wipe his ass with the UK till its dead
Old Jul 25th 2011, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by neolight90
The country is falling apart on a grand scale flee while you can. Don't let the ones who are sitting in Canada drinking there Coors light complaning about the cold as -25 snow means some kick ass snowmen with your kids huh!?!
Postive spin on all negative things my friend, it can be done with everything except David Cameron he shall continue to wipe his ass with the UK till its dead
Well said, i am in the same boat as you and we have similar reasons for wanting to move!
Old Jul 25th 2011, 9:35 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neolight90
Thats the voice of canadian experience again is it?

nothing wrong with a positive attitude. I ski with my kids when its -15, its fun. -25 on the otherhand is asking for lasting damage, Id say stay in with your kids till it warms up a bit Generally when its cold the snow is too powdery to make a decent snowball, nevermind a snowman.

Coors light is for americans

I guess I dont understand why a positive attitude to the negative aspects of life in Canada cant be equally well applied to the negative aspects of life in the UK, thus saving a lot of hassle overall.

The truth is though that once the pandoras box of "wouldnt it be great to live in country X,Y, or Z instead of Z,X,or Y" is opened, no amount of well meaning advice from people who have actually lived there and can compare the two is going to shut it.

Last edited by iaink; Jul 25th 2011 at 9:45 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Ghost-Rider is an unknown quantity at this point

Go for it mate ...

Ignore the Douche bag comments from people on here .. Depends on which part of Canada you decide to move to, Plenty more Pros Vs Cons ..
Old Jul 25th 2011, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

Thats the voice of canadian experience again is it?

nothing wrong with a positive attitude. I ski with my kids when its -15, its fun. -25 on the otherhand is asking for lasting damage, Id say stay in with your kids till it warms up a bit

Coors light is for americans

I guess I dont understand why a positive attitude to the negative aspects of life in Canada cant be equally well applied to the negative aspects of life in the UK, thus saving a lot of hassle overall.

The truth is though that once the pandoras box of "wouldnt it be great to live in country X,Y, or Z instead of Z,X,or Y" is opened, no amount of well meaning advice from people who have actually lived there and can compare the two is going to shut it.
Oh don't get me wrong I take your advice on board and your right though that once you set the itch in motion of wanting to move it doesn't matter what anyone says your gonna do it anyway lol

But I won't know if its gonna work out unless I try and give it my all
Old Jul 25th 2011, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Little D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud of

Shit weather for one can be. Not all of the UK has "scottish" drecht. The gulf stream runs past Devon, Palm trees grow in the south coast riviera, and the sun shines most of the summer long in east anglia.

You dony know shit weather till you car is iced over and its minum 25, although thats unlikely to feature in coastal BC weather. There they just get months of overcast rainy weather....

The housing market in Canada can be similar to the UK, only without as much growth. Prices in Vancouver average at $800k. £150k buys you a 3 bed semi in West Kirby, Wirral, decent weather (all the rain falls on Wales), outstanding schools, just up the road from the millionare footballers.

Yob culture is a funny one. People seem afraid of it, but is there any in your area? None in my Dads village, none in Woking. Substitute Gangs in major Canadian cities and you have the same localised trouble spots.

Come for an adventure for sure, its why I came, but come without rose tinted specs and expect it to cost a lot.
I have been reading this thread with interest, especially the comments on crime etc. I'm a lot more aware of crime since we've lived in Canada (although not as a victim) mainly due to my job. There are yobs, there are gangs, there are white supremasists, there is gun crime. This happens in both the cities and smaller towns.

I think Iaink has it in a nutshell. Canada is not utopia, I love it here, but I didn't have a "push" from the UK. I had a "pull" from Canada.

It's sometimes too easy, with all the excitement of looking at moving to another country, to get carried away and ignore the reality. Positives for me are that I love the country, but it's still all the same sh*t in a different bucket.

People who don't live here seem to be too quick to criticise the comments made by people that do. they put it down to negativity and sour grapes when in fact it is the reality of life over here.

I have never for one second regretted moving here, but I didn't move here to leave anything behind.

Keep open minds, don't expect perfection and you won't be disappointed.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Little D
I have been reading this thread with interest, especially the comments on crime etc. I'm a lot more aware of crime since we've lived in Canada (although not as a victim) mainly due to my job. There are yobs, there are gangs, there are white supremasists, there is gun crime. This happens in both the cities and smaller towns.

I think Iaink has it in a nutshell. Canada is not utopia, I love it here, but I didn't have a "push" from the UK. I had a "pull" from Canada.
I agree with you here, there are alot of reasons that "push" me out of here but i have also listed reasons why Canada "pulls" me. Hence why i have chosen Canada over Europe, Australlia, Usa, New Zealand etc. I have joined forums, got immagrating magazines, Canad books and kmow someone who has benn there a year so there is a "pull" for me personally.

It's sometimes too easy, with all the excitement of looking at moving to another country, to get carried away and ignore the reality. Positives for me are that I love the country, but it's still all the same sh*t in a different bucket.
I know there will be shit in Canada but ihope to fall in love with the country and lifestyle too
People who don't live here seem to be too quick to criticise the comments made by people that do. they put it down to negativity and sour grapes when in fact it is the reality of life over here.
As do people in Canada seem to criticise the uk! the Uk has changed dramatically over the last 10 years and its still on a downwards spiral.
I have never for one second regretted moving here, but I didn't move here to leave anything behind.
Thats what i like to hear, glad things have worked out for u and if we take the plunge i hope to get the same!
Will do, thanks again!!
Old Jul 25th 2011, 11:10 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Little D

Good post. For true about the push vs the pull factor.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Keelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really nice

Visiting is essential I suspect.

Did you noticed that nearly all the positive comments are from people who either are just thinking of moving, or who admit to still being in the honeymoon stage of a recent move
I have been reading this forum for a while now and find its a real shame that some people can be so negative about everything. It is good to hear both sides to everything but sometimes I think it is done quite harshly.

It does seem that when some people lived in the UK they wanted to live in Canada and now they live in Canada they want to be back in the UK....no pleasing some people
Old Aug 27th 2011, 11:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keelif
I have been reading this forum for a while now and find its a real shame that some people can be so negative about everything. It is good to hear both sides to everything but sometimes I think it is done quite harshly.

It does seem that when some people lived in the UK they wanted to live in Canada and now they live in Canada they want to be back in the UK....no pleasing some people
The other side of the fence is always greener.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 11:56 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The other side of the fence is always greener.
I have a great idea.

Turn the fence around.