Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

My meeting with immigration advisor

Wikiposts

My meeting with immigration advisor

Old Mar 27th 2012, 4:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My meeting with emmergration advisor

Originally Posted by siouxie
I realised that almost immediately and I removed that part of my post, sorry!
No probs, didn't realise you'd edited!

Old Mar 27th 2012, 6:46 am
Just Joined

andrewdaddy2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Alternatively, his wife could possibly try for PNP with BC semi-skilled as a kitchen worker (Cooks are classified as skilled).

To the OP - you can do the paperwork yourself and if you have an LMO and a job offer you do not necessarily have to worry about the July deadline - you would come over on a Temporary Work Permit and then apply for PR.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...employment.asp

Funny that i have found out that cos my better half also did 3 years college and has over two years cooking she would be the better principal applicant
Old Mar 27th 2012, 8:57 am
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My meeting with immigration advisor

We actually used a consultant to get our PR's (started in 2007) as I just felt I didn't have the time with work, family and everything and wanted to make sure it was right first time and everything ticked in the correct boxes.

It wasn't that cheap but over half as much as the £5k+ you've been quoted.

I personally felt it was worth the money as everything went through first time BUT can understand others thoughts on doing it yourself.

The system has changed with the quota and the like so I suppose there is more risk involved.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 9:07 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewdaddy2
Funny that i have found out that cos my better half also did 3 years college and has over two years cooking she would be the better principal applicant
Yes, however, I was trying to give your wife an alternative category to apply in as the quota for this year is likely to be full before you are ready to submit. The semi skilled stream does not come within the quota.

Old Mar 27th 2012, 1:05 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I wish we had known about this forum when we started our application. We actually did the whole thing ourselves and as has already been written, as long as you don't have a complicated background and you are methodical, I think it is still possible to do it yourselves. It requires more "bits" now - with the language test etc, but I think we would still apply ourselves rather than spending even more money on an expensive consultant.

God knows, the process is expensive enough! Still, good luck - and whichever route you choose - don't give up!
Old Mar 28th 2012, 4:51 am
Just Joined

Yes, however, I was trying to give your wife an alternative category to apply in as the quota for this year is likely to be full before you are ready to submit. The semi skilled stream does not come within the quota.

The consultant showed us the list and cook was on it
Old Mar 28th 2012, 4:58 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

The consultant showed us the list and cook was on it
Yes, "cook" is on the list and Yes, your wife would qualify for PR under it.

Perhaps I am not making myself very clear and I apologise.

Whilst cook is on the list, the maximum total number of applicants (10,000) for the combined 29 occupations will be filled before you are ready to submit your application for PR.

As you will not be able to submit your application at the moment and there are no guarantee's that "cook" will be on the list of 29 occupations in July, an alternative is that your wife could apply for the semi-skilled stream of which there is no maximum applications for submission.

It was just a suggestion to try and help you apply for PR should 'cook' not be on the list in July... or you don't want to wait.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 5:16 am
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

If you are thinking of going PR on the FSW NOC for cooks, do not pay the advisor anything just yet.

Logic: You know you can't get in through the 10000 for this year as other posters have pointed out. (you could be wasting money on a NOC that may not be possible to apply for) If it is on the list in July, it is not one of those that filled up quickly, therefore you should have plenty of time to decide if you are going to use an IC, and loads of time to get the IELTS, copies of contracts, references, recce to Canada to know it is the country you wish to move permanently to and so on.

HTH fletch.

Last edited by fletcher m; Mar 28th 2012 at 5:18 am.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 5:22 am
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

You could use the money to check out Canada, do your own application, with the help of those kind folk on here, and if all else fails get an IC to check it over, I am sure they would for a much smaller fee.

I hope you see my point, I paid the full wack, though we had to due to our age and that our original NOC codes did fill up quickly. the IC then informed us of the alternative NOC and Bingo!
Old Mar 28th 2012, 5:29 am
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for your advice i think i will go it on my own i have a few months till july to practice...lol.
I have heard that saskawan(i know it prob spelt wrong) seems to be flourishing does anyone know what its like especially around regina?
Old Mar 28th 2012, 5:57 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for your advice i think i will go it on my own i have a few months till july to practice...lol.
That's if cook is still on the list though - don't forget it's expected to change on 1st July, so you'll need to hope that your occupation is still on it. Might be worth booking your IELTS for early July just in case, as there is usually a wait of a couple of months to get a test slot.

Plenty of threads on Regina which a quick search will bring up for you.

Good luck.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

tee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, "cook" is on the list and Yes, your wife would qualify for PR under it.

As you will not be able to submit your application at the moment and there are no guarantee's that "cook" will be on the list of 29 occupations in July, an alternative is that your wife could apply for the semi-skilled stream of which there is no maximum applications for submission.

It was just a suggestion to try and help you apply for PR should 'cook' not be on the list in July... or you don't want to wait.
For the semi skilled pnp stream you need to have worked for your Canadian employer for a min of 9 months full time in BC. I think its 6 months in Alberta I only know as its the route im trying to take to get pr.
On the plus side hopefully cook will still be on the list. In BC at least and Alberta too I think, the tourism board has predicted quite a bit of growth in hosptaility over the next decade and chefs/cooks are at the top of the needed list in this industry. Fingers crossed
Old Mar 29th 2012, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

---mlm--- is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: My meeting with immigration advisor

As a lot of you have said to complete the application yourself, i am still confused as to which forms do i fill in or need to fill in. Excuse me if i sound completely thick but it can be very confusing!! I am a registered nurse, 6 months post reg, will obviously wait till i have a few more months under my belt but wanted to get the process going, could someone please give me advice as to which forms i should be looking at
Old Mar 29th 2012, 10:02 am
Banned

Originally Posted by ---mlm---
As a lot of you have said to complete the application yourself, i am still confused as to which forms do i fill in or need to fill in. Excuse me if i sound completely thick but it can be very confusing!! I am a registered nurse, 6 months post reg, will obviously wait till i have a few more months under my belt but wanted to get the process going, could someone please give me advice as to which forms i should be looking at
Here you go: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ns/skilled.asp

Once you have had a look (and read the instruction guide 3 times, lol) then feel free to start a thread of your own with your questions.

You might find the info here useful too: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...lled/index.asp and http://www.cic.gc.ca/app/ctcvac/english/index

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 29th 2012 at 10:05 am.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 10:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by ---mlm---
You need more than 'a few months' under your belt - you must have at least one year full-time experience to qualify as FSW, so will need to wait until you've worked for another 6 months before you'd be eligible.

Trouble is that by then, if nurses are still on the list of eligible occupations for next year (it's due to change on 1st July), the chances are the quota for RGN's will have been met by then. This year it only took a month or so for the RGN quota to fill up.

So you'll need to keep a very careful eye on 'the list' to see if your occupation is still on it for next year, and then an eye on the figures to see if you can apply once you've done your year's work experience.

Siouxie has very kindly given you the links above for the forms etc you need, but no point filling them in just yet. Fingers crossed for you that you will still be able to apply in 6 months, or alternatively you could look at other visa routes.

Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.