Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

My Landing Experience with Dog at Toronto Pearson

My Landing Experience with Dog at Toronto Pearson

Old Aug 12th 2007, 6:49 pm
frothing loon mk 2

hamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud of
Default Re: My Landing Experience with Dog at Toronto Pearson

Originally Posted by boxerdog03
Right starting to panic now, we will be looking to move in January, will we not be able to take the dogs with us then?
not sure it could all turn out to be bum info thats why i ask
Old Aug 12th 2007, 6:52 pm
frothing loon mk 2

hamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hamshank
not sure it could all turn out to be bum info thats why i ask
i think , just reading this info it only applies to air transat
Old Aug 12th 2007, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

watergirl73 is an unknown quantity at this point

What I suggest is to call Air Transat Cargo direct and ask them like we did. I'm sure you will get a straight answer from them. We have no complaintgs with Air Transat as the dog was perfectly fine upon retrieval besides the fact of the long wait for the dog due to the paperwork and driving all over Toronto to get it done.... if anyone needs the map to the places let me know ill scan it for you ahead of time.... so you aren't shocked with all the driving. People move country all the time and fly pets so I'm sure someone will take them after October but again check into it. The biggest thing I suggest for anyone is to Call call call anyone and everyone you can to get info on moving.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 8:33 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Guelph WG. We've been here exactly one year this Tuesday.

It's a nice town, if a tad quiet. Just don't go to Trappers Alley in downtown for a drink (or slappers alley as the locals call it.).
Old Aug 12th 2007, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

Hey madmac..

I think we chatted before on here..... I've been in Guelph now for 8 years it's my husband who just landed. It's alot to learn all in one go for him but he's trying. So far he likes guelph and we havent been to any bars downtown although I am familiar with them all. Where abouts in Guelph you living? We are Stone Road area. I'm sure the hubby would love to meet up with some expats to chat and network if ur interested... let me know....

Cheers
R&A
Old Aug 12th 2007, 10:25 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by watergirl73
Hey madmac..

I think we chatted before on here..... I've been in Guelph now for 8 years it's my husband who just landed. It's alot to learn all in one go for him but he's trying. So far he likes guelph and we havent been to any bars downtown although I am familiar with them all. Where abouts in Guelph you living? We are Stone Road area. I'm sure the hubby would love to meet up with some expats to chat and network if ur interested... let me know....

Cheers
R&A
Ah, thought I'd chatted to you before but my brain is fried with all the piping that's been going on up at the Scottish festival in Fergus this weekend.

We're over in the East end, just off Grange Road. Always free to talk so just pick a date and time.

Hope your OH settles in well.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 10:49 pm
Just Joined

Stesol is an unknown quantity at this point

Great info about taking dogs,
we have two pugs and were thinking of taking them with us when we go toronto for 6 weeks over xmas. We just bought a house & close the deal end of october when we need to do a short trip to finalise all the paperwork - oh & pay for the house too!

The dogs have had their rabies jabs & are awaiting their blood test & issueing of their pet passports. However, having read the above we will now probably put them in kennels and only take them over when we land proper - which we hope will be early next year . I also had not considered the process for bringing them back from Toronto to the Uk - probaly not at all worth the aggro for just a 6 week trip.

I too didnt know that air tranasat stopped flying out of season - but I think the Uk DEFRA site mentions British airways & Air Canada as being authorised pet carriers as well as Zoom & Air transat

Thanks again for sharing your experience .

Bye the way I have a bit of a blog about our journey to canada if anyone's interested ... needs an update form our last trip in July when we found our new house in York Region, Ontario.

http://www.relocation-canada.com/journey/
Old Aug 12th 2007, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah for sure madmac lets get together soon... ill send you a pm with email addy... and for the other who wanted to bring his dogs over xmas ... wow.. brave .. if I were you put them in the kennel.... I would advise against it... for the cost to bring them here and the stress it puts on the dog for 6 weeks its so not worth it......I'll check out ur blog would love too....
Old Aug 13th 2007, 9:45 am

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by boxerdog03
Right starting to panic now, we will be looking to move in January, will we not be able to take the dogs with us then?
On Air Canadas website they state that dogs cannot fly in the hold on certain aircraft between 1 November and 31 March because of outside air temperatures - so just beware of this with other airlines Boxerdog03.
Of course if they are set up to carry live cargo then the hold will be pressurised and heated accordingly.

I think its a matter of ringing the airline direct to get the best info.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 9:56 am
Just Joined

Stesol is an unknown quantity at this point

We had a family meeting incl the dogs (LOL) and decided to put them in Kennels during our xmas trip - wifey will miss them terribly but the advice here makes sense especially the bit about the stress the dogs would suffer with 2 trips in a short space of time - Thanks for waking us up to that.!
Old Aug 13th 2007, 1:10 pm
frothing loon mk 2

Originally Posted by Stesol
We had a family meeting incl the dogs (LOL) and decided to put them in Kennels during our xmas trip - wifey will miss them terribly but the advice here makes sense especially the bit about the stress the dogs would suffer with 2 trips in a short space of time - Thanks for waking us up to that.!
just called air transat. was informed that after the 30 oct that animals
will not be allowed into canada at all. the price for taking your dog up untill then is $c 250 and a further cost of $c 30 for a health check on arrival.
there is a breeds ban on certain dogs,tosa,mastiff,pit bull,boerbulls,and american staffy's.

check http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/...san/import/dog
http://www.airtransat.ca/en4 2 6asp
Old Aug 13th 2007, 7:09 pm
frothing loon mk 2

Originally Posted by hamshank
just called air transat. was informed that after the 30 oct that animals
will not be allowed into canada at all. the price for taking your dog up untill then is $c 250 and a further cost of $c 30 for a health check on arrival.
there is a breeds ban on certain dogs,tosa,mastiff,pit bull,boerbulls,and american staffy's.

check http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/...san/import/dog
http://www.airtransat.ca/en4 2 6asp
after another call to airtransat it would appear that airtransatwill not as a
company will not carry dogs or catsafter the 30th october
Old Aug 13th 2007, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

As far as we knew they would not accept pets as EXCESS BAGGAGE after Oct 30,2007 but they still will send them cargo. If you want the phone number and detail and pricing send me a Pm and I will send you the contact person we used and you can contact him direct for more information.