Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

My husband been laid off and we have three weeks before our work permits expires

My husband been laid off and we have three weeks before our work permits expires

Old Jul 5th 2009, 1:41 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My husband been laid off and we have three weeks before our work permits expires

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
ahem I posted that thread earlier but n one seemed to notice
Probably because it was a link and we're too lazy to click it
Old Jul 5th 2009, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My husband been laid off and we have three weeks before our work permits expires

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
ahem I posted that thread earlier but n one seemed to notice
I noticed... just had nothing useful to add to the OP so have kept out of the thread.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
On May 16th th OP started another thread and announced her husband had just been layed off and at that time stated they had three months left on his work permit.
Oops, didn't see that one We are a thorugh lot on here
Old Jul 5th 2009, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Why should a private company do that - it isn't a charity.
My issue is with the lies and false promises that are being made to get skilled workers across on TWPs at cheaper than the going rate for Canadians. It's probably a realistic bet that the OP was paid at least 10% less the the Canadians doing the same job. 3 weeks salary would have equated to about 6-7% of the annual salary so I would have expected some kind of human decency given this situation.

But given that the the OP was actually booted 3 months previously I agree that this would have been to much to expect.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 5:31 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Posidrive
My issue is with the lies and false promises that are being made to get skilled workers across on TWPs at cheaper than the going rate for Canadians. It's probably a realistic bet that the OP was paid at least 10% less the the Canadians doing the same job. 3 weeks salary would have equated to about 6-7% of the annual salary so I would have expected some kind of human decency given this situation.

But given that the the OP was actually booted 3 months previously I agree that this would have been to much to expect.
Sorry, but to get an approved LMO the employer must pay the average wage for the job in the area before HRSDC will approve it

"Wages and Working Conditions

HRSDC/SC reviews the wages that you are offering the foreign worker, and compares them to wages paid to Canadians in the same occupation based on labour market information from Statistics Canada, HRSDC/SC, provincial ministries, and other reliable sources. Your job offer will not be confirmed if you are offering wages below rates paid to Canadians in the occupation and region where he/she will be employed.

You are required to offer temporary foreign workers working in a unionized environment the same wage rate as established under the collective bargaining agreement. In addition, benefits provided to Canadian workers or permanent residents must be extended to temporary foreign workers."
Old Jul 5th 2009, 5:47 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree it's harsh on the OP. Even if it was 3mo's ago - losing your job isn't nice, and I can understand the frustration that came out in the post (as misdirected as it was). However if I was running a company (some would say thank god i'm not) and had to lay people off, those on TWP's would be the first to go as there is generally an extra cost associated with employing them - this is especially so if their TWP is about to be renewed.

Not sure about the pay for people on TWP's, however there is a lot of evidence that says immigrants are paid less than Canadians generally (you can find this info on the stats can website). Prejudice and exploitation are for sure in the mix as causes for this, but the main one is usually that people need to go back a few years in their career path.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

I feel sorry for their situation....yes it totally sucks, but she lost any respect from me when she mentioned wanting to commit suicide.....

Great....then where would the family be!!!!

Linda
Old Jul 5th 2009, 10:13 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I think this thread has had it's day.

The OP has not posted for the last few days so any advice and / or criticism is pointless and serves no more purpose.

Best of luck to her.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Sorry, but to get an approved LMO the employer must pay the average wage for the job in the area before HRSDC will approve it

"Wages and Working Conditions

HRSDC/SC reviews the wages that you are offering the foreign worker, and compares them to wages paid to Canadians in the same occupation based on labour market information from Statistics Canada, HRSDC/SC, provincial ministries, and other reliable sources. Your job offer will not be confirmed if you are offering wages below rates paid to Canadians in the occupation and region where he/she will be employed.

You are required to offer temporary foreign workers working in a unionized environment the same wage rate as established under the collective bargaining agreement. In addition, benefits provided to Canadian workers or permanent residents must be extended to temporary foreign workers."
So how do you explain the fact that I was paid 20% less than my Canadian colleagues with the same experience when I first arrived on a TWP. The job title had a wide salary band and I was paid pretty near the bottom because they knew I was keen to get to Canada ASAP. The only up side was that the bottom end of the salary band with this company was well above the industry norms. OK, this was a non unionised environment and I did receive the other benefits, but...... Some Canadian employers are preying on peoples hopes and dreams.

Last edited by Posidrive; Jul 5th 2009 at 10:46 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 11:08 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

So how do you explain the fact that I was paid 20% less than my Canadian colleagues with the same experience when I first arrived on a TWP. The job title had a wide salary band and I was paid pretty near the bottom because they knew I was keen to get to Canada ASAP. The only up side was that the bottom end of the salary band with this company was well above the industry norms. OK, this was a non unionised environment and I did receive the other benefits, but...... Some Canadian employers are preying on peoples hopes and dreams.
But I bet than any new hires in Canada got the same lower end of the salary scale (unless they were better negotiators) and moved up as time went on?
Old Jul 5th 2009, 11:11 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I think that answers how they did it.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 11:58 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

With our organization any new hires will start at the lower end of the salary scale and increase with seniority or promotions to other functions. It has nothing to do with where they come from, purely experience and seniority based. A captains salary has a broad range and no new captain is going to get top dollar.
Some industries, such as mine take advantage of supply and demand, there is no shortage of wanna be pilots and they will work for next to nothing. A flight instructor can earn as little as $18 an hour (after spending up to $100,000 to get their license) and only earn when working, on call. So bad weather or low enrollment = low income. Most do it because they want to get up to the big birds, which will take quite a while.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi
But I bet than any new hires in Canada got the same lower end of the salary scale (unless they were better negotiators) and moved up as time went on?
Not quite the same situation. I had worked with them as a consultant for 15 years so it's not exactly like I was an unknown quantity to them. Their attitude was "You want to come to Canada, Take it or leave it.". I still prey for the day when my current employer buys them and I get the opprotunity to fire all their sorry asses.

Perhaps I have an unreasobably low optinion of Canadian employment practices, but to say the least my experience has not been great. I'm so happy to now be working for a French company, and it takes a lot for a Brit to say that
Old Jul 6th 2009, 1:35 am
Banned

garrett8787 is an unknown quantity at this point

Might as well join the other 1 million immigrants who are staying Illegally and going around looking for work in the meantime
Old Jul 6th 2009, 1:37 am

Not quite the same situation. I had worked with them as a consultant for 15 years so it's not exactly like I was an unknown quantity to them. Their attitude was "You want to come to Canada, Take it or leave it.". I still prey for the day when my current employer buys them and I get the opprotunity to fire all their sorry asses.

Perhaps I have an unreasobably low optinion of Canadian employment practices, but to say the least my experience has not been great. I'm so happy to now be working for a French company, and it takes a lot for a Brit to say that
You seem somewhat bitter

To add some balance, I work for a Canadian employer and my experience is the exact opposite to yours in every way (the transfer to a Canadian office was at my request)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.