Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

My husband been laid off and we have three weeks before our work permits expires

My husband been laid off and we have three weeks before our work permits expires

Old Jul 4th 2009, 4:46 am
Just Joined

salemaince is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My husband been laid off and we have three weeks before our work permits expires

Originally Posted by Alan2005
TWP holders do add a lot of value - but to say that Canada needs them is just wrong. Canada doesn't *need* TWP's - it's individual employers that need them to fill skills shortages in the market. If there is a surplus of Canadians to do the work - then there is no need to give out TWPs (isn't this what LMO was all about?)

As an aside - I think 90 days is actually quite a generous amount of time - it does at least give you a chance to find alternatives. I had 7 days to leave Thailand when my WP expired there.
Sorry to hear about that...I hoped that everything worked out for you in the end
Old Jul 4th 2009, 4:47 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My husband been laid off and we have three weeks before our work permits expires

Originally Posted by salemaince
For your info,I just found and join this forum thinking that it was good to get some good advice not negative ones...even tho you had problems when you came here first but you're obviously still here in Canada...I don't need negative advice thank you!!!
Exactly how is this negative advice? You are the one who made veiled comments about all the immigrants taking jobs in the UK as your reason for leaving the UK, you came here to Canada expecting to be treated differently somehow, just because you are British, and ended up where you are at. All people have done is make valid observations about your self inflicted situation. Sorry again for your predicament, and fyi, I would really rather not be here. Life sucks sometimes.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 4:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Because we have the right to be here PERMANENTLY. I did NOT say PRs were any better or worse than the holders of TWPs. I simply said that if TWP holders left Canada had enough UE that the (possible) vacant posts could (possibly) be filled. It IS you who seems to have a chip on your shoulder, so take this one piece of advice with you.................... GET OVER YOURSELF.

You need to get over yourself!!!!.... we've applied for our work permit to be extended to get our PR so we didn't just come over to Canada to just live here TEMPORARILY!!!

You obviously enjoy being nasty to others unfortunate than you, I can see from the amount of posts you sent on this forum!!!!
Old Jul 4th 2009, 4:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dingbat
Exactly how is this negative advice? You are the one who made veiled comments about all the immigrants taking jobs in the UK as your reason for leaving the UK, you came here to Canada expecting to be treated differently somehow, just because you are British, and ended up where you are at. All people have done is make valid observations about your self inflicted situation. Sorry again for your predicament, and fyi, I would really rather not be here. Life sucks sometimes.
I left the UK to give my kids a better life, my husband and I had jobs before we came to Canada.....and I made that comment because in the UK at least the foreign workers who were there legally got some sort of benefit which we don't here...I'm not asking for anything I just wanted some advice in what to do that was all
Old Jul 4th 2009, 5:05 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

I left the UK to give my kids a better life, my husband and I had jobs before we came to Canada.....and I made that comment because in the UK at least the foreign workers who were there legally got some sort of benefit which we don't here...I'm not asking for anything I just wanted some advice in what to do that was all
This is a very harsh place to be when things go wrong. My only advice would be to list your house for sale now, before you have to leave it. In the meantime, hope that something comes up. This forum is nothing if not brutally honest, and in fairness, it is why I still read and occasionally post after all these years.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 5:24 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
This forum is nothing if not brutally honest, and in fairness, it is why I still read and occasionally post after all these years.
You think so? - as far as internet forums go this one is tame. Most of the flaming that goes on here is like being licked by a big sloppy dog - maybe a st bernard.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 5:26 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

I think its a fairly honest place - sometimes things could be said a little less caustically but its usually all true!!

One thing I am confused about ia why the Op hadnt applied for PR as soon as arrived??
Old Jul 4th 2009, 5:33 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I can sympathize with your plight. Am not sure what you came on here expecting though. You got a variety of views and opinions, some you may like others not. This is what happens when you open up to open discussion.

Although you are already in your predicament, perhaps your situation may be of help to others.

Making a permanent commitment, such as a house purchase while on a temporary permit has its risks. I would not suggest anyone even on PR purchase a house until they are completely sure. Don't take it for granted that a temporary permit is certain to turn into permanent residency. Foreign workers come to Canada all the time, but Canadian tax payers would ask why they should support foreign workers, I believe UK taxpayers already complain about this.

In depth research is paramount, assessing the risks and making decisions accordingly. Lenders are unlikely to advise you on any more than whether you qualify for a loan. So long as the lenders risk is covered, the onus is on the borrower. When is doubt, consult a financial adviser and ask specific questions.

Many on this board have had ups and downs, some pulled though, other quit and went back. Few immigrants have an easy ride of it. Lifestyle is different, is it any better than the UK, probably not. There is good and bad everywhere. The lifestyle suits us well

If you want any suggestions at all I would say, don't complain about the system, it has likely not changed since you got here and complaining is not going to change it, but sure to alienate many Canadians.

Make a plan of what steps you intend to take and do as much research as you can in the time you have. Hold on to your goals and try to make them work, but also make a plan of what you will do if it does not work out. If you own a property, talk to a financial adviser and perhaps a realtor to assess your options.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
One thing I am confused about ia why the Op hadnt applied for PR as soon as arrived??
no your not.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 5:39 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4d32ftw
no your not.
oh good - thought I may have missed something crucial there . .
Old Jul 4th 2009, 5:39 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Agreed.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 6:25 am
half a century

um. .. .

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=609431
Old Jul 4th 2009, 6:45 am
Cynically amused.

Originally Posted by Alan2005
You think so? - as far as internet forums go this one is tame. Most of the flaming that goes on here is like being licked by a big sloppy dog - maybe a st bernard.
I think there is a level of respect on this forum that is unusual to find. I have been justly and unjustly roasted on many occasions, but I do understand (most) of the arguments for and against whatever I was saying. I am far from a proponent of Canada, but I get why people want to come here. I am, I think, terribly old fashioned in that I do not understand why anyone has to be unnecessarily rude to get their point across. By and large, most people seem to follow that very basic position here, which makes for interesting reading, without the cat fights.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

keznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud of

This thread has caused uneccessary aggravation.
From what I could see the initial post was of Salemaince laying out her worries and thoughts with the added hope of someone maybe having an ounce of compassion or no how.
I appreciate others points of views and opinions its probably why I come on here as well as it is to me greatly valued.
However I am somewhat confused as to why there is the element of attack and the I TOLD YOU SO!!! & WHAT DID YOU EXPECT!!! Come on Guys we are better than those primary school comments...
I for one feely quite sympathetic to this unfortunate plight however that does not mean that I dont agree with some of the comments.
It could be noted that maybe a little bit of support and positive comments might eliviate the deep sadness and worry that this person is feeling at this crucial time.
Why not try with suggestions and offer an ounce of support.
There isnt a great deal of us that can do anything for her and Im sure she is fully aware of this but I think we could do a lot better than lay on a plan of attack...

I hope things work out for you and your family and fingers crossed that something comes up for the best...
Old Jul 4th 2009, 8:16 am
Account Closed

mrmani is an unknown quantity at this point

My eldest daughter couldn't even get a job in McDonald's in England all because she was a uni student and they wanted some one fulltime...
Sorry about your situation...but why didn't the Queen help with that and speak to Ronald? She's no help in the UK so what makes you think she would be of any help in canada...I wan't my 69p back

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.