Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

My husband been laid off and we have three weeks before our work permits expires

My husband been laid off and we have three weeks before our work permits expires

Old Jul 4th 2009, 12:09 am
Just Joined

salemaince is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My husband been laid off and we have three weeks before our work permits expires

Originally Posted by R I C H
It's hardly 20/20 hindsight, is it? You know it's a temporary status before you even arrive. How you manage that situation is entirely down to yourself - no job is ever guaranteed, nor is PR, alternative LMO's or any other option.

I think you're overstating the value of TWP holders to the Canadian economy, and the likelihood of your scenario happening is pretty slim, and hardly relevant to the OP's situation.
When did you come to Canada???
Old Jul 4th 2009, 12:32 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My husband been laid off and we have three weeks before our work permits expires

Originally Posted by R I C H
It's hardly 20/20 hindsight, is it? You know it's a temporary status before you even arrive. How you manage that situation is entirely down to yourself - no job is ever guaranteed, nor is PR, alternative LMO's or any other option.

I think you're overstating the value of TWP holders to the Canadian economy, and the likelihood of your scenario happening is pretty slim, and hardly relevant to the OP's situation.
TWP holders do add a lot of value - but to say that Canada needs them is just wrong. Canada doesn't *need* TWP's - it's individual employers that need them to fill skills shortages in the market. If there is a surplus of Canadians to do the work - then there is no need to give out TWPs (isn't this what LMO was all about?)

As an aside - I think 90 days is actually quite a generous amount of time - it does at least give you a chance to find alternatives. I had 7 days to leave Thailand when my WP expired there.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

Settlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really nice

Disclaimer: I went through all that cr@p in the previous recession and I know your pain. We didn't have a house though. Buying a property without PR is not really wise, sorry.

Why would returning be so tough? If any of you gets a job here, that will still be TWP with no certainty. It can be lost a week later in todays' economy. You'll be able to go ahead with Canadian experience class immigration of course, but this won't improve the market that is still falling (unemployment numbers I mean). Years ago that shaky TWP status, in another country, was one of my reasons to apply for Canadian PR.

In my case, we didn't have the whole Europe to return to, as you do. There, in some countries, they don't even fire workers, including those on TWP, because it's cheaper to continue paying salary until the economy picks up. Sure, doesn't make sense for economy but who cares if you keep your job? So, maybe visiting the "Returning" forum will make you think slightly more positive?
Old Jul 4th 2009, 2:38 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
OK so the next thing would be to see if you can stay on as a visitor - possibilty of getting 6 month (please don't quote me I am far from knowledgeable about this)

Implications are schooling as I am not sure if the kids would be allowed to go to school whilst on a visitors visa (I strongly suspect not)

Even if none of you are working at least you are still here and can use this time to frantically look for another job.

This is not meant to be tongue in cheek but I heard somewhere that Tim Hortons is hiring and have LMO's for TWP's. However these are exactly that TWP's and do not come with the option of going for pr.

But say you went this route your hubby could then get an open work permit on the back of yours, then at least it gives breathing space and some form of income whilst he keeps his eye open for a carpenters job which ill allow you to get pr ????????
Low skilled job at Timmies, spouse is not eligible for work permit.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 2:51 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
To be honest, I really dont understand why more isnt being made of this issue.

The fact that Canada has a duty to protect their own interests first is irrelevant. It's wrong, wrong, wrong to allow people to set up home here then ship them back off whenever it fits. TWP or no TWP, it's just wrong.

Canada wouldnt be where it is today without immigration (temporary and permanent) and I just think the whole situation stinks. The government should be doing more to assist those that are stuck in this quandry- for instance, opening up their WP to allow them to find work elsewhere.

It's all well and good people on here saying "you knew the risk" but hindsight is 20/20 and all that. A large % of us are here on TWP's and I would suspect the country would be in somewhat of a whole if everyone on TWP decided to uproot and return home.

To the OP, my only hope is that you're close to gaining PR.
Many many moons ago, the start of my Canadian nightmare (and I was already a PR from years prior) was bringing my entire family over here for a job I had been offered in writing. It was a government job, good pay, I gave up a good promotion and a house in the UK. Husband of the time begged and pleaded for us to "start a new life". I checked in regularly over the preceding three and a half months, got here, called my new employer as they had asked and.....nothing. Called again, no call back, turned up on the doorstep on my start date anyway, which was two days later. I eventually got to see a very embarrassed HR person who advised that I could not work for them as I was not a citizen and my UK credentials were not accepted as a direct equivalency for the job, even though I had trained their people in the UK. The guy who hired me had left that department, they had no obligation toward me or my family....have a nice life. HR had sent a letter the previous week to my old address in the UK, but I was already on my way here. I was shocked, ruined financially, but was a PR, so at least could look for another job. I consulted a lawyer, no recourse. The risks of a TWP in this country are explained over and over on this forum; I am so sorry for the OP, but why do so many people ignore warnings posted on this forum?
Old Jul 4th 2009, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

pinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to behold

I really feel for the OP, it must be a horrible situation to be placed in.

I will be interested to read what their Immigration Lawyer says (if the OP posts it on the forum) and that there is hope for the family.

Best of luck
Old Jul 4th 2009, 4:22 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho

It's all well and good people on here saying "you knew the risk" but hindsight is 20/20 and all that. A large % of us are here on TWP's and I would suspect the country would be in somewhat of a whole if everyone on TWP decided to uproot and return home.
Hardly.

Have you not heard Canada is suffering a recession with rising unemployment?

If all the TWP holders decided to up and leave the pool of workers would be reduced therefore reducing the UE figures. Or are 'Canadians' simply not 'capable' of performing the work done by TWP holders???
Old Jul 4th 2009, 4:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dingbat
Many many moons ago, the start of my Canadian nightmare (and I was already a PR from years prior) was bringing my entire family over here for a job I had been offered in writing. It was a government job, good pay, I gave up a good promotion and a house in the UK. Husband of the time begged and pleaded for us to "start a new life". I checked in regularly over the preceding three and a half months, got here, called my new employer as they had asked and.....nothing. Called again, no call back, turned up on the doorstep on my start date anyway, which was two days later. I eventually got to see a very embarrassed HR person who advised that I could not work for them as I was not a citizen and my UK credentials were not accepted as a direct equivalency for the job, even though I had trained their people in the UK. The guy who hired me had left that department, they had no obligation toward me or my family....have a nice life. HR had sent a letter the previous week to my old address in the UK, but I was already on my way here. I was shocked, ruined financially, but was a PR, so at least could look for another job. I consulted a lawyer, no recourse. The risks of a TWP in this country are explained over and over on this forum; I am so sorry for the OP, but why do so many people ignore warnings posted on this forum?
For your info,I just found and join this forum thinking that it was good to get some good advice not negative ones...even tho you had problems when you came here first but you're obviously still here in Canada...I don't need negative advice thank you!!!
Old Jul 4th 2009, 4:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Hardly.

Have you not heard Canada is suffering a recession with rising unemployment?

If all the TWP holders decided to up and leave the pool of workers would be reduced therefore reducing the UE figures. Or are 'Canadians' simply not 'capable' of performing the work done by TWP holders???
You seems to have a chip on your shoulder...why are TWP any different from the PR's... we all came to Canada for one reason, to live and work here... I felt depressed but now I'm just pissed off with all this negative comments!!!!!
Old Jul 4th 2009, 4:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by salemaince
You seems to have a chip on your shoulder...why are TWP any different from the PR's... we all came to Canada for one reason, to live and work here... I felt depressed but now I'm just pissed off with all this negative comments!!!!!
And anyway the WHOLE WORLD IS SUFFERING THE RECESSION!!!!!
Old Jul 4th 2009, 4:34 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

For your info,I just found and join this forum thinking that it was good to get some good advice not negative ones...even tho you had problems when you came here first but you're obviously still here in Canada...I don't need negative advice thank you!!!
It's the internet - you accept the good with the bad. I actually think most people here are very sympathetic to your plight - but really what advice can be given? Find another job fast; become a student; or go home seem to be your options. It's a really tough situation for you and I wouldn't wish it on anyone - but that's the world we live in right now. Layoffs everywhere - nobody is immune and like everyone, I'm hoping it doesn't happen to me.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 4:38 am

I know quite a few out of work PR's - so they aren't that different (other than the obvious P vs T bit)

Edit to add: I do wish you best of luck sorting this out - honestly.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 4:39 am
Just Joined

I'M GONNA KEEP MY PERSONAL PROBLEMS TO MYSELF INSTEAD OF SHARING WITH AN INSENSITIVE BUNCH OF BRITS....DON'T WORRY I WON'T LET YOU KNOW MY PROBLEMS ANYMORE:angry

And thanks to all who sent supportive comments
Old Jul 4th 2009, 4:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I know quite a few out of work PR's - so they aren't that different (other than the obvious P vs T bit)

Edit to add: I do wish you best of luck sorting this out - honestly.
Thanks
Old Jul 4th 2009, 4:46 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Because we have the right to be here PERMANENTLY. I did NOT say PRs were any better or worse than the holders of TWPs. I simply said that if TWP holders left Canada had enough UE that the (possible) vacant posts could (possibly) be filled. It IS you who seems to have a chip on your shoulder, so take this one piece of advice with you.................... GET OVER YOURSELF.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.