Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

To my fellow Torontarians....is it me or.....

To my fellow Torontarians....is it me or.....

Old Sep 15th 2011, 3:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To my fellow Torontarians....is it me or.....

Originally Posted by iaink
Democracy sux when the other guy gets in.
I have no idea what he looks like, nor do I care. But I believe your statement above summarizes the comments of the posters above perfectly.

I also belief that those such comments as those stated above reflect very poorly upon those that live in Toronto or its surroundings
Old Sep 15th 2011, 3:21 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgagitw
Agreed that increasing housing density will make transport more painful in Toronto but I wouldn't hold up London as an example of how to do it right. Anyone who's ever taken the Northern or Central lines to work in the morning would think that the crush on the Yonge line was a bit of light relief...
I agree that they are over crowded, but with the investment in the tube infrastructure and the new trains they are introducing the capacity of the overall tube network in London will be increased 30%. The crowding on lines such as central and northern will be reduced dramatically.

The fact of the matter is most Londoners ride the tube to work and this is why it is a good example for Toronto. All the people who I work with here in Toronto would not dream of using the subway. There are simply not enough stations or trains. The network needs to be built out effectively.

Last edited by JamesM; Sep 15th 2011 at 3:23 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I have no idea what he looks like, nor do I care. But I believe your statement above summarizes the comments of the posters above perfectly.

I also belief that those such comments as those stated above reflect very poorly upon those that live in Toronto or its surroundings
What comments? I live in Toronto and see it everyday i see your in Calgary. IM not running it down essentially im saying its changed a hell of lot from my perspective in the last 9 years.

But ask most people in Toronto and they will all say the mayor is a fat useless slob!
Old Sep 15th 2011, 4:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britishvixen21
But ask most people in Toronto and they will all say the mayor is a fat useless slob!
He's a fat slob, no doubt about that, and that undermines confidence in his ability to manage and to communicate. I'm unsure to what extent this is a political stance as I don't what most Canadian politicians look like. Mr. Harper, the Prime Minister, is certainly a porker, you wouldn't want to have to pass him on a tram. By contrast, that fellow from the Bloc, Gilles someone, looks as if he has a mirror in his house. I don't know if the Liberals or the NDP have a leader at the moment. From this, admittedly limited, sample, I think we can conclude that oozing corpulence is the Conservative style, one that well befits the champions of unbridled capatialism and that the French are a blessing to Canada in bringing athleticism to Parliament.

Toronto has gone to the dogs since the closing of the Nova Fish Bar. When the cheese man is dead there'll be no reason to go there.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 4:38 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Look around you at the average canadian male

I doubt very much that being a fat slob has a negative impact on your ability to communicate with other fat slobs. Michael Moore is a fat slob, but he's quite good at getting a point over, even if he's not Canadian.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 15th 2011 at 4:48 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 4:45 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's a bit like considering an applicant with piss stained trousers, poor aim in that regard doesn't directly prevent someone from doing sums but I'd rather a tax advisor who was cleaner.
Point taken. I'll change my trousers more often.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 4:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Look around you at the average canadian male
SUVs explained.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

ergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud of

i spend plenty of time in Toronto when i'm not travelling for work, and i don't enjoy it all that much! i'm a country boy though so it might not be any fault of the city itself. however the mayor comes across as a total arse. also a bit disappointed with how they're tearing down the brick buildings and replacing them with condos in the supposed historical quarter of the city (saint lawrence market area)
Old Sep 15th 2011, 7:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by ergyngfeld
i spend plenty of time in Toronto when i'm not travelling for work, and i don't enjoy it all that much! i'm a country boy though so it might not be any fault of the city itself. however the mayor comes across as a total arse. also a bit disappointed with how they're tearing down the brick buildings and replacing them with condos in the supposed historical quarter of the city (saint lawrence market area)
The major new building there, that ghastly thing south of the market, is on an site that's been empty for years. Obviously the building drags down the neighbourhood but no bricks were sacrificed for that one. To the west of the market, where the Fish Market restaurant and Frank Pontieri's garage used to be, yes, that was a nice looking block and it'll be nasty when they're done. Looking at that I'm glad I don't live there anymore, it'll end up being like City Place or St. Jamestown, high density rented units, getting rougher by the year.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britishvixen21
Is the city really getting shit!

When i moved here 9 years ago it was a great city, not to crowded, ok infrastructure, nice people.

I find recently that people are so mean and passive aggressive, the subways system is a joke, we have a mayor that looks like he just won a pie eating contest and the city just seems to be going to the shitter.

Everyone wants to raise prices on everything yet my wages are not going up.

I dont know, maybe its me, but has anyone else noticed this shift in what i thought was a great city? or is it me? is it time for me to go home? LOL
Yes, the mayor's a twat but it's an austerity climate all over the western world and Toronto is getting off pretty lightly in my view. Yesterday's furore about TTC cuts essentilally boils down to whether they should raise the $3.00 fare (which gets you from one end of the city to the next; compare that with London) to $3.10 or $3.15, or make cuts to services. That would be the first hike in 3 years. Umm, no brainer.

Then, the police issue. I see them all the time. Where? Parked outside Tim Horton's, that's where. For god sake's. If they're that bored or there's that little to do than to try and emulate Bob Ford's appearance, we should have fewer of them and save some money.

I didn't vote for the whale and don't support the cuts. At least, though, they seem to be fairly broad-based and not as ideologically one-sided as Cameron's in the UK. I was just there for two weeks. You think London's got it better? Hop over there and experience things for a bit and then let's have a chat.

He's a twat but he won't change that much.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 2:42 am
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
It's just you. Toronto has always been a bit shit.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 10:46 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

I thought Toronto was quite expensive, filthy, unkept and full of people shouting and talking to themselves. But I have to say, I thought the transport network was excellent.

James... im just about to head down to Northcote in 10 mins.

And I had a superb Dhansak last night.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 11:31 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Londonuck
I thought Toronto was quite expensive, filthy, unkept and full of people shouting and talking to themselves. But I have to say, I thought the transport network was excellent.

Compared to London, Toronto does have a huge homeless population, many of them deranged. So too does Vancouver, we might consider this to be a feature of Canada vs. the UK. I don't know that Toronto's dirtier though, I don't see any difference there. Transit is good if you live along one of the three streets with the subway (four if you count the line that goes to Mel Lastman's house but that's way up north and not much help). It's not so good if you have to travel east/west along another street than Bloor as the trams are very weather and traffic prone.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 2:16 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck

That was fast!

I remember meeting Will Greenwood in the Northcote pub with some rugby chums a couple of years ago. Nice guy actually and always enjoyed his wit when he commentated.

I wouldn't half mind a decent fry up from one of those cafe's down there right now.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 2:29 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by dbd33
Compared to London, Toronto does have a huge homeless population, many of them deranged. So too does Vancouver, we might consider this to be a feature of Canada vs. the UK. I don't know that Toronto's dirtier though, I don't see any difference there. Transit is good if you live along one of the three streets with the subway (four if you count the line that goes to Mel Lastman's house but that's way up north and not much help). It's not so good if you have to travel east/west along another street than Bloor as the trams are very weather and traffic prone.
I was surprised at how many homeless people there were when I went over to Victoria on Vancouver Island. It seems that they will happily plant themselves anywhere in Canada not restrict themselves to the large cities.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.