British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   My Dream (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/my-dream-306875/)

great46 Jun 4th 2005 5:30 pm

My Dream

My dream is to live in a friendly neighbourhood in a nice big house, with a nice big car, to be able to afford to go out at weekends, for the children to have lots to do, clubs, sport etc. for them to be happy at school, to be able to afford a dog and be able to take it for a walk without having to pass teenagers spitting and swearing, my 8 year old gets very afraid when he sees a group of yobs even if my husband is with him at the local park...and for the local paper not to be full of stories of people being mugged and held up at knife point.
I know nowhere is perfect and having a job is crucial no matter where you live, but my husband and I are so fed up with where we live we want to find somewhere better, there must be somewhere better. We have about £200,000. My husband is a qualified, hardworking skilled (and very clever) tradesman.
B]COULD MY DREAM COME TRUE IN CANADA????[/B]
:confused: :confused: :confused:

ClosedAccount-xyz Jun 4th 2005 5:44 pm

Re: My Dream

all dreams can come true(eventually) if you want them to... :)
we are in the same boat, husband has good tradesmans job, but we dont have enough points to apply for immigration :( so all we can do is hope that he will eventually get a job offer, then our dream will come true
best of luck to you both , may all your dreams come true! :)
Jeanette

KHutchison Jun 4th 2005 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by great46
My dream is to live in a friendly neighbourhood in a nice big house, with a nice big car, to be able to afford to go out at weekends, for the children to have lots to do, clubs, sport etc. for them to be happy at school, to be able to afford a dog and be able to take it for a walk without having to pass teenagers spitting and swearing, my 8 year old gets very afraid when he sees a group of yobs even if my husband is with him at the local park...and for the local paper not to be full of stories of people being mugged and held up at knife point.
I know nowhere is perfect and having a job is crucial no matter where you live, but my husband and I are so fed up with where we live we want to find somewhere better, there must be somewhere better. We have about £200,000. My husband is a qualified, hardworking skilled (and very clever) tradesman.

Yes, your dream could come true in Canada. My wife is sponsoring me into Canada and I can't wait, both to leave the UK and all the crap you mentioned behind me and to go to somewhere with 4 seasons, friendly people and a low crime rate. I can't speak for the whole of Canada of course, but the areas of Ontario I've been to made feel "at home".
Kev.

dbd33 Jun 4th 2005 8:04 pm

If you would settle for "quite a big house by UK standards", all of that is true of this block. The people from the neighbourhood in the pub are, a cook, a roofer, the singer for a local blues band, a life insurance salesman, an accountant, two carpenters, a retired cop now working for a paralegal firm, basically skilled tradespeople. Most have children and there are endless clubs and activities locally for them. The one thing you may not expect is that these people are from everywhere but here. On the street we have, Americans, British, Jamaicans, Indians, Chinese, Greeks, Koreans, Asians (country unknown), Australians, Iraqis, lrish and Newfires. There are several gay couples and many of the other families are somehow blended. This is not a good block for people who care how other people live. It is, however, a great block when the World Cup is on.

Patsy Jun 5th 2005 3:26 pm

just out of curiosity (spelt wrong i think) where in Uk do u live..or whereabouts?

great46 Jun 5th 2005 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Patsy
just out of curiosity (spelt wrong i think) where in Uk do u live..or whereabouts?

We live near Lakside Shopping Centre in Thurrock, Essex. it's about twenty miles outside of London. We have considered moving elsewhere in England but we feel that no matter where you go here you are never too far away from the yob culture that I don't want to my children to be a part of.

aahtuk Jun 6th 2005 3:26 am

I honestly think it could. I live 80km outside of Toronto and also have been to the USA and experienced a culture there. Generally, crime in the USA and Canada is very very very low by my standards. I am never afraid of doing anything at anytime. It is sooo different from Europe. Governments here, I truly believe, are one of the best in the world to guarantee people's safety. Well, that also has something to do with the fact that European society is much different from the North American one (USA and Canada, again). People here CARE - unlike in Europe. This helps the cops fight crime tremendously, and there is not much crime to begin with anyway. I hardly see cops in my little town and yet it's safe! It's as if the town would do allright without police being present here at all! Can you imagine that?

aahtuk Jun 6th 2005 3:30 am

Originally Posted by aahtuk
I honestly think it could. I live 80km outside of Toronto and also have been to the USA and experienced a culture there. Generally, crime in the USA and Canada is very very very low by my standards. I am never afraid of doing anything at anytime. It is sooo different from Europe. Governments here, I truly believe, are one of the best in the world to guarantee people's safety. Well, that also has something to do with the fact that European society is much different from the North American one (USA and Canada, again). People here CARE - unlike in Europe. This helps the cops fight crime tremendously, and there is not much crime to begin with anyway. I hardly see cops in my little town and yet it's safe! It's as if the town would do allright without police being present here at all! Can you imagine that?

Plus, with such amount of cash, you will easily afford a very very very nice house and will only have to make enough money to pay the bills and eat. And that's doable! You will not have to pay mortage or rent so your income doesn't have to be very large to maintain a high standard of living.

great46 Jun 6th 2005 1:45 pm

Thanks all!

Thats very encouraging, but now where do we begin? we have spent the last couple of years looking at going to New Zealand and visited there for a month, we do not feel it is the answer for us, so far away.
Our eldest son is now 11 and we really want to sort our lives out soon for his sake, does it really take up to three years and would we be totally mad to apply without visiting first?
We have no one in Canada to help us, we had my brother in law in New Zealand which really helped he could have got my husband work easily and I feel with Canada I really don't now where to begin?
I am so envious of people who have jobs to go to that would just be my ultimate dream come true.

PS. Anyone need a very good Kitchen and Bathroom fitter? (previously a Fitter Turner by trade) or an IKEA Kitchen planner (that's me)

Bozlyone Jun 7th 2005 4:49 am

Thanks all!

Thats very encouraging, but now where do we begin? we have spent the last couple of years looking at going to New Zealand and visited there for a month, we do not feel it is the answer for us, so far away.
Our eldest son is now 11 and we really want to sort our lives out soon for his sake, does it really take up to three years and would we be totally mad to apply without visiting first?
We have no one in Canada to help us, we had my brother in law in New Zealand which really helped he could have got my husband work easily and I feel with Canada I really don't now where to begin?
I am so envious of people who have jobs to go to that would just be my ultimate dream come true.

PS. Anyone need a very good Kitchen and Bathroom fitter? (previously a Fitter Turner by trade) or an IKEA Kitchen planner (that's me)

We have been here for 12 months now, and I must say that St Albert, just outside Edmonton in Alberta seems to fit your "Dream" nicely. We did have the advantage of having a job to come over to but if you want it so bad you will find a way:

Crime is very low, it makes me smile seeing the local paper reporting youths throwing eggs or stealing bikes from open garages !!! even these don't happen often

Houses are large and very cheap compared to UK - We got our 4 bed, full basement 2300 sq ft house for just over 100k GBP.

The community here is great and they accept you with open arms. A welcome person comes round with names of similar families and coupons for local stores - known as the "Welcome Wagon"

Schools are excellent

Facilities for the children are amazing, within a 10 mile radius you have 4 excellent swimming facilities, ice hockey rinks, indoor soccer, too many outdoor soccer and parks to mention, a rugby ground, soccer club, gymnastics martial arts etc etc, there is always plenty to do here.

If we had to write a list of what we wanted in an area it would be very similar to yours and being honest I don't think we could have found a nicer place.

There is also an Ikea in Edmonton !!!

Let me know if you want any more information on the area as I feel so proud of the community that we have been welcomed in to.

Alberta_Rose Jun 7th 2005 6:24 am

If you don't think you would get enough points for a skilled worker application it seems to me that you would have a good chance with a provincial nominee programme. Skilled trades-people are very much in demand from what I have heard, and the PNP is a relatively quick way of getting in!

It might be an idea for you to attend one of the emigration shows, where you could meet up with people who could help you.

As you yourself already work for IKEA, it may give you the opening to apply for one of their stores in Canada???

I would strongly suggest that you get yourselves out for a looksee tho! Look up Canadian Affair, or Zoom online for cheap flights. These chartered flights are hundreds of pounds cheaper than Air canada or BA, you can fly out to the East coast very cheaply, though the west side adds a bit more.

Good Luck!!! :D

Patsy Jun 7th 2005 11:58 am

Thanks all!

oooh a kitchen planner, i'll bear that in mind..i said to my husband last night as i walked 1/2 a mile down the room to get to the fridge... "who on earth designed the layout of this stupid kitchen?" He said "you!"

great46 Jun 7th 2005 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Bozlyone
We have been here for 12 months now, and I must say that St Albert, just outside Edmonton in Alberta seems to fit your "Dream" nicely. We did have the advantage of having a job to come over to but if you want it so bad you will find a way:

Crime is very low, it makes me smile seeing the local paper reporting youths throwing eggs or stealing bikes from open garages !!! even these don't happen often

Houses are large and very cheap compared to UK - We got our 4 bed, full basement 2300 sq ft house for just over 100k GBP.

The community here is great and they accept you with open arms. A welcome person comes round with names of similar families and coupons for local stores - known as the "Welcome Wagon"

Schools are excellent

Facilities for the children are amazing, within a 10 mile radius you have 4 excellent swimming facilities, ice hockey rinks, indoor soccer, too many outdoor soccer and parks to mention, a rugby ground, soccer club, gymnastics martial arts etc etc, there is always plenty to do here.

If we had to write a list of what we wanted in an area it would be very similar to yours and being honest I don't think we could have found a nicer place.

There is also an Ikea in Edmonton !!!

Let me know if you want any more information on the area as I feel so proud of the community that we have been welcomed in to.

It sounds GREAT!

How did you manage to get a job first?
Having a family it would be very hard to give up a good job here with no job to go to.

How have you found the winter my husband thinks I wont be able to cope with the cold.

I have looked at internal job vacancies in Canada but they want help with transferring you there.

I am sure your Ikea is much better than the one they opened in Edmonton UK. It had to be closed shortly after opening due to people getting stamped on, it was a disgrace.

great46 Jun 7th 2005 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Morwenna
If you don't think you would get enough points for a skilled worker application it seems to me that you would have a good chance with a provincial nominee programme. Skilled trades-people are very much in demand from what I have heard, and the PNP is a relatively quick way of getting in!

It might be an idea for you to attend one of the emigration shows, where you could meet up with people who could help you.

As you yourself already work for IKEA, it may give you the opening to apply for one of their stores in Canada???

I would strongly suggest that you get yourselves out for a looksee tho! Look up Canadian Affair, or Zoom online for cheap flights. These chartered flights are hundreds of pounds cheaper than Air canada or BA, you can fly out to the East coast very cheaply, though the west side adds a bit more.

Thanks!

We should have enough points as a skilled worker, it's the two to three years wait that's the problem.

My husband agrees we should go for a look, but it so vast I don't know where to start with a travel plan. I think we would have to pick an area with a slightly milder climate and obviously somewhere with good employment opportunities.

I am reading lots of post on here to try and learn as much as I can.

Patsy Jun 7th 2005 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Morwenna

Also IGLU offer really cheap flights to canada. Personally i hadnt heard of them until today. Maybe someone can inform me about them.....dont scare me tho!!

Edward de Par Jun 7th 2005 9:55 pm

Does "Igloo" have a website?

Patsy Jun 8th 2005 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Edward de Par
Does "Igloo" have a website?

yes www.iglucanada.com

Edward de Par Jun 9th 2005 3:06 am

Cheers!

seacreature Jun 9th 2005 4:21 am

Yes and No would be my answer!
You certainly won't encounter the revolting yob culture in Canada, however if you think you're going to earn UK wages here, FORGET IT! People who have good jobs here will ridicule me endlessly for saying this, but there is really no denying it. The work situation in Canada is utter rubbish. I'm glad for those who found great jobs here, but regardless of what they say they're not the norm. Even most Canadians I meet are fed up of the poor job prospects in Canada. Ironically many leave for the US and Europe to find work.

dbd33 Jun 9th 2005 11:11 am

Originally Posted by seacreature
Yes and No would be my answer!
You certainly won't encounter the revolting yob culture in Canada, however if you think you're going to earn UK wages here, FORGET IT! People who have good jobs here will ridicule me endlessly for saying this, but there is really no denying it. The work situation in Canada is utter rubbish. I'm glad for those who found great jobs here, but regardless of what they say they're not the norm. Even most Canadians I meet are fed up of the poor job prospects in Canada. Ironically many leave for the US and Europe to find work.

I don't think there's anything ironic about it. Canada is a sparsely populated country with an economy based on resources and branch plant manufacturing. The firms involved in resource extraction, Shell, Exxon, and so on are not based in Canada. The big manufacturers, GM, Chrysler, Honda and so on are not based in Canada. Any product sold in Canada is marketed to North America as a whole and, obviously, the sales effort concentrates on the areas of greatest population density, the rust belt, the sun belt, not the snow belt. The occupation employing most people in Canada is truck driver; it's all about hauling stuff away.

It is, of course, quite possible to make a living in Canada but, for an immigrant, it would be better to think of the move as being to a far flung corner of the American economy, like going to West Virginia or, in European terms, like going to Portugal. It's just not reasonable to think of a big empty country as having sidewalks paved with gold, for a start there just aren't that many sidewalks. Canada's nice and the pace is mellow but really it is a bit of an economic backwater. Either bring a demand skill, for example an actual trade; plumber, electrician, especially plasterer or get a job before coming.

SANDRAPAUL Jun 9th 2005 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
Canada's nice and the pace is mellow but really it is a bit of an economic backwater.

May I ask if you would be kind enough to put some bones on this statement out of curiosity?

dbd33 Jun 9th 2005 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL
May I ask if you would be kind enough to put some bones on this statement out of curiosity?

Not sure which half you're concerned with.

The mellow pace is reflected in the unhurried motion of the traffic, the lack of crowds and the way people drift along the sidewalk. It's seen in the pace of administrivia, everyone here is familiar with the speed at which immigation permits are issued; that's typical of things here, I guess the word is manana. This afternoon, for example, I'll chat with one of my lawyers about arranging a meeting to discuss a letter that arrived in March, we'll likely meet sometime over the summer. That's not a pace that would be acceptable in the US. I generally like the way nothing in Toronto seems to need doing this week but, from time to time, I miss the adrenaline rush one gets from the hustle and bustle of big cities.

I think I hit the economic bases already. I think the economy is based on natural resources and will be more so in the future. So long as the companies extracting the minerals are foreign, the major decisions affecting the economy will be made abroad. I think it's indirectly because of the branch plant economy that the measure of success for a Canadian is to have left. (The Irvings, the Blacks, not just Shania). Perhaps, rather than Portugal, I should have used Wales; a resource based economy and a place people come from rather than going to.

SANDRAPAUL Jun 9th 2005 3:22 pm

I think I hit the economic bases already. I think the economy is based on natural resources and will be more so in the future. So long as the companies extracting the minerals are foreign, the major decisions affecting the economy will be made abroad. I think it's indirectly because of the branch plant economy that the measure of success for a Canadian is to have left. (The Irvings, the Blacks, not just Shania). Perhaps, rather than Portugal, I should have used Wales; a resource based economy and a place people come from rather than going to.

Sorry - it was the backwater comment...

How do see the Canadian economy over the next 20-30 years as compared to the UK in particular and to a lesser degree Europe?

The wider view rather than the narrow 'I am not getting what I want or deserve' view if you may...

dbd33 Jun 9th 2005 4:00 pm

Sorry - it was the backwater comment...

How do see the Canadian economy over the next 20-30 years as compared to the UK in particular and to a lesser degree Europe?

The wider view rather than the narrow 'I am not getting what I want or deserve' view if you may...

I expect the Canadian economy will become even more resource based. I would think that in twenty years the oil sources just now being developed will account for most of the country's income, Alberta will continue to boom and, shock, horror, the long awaited Newfie boom might actually happen. Water will become an increasing important resource, Canada and the Great Lake States should be able to profit from the construction of all those cities in the desert. I think most white collar jobs will have been exported, I would think it very ill advised to learn computers or accounting now. I'd also be concerned about manufacturing jobs, I think they exist mainly due to some odd politics in the past, the auto pact in particular. It may well be that US policy changes so that it's no longer sensible for Asian car makers to locate their North American plants in Canada. I don't know what might happen to the UK or European economies, I don't really follow politics there anymore.

SANDRAPAUL Jun 9th 2005 4:54 pm

I think most white collar jobs will have been exported

Where to?

Also
The word backwater infers to me to be a slow, in the background/unseen (I assume worldwise), and to a degree recessive economy.

Still curious about the word.

Backwater....to what as a comparison?

One might call Greece as a backwater as relates to France/Germany or the UK in Europe...

To what does Canada become a backwater?

dbd33 Jun 9th 2005 4:57 pm

Where to?

Also
The word backwater infers to a slow, in the background (I assume worldwise), and to a degree recessive economy.

Still curious about the word.

Backwater....to what as a comparison?

One might call Greece as a backwater as relates to France/Germany or the UK in Europe...

The US, of course.

SANDRAPAUL Jun 9th 2005 5:14 pm

The US, of course.

Interesting comment. So the fact that the US is the biggest market for Canada due to two reasons as often economies are, cost and the ability to supply quickly due to geography, makes Canada a backwater. I wonder how many Canadians see themselves as a backwater to an economy that would only use their services if the quality, price and service was better than they could find at home....?

As Europe car producers be it local, or far eastern influenced, only do so if it suits their budget and profit accounts. Canada must be able to compete therefore as of now with the giants of the US as per workforce. Does that mean Canada is a backwater?

What I was also hoping for was comment on GDP per Capita, and balance of trade thoughts from someone residing in Canada.

Many people read Canadian residents (born or immigrant) thoughts and I often find little structure to comments made..no offence as you seem to do so, but I was hoping for a little more as per balance of books and the mid term outlook.

I have read in many areas that exports are outstripping imports and there is a growing trade surplus. You might appreciate that for such a small population the aspects as presented in stats seem very good....?

Bones and all that

dbd33 Jun 9th 2005 5:24 pm

As Europe car producers be it local, or far eastern influenced, only do so if it suits their budget and profit accounts. Canada must be able to compete therefore as of now with the giants of the US as per workforce. Does that mean Canada is a backwater?

I would think the compelling reasons to locate car factories in Canada are :

- low labour cost, compared to the US, primarily because of provincial heathcare schemes

- tariff barriers against vehicles imported to the US from other countries.

What this means is that the manufacture of cars in Canada is the result of government policies, not pure business factors. That being the case, a small shift in the political wind in Washington could wipe the industry out. It's not, in my judgment, an industry for the long term.

SANDRAPAUL Jun 9th 2005 5:30 pm

- low labour cost, compared to the US, primarily because of provincial heathcare schemes

What this means is that the manufacture of cars in Canada is the result of government policies, not pure business factors. That being the case, a small shift in the political wind in Washington could wipe the industry out. It's not, in my judgment, an industry for the long term.

Sorry. I should not have mentioned the car industry as you have homed in on that aspect which is natural as it relates....

Surely the wider view is of more importance in such a comment as a backwater.

Rover in the UK was up one minute propped up by the government and very unhealthy accounting it seems and down the next.

This isolated aspect does not paint the wider picture.

How long since you lived in Europe/UK?

dbd33 Jun 9th 2005 5:43 pm

Sorry. I should not have mentioned the car industry as you have homed in on that aspect which is natural as it relates....

Surely the wider view is of more importance in such a comment as a backwater.

Rover in the UK was up one minute propped up by the government and very unhealthy accounting it seems and down the next.

This isolated aspect does not paint the wider picture.

How long since you lived in Europe/UK?

I haven't lived in the UK since 1981 but I do some business there. I talk to clients in the UK every day and visit a couple of times a year.

SANDRAPAUL Jun 9th 2005 6:10 pm

I haven't lived in the UK since 1981 but I do some business there. I talk to clients in the UK every day and visit a couple of times a year.

OK. You seem to cover the last point each time.

Thanks anyway.

Paul

iaink Jun 9th 2005 6:19 pm

I wonder how many Canadians see themselves as a backwater to an economy that would only use their services if the quality, price and service was better than they could find at home....?

I'm canadian (when it suits me of course) and I would have to agree that compared to the US economy "International Shipping Lane" Canada is indeed a backwater. If the US economy sneezes, Canada gets pneumonia requiring hospitalization. There is no escaping the fact that Canada is very dependent economically on our neighbours to the South, but with the natural resources and energy up here they are also dependent on us to some extent, so its a win win situation. Kind of like those fish that hang out with the whales cleaning up the parasites! Most of the canadians I talk to realise this and dont rock the boat.

dbd33 Jun 9th 2005 6:21 pm

OK. You seem to cover the last point each time.

Thanks anyway.

Paul

Sorry, I thought I was answering a direct question.

iaink Jun 9th 2005 6:24 pm

Actually car factories are being located here partly because its a way around NAFTA tarrifs, but also in a large part because the canadian workforce has proven itself to be more productive and more quality oriented than the US counterpart. Even in the CAW / UAW unionised plants.

Even the assembly plants in the US are utilising a very high % of canadian made components, and Auto makers moving at the geological speeds they do would be extremely resistant to having to qualify and replace there entire supply base on a political whim. Mexico is i suppose a factor in the equation, with some production heading that way, but to date it has not really competed in terms of either productivity or quality.

I guess it hasnt been a long term prospect since the thirties when the first plants started up in Windsor?

dbd33 Jun 9th 2005 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
Actually car factories are being located here partly because its a way around NAFTA tarrifs, but also in a large part because the canadian workforce has proven itself to be more productive and more quality oriented than the US counterpart. Even in the CAW / UAW unionised plants.

More productive, I'll agree. That is, they produce more cars for n dollars but that's because the US workers get health benefits and the cost is crippling. I deal a lot with a US based MNC that makes things, not cars but any good things that need bringing to life. They've moved their computing to India, their factories to China and their accounting to Mexico. The driving force for this relocation is healthcare premiums, not salaries. People who have no, or state funded healthcare, are dramatically cheaper to employ. Car manufacturers face tariff barriers at the moment so Canada's a better bet, for some, than the US. Eventually though I think the Hispanic lobby in the US will become powerful enough that the government will shift policies so as to move more jobs from Canada to Mexico and south. As with most things economic, I don't think it much matters what Canadians want, "sleeping with an elephant" and all that.

ontres Jun 10th 2005 12:28 am

Originally Posted by KHutchison
Yes, your dream could come true in Canada. My wife is sponsoring me into Canada and I can't wait, both to leave the UK and all the crap you mentioned behind me and to go to somewhere with 4 seasons, friendly people and a low crime rate. I can't speak for the whole of Canada of course, but the areas of Ontario I've been to made feel "at home".
Kev.

Some say there are only two seasons in Canada - winter, and July 1st!

flashman Jun 10th 2005 12:47 am

Originally Posted by iaink
I'm canadian (when it suits me of course) and I would have to agree that compared to the US economy "International Shipping Lane" Canada is indeed a backwater. If the US economy sneezes, Canada gets pneumonia requiring hospitalization. There is no escaping the fact that Canada is very dependent economically on our neighbours to the South, but with the natural resources and energy up here they are also dependent on us to some extent, so its a win win situation. Kind of like those fish that hang out with the whales cleaning up the parasites! Most of the canadians I talk to realise this and dont rock the boat.

It looks like this situation is going to change in the future though. India and China are now showing an interest in Canadian resources so the US may not be the only customer.

SANDRAPAUL Jun 10th 2005 8:10 am

Originally Posted by flashman
It looks like this situation is going to change in the future though. India and China are now showing an interest in Canadian resources so the US may not be the only customer.

Perhaps I am being naive. I have been thinking about this for some time. From a laymans terms Canada seems to have better long-term prospects than many westernised countries being that the economy has a broader base and more variety as relates to options to create an income. As you all may guess from my 'rubbish' the UK in particular has become transfixed on finance as being the main breadwinner for the country. Huge amounts are made from Mortgages, Loans, Credit Cards and to a certain extent controlling and investing in other countries finance sectors - particularly third world ones. On top of this unless you are prepared to work for very low wages individuals need to be skilled with the head rather than the hands. Large numbers are leaving school with little or no qualifications and remaning on state aid benefits adding to the burden of those who are working. Perhaps this is common in all countries?

We are but one couple and have perhaps another 20-25 years to find an income. Our children require more like 40-45 years. As regards grandchildren who knows.

My wife often reminds me that we decided to try somewhere new for many reasons other than money. But...it always lurks in the back of my mind - are we doing the right thing for our children?

Thats all...hence my questions.

I guess its suck it and see...

If we get accepted the acception is a two way thing. We might like our new life but will Canada like us?

great46 Jun 10th 2005 8:48 am

It's seems we have gone a little off track from my original post :) , however I am very interested in all of your comments.

Obviously I want a better life for my family now but also a better future for them too, the future prospects of the Country we settle in are very important.

Our experience of the UK is that my husband worked for 16 years in the car manufacturing industry (prototyphe vehicle technician) and took voluntary redundancy last year as yet another FORD plant closed :mad: It was a very hard time, my husband had thought he had a job for life with good pension etc....he could have been transfered but we felt that it was only a matter of time before that came to and end too so we took the MONEY ;) while there was some left!

I wanted him to work for himself as he is brilliant at all aspects of DIY and had completely renovated our 1930's home. He was very nervous of this idea so searched the net so see what job opportunities there where and for him it was bleak, there are hundreds of very low paid jobs! everyone has the idea that you can earn big bucks in the UK and some people can but not everyone!
My husband was a Fitter Turner by trade (no call for that anymore in the UK) and had a specialised job in car manufacturing for 16 years (no call for that anymore in the UK) Fortunately he listened to me in the end as all men should listen to their better half......................ha ha. and does earn very good money fitting kitchens, bathrooms etc. However as I mentioned previously I work for Ikea and we have an awful lot of University kids with degrees working there, I don't want my boys to go to University in the UK and then end up working in a shop! No offence to anyone working in a shop (I do ).

The employment situation in Canada is something that I am trying to find out about and reading most stuff on here seems not so good. However given my husbands experience/trade would that alter the perspective a little????

Souvenir Jun 10th 2005 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Patsy
Also IGLU offer really cheap flights to canada. Personally i hadnt heard of them until today. Maybe someone can inform me about them.....dont scare me tho!!

I'd never heard of these people until I read this post yesterday. Then my brother called to tell me that he's looking at getting a cheap flight with them. Hidden away in the FAQ section of their website are brief references to Servisair and Zoom. I don't think the former flies to the UK, not to LGW, anyway. The Iglu flights my bro mentioned are indeed Zoom flights (I cross-checked).

Just thought I'd mention it.