Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

My business propositions so far

My business propositions so far

Old Jul 16th 2012, 5:36 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My business propositions so far

Originally Posted by MillieF
Apologies, I hadn't seen Piff Poffs response with regard to anchovies.

I'm a ball girl myself, but only on my pits! But I liked the ball/aerosol joke
Um where else would you put it .............
Old Jul 16th 2012, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

For those that missed it in another thread

Substitutes already have been found for certain uses of chlorofluorocarbons. In 1980 Canada banned their use as propellants in consumer items such as hair sprays, deodorants and antiperspirants.

Plus you have the option of opening up a business and selling this stuff we Brits miss and love to whine about. Thousands will be flocking to your store to pay several dollars for a bottle of Robinsons squash or a real Cadburys dipped flake or a jar of Branston pickle. Set up an internet web based mail order so they dont have to travel. With the very cheap rates of postage over here Im sure you will make a killing.
There again others may have tried this before and spent a shed load of money getting the stuff but nobody buys it because of the price you have to sell it at to make a profit.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

You can get the aerosols from Loblaws but none of them has anti-perspirant. They just deodorise.
I suspect there must be a law banning anti-perspirant in this country

EDIT: Former Lancastrian posted it above, duh
Old Jul 16th 2012, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Thousands will be flocking to your store to pay several dollars for a bottle of Robinsons squash or a real Cadburys dipped flake or a jar of Branston pickle. Set up an internet web based mail order so they dont have to travel. With the very cheap rates of postage over here Im sure you will make a killing.
There again others may have tried this before and spent a shed load of money getting the stuff but nobody buys it because of the price you have to sell it at to make a profit.
Bulk Barn here in Ontario sells imported Cadbury flakes and lots of other British goodies like Rowntrees, Fox biscuits, Tunnocks caramel at very reasonable prices
Old Jul 16th 2012, 11:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SambaDeAmigo
Bulk Barn here in Ontario sells imported Cadbury flakes and lots of other British goodies like Rowntrees, Fox biscuits, Tunnocks caramel at very reasonable prices
Define reasonable prices
Have you ever checked their expiry dates?
Fortunately Ive been here that long that those cravings for all things British no longer play an important role in my day to day life in Canada. I can buy them or even have relatives mail them if I so wish but TBH after 24 years over here I dont miss them so have no need to bitch and whine about these things
Sure I would like cheaper auto insurance, a bank that doesnt charge this and that fee, the ability to fly cheaply for a weekend getaway, etc etc
but we also have other advantages by living here that UK residents find hard.
Im happy here others arent just like people are happy in the UK and others arent.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 12:30 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Define reasonable prices
Have you ever checked their expiry dates?
Fortunately Ive been here that long that those cravings for all things British no longer play an important role in my day to day life in Canada. I can buy them or even have relatives mail them if I so wish but TBH after 24 years over here I dont miss them so have no need to bitch and whine about these things
Sure I would like cheaper auto insurance, a bank that doesnt charge this and that fee, the ability to fly cheaply for a weekend getaway, etc etc
but we also have other advantages by living here that UK residents find hard.
Im happy here others arent just like people are happy in the UK and others arent.
My sentiments too. Life is too short to be concerned about such minor things.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 1:00 pm
Cheesy Grin :-)

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light

We've only been here just under two weeks....am yet to get 'the cravings' **you have to say that like it's the trailer for a horror movie**......maybe I will, maybe I won't. My thoughts are it's too blinking hot to even contemplate eating chocolate! I quite like looking at all the new things and trying them out. Would still like to see more reasonably priced face creams though.....I'm a Nivea Q10 girl in the UK. I don't use it because it promises crease free skin or the face of an angel within 10 weeks of using it, I just use it because it agrees with my super sensitive skin. Have yet to see it for under $22 a pot; when you're used to paying £12 for two at my beloved Boots, it stings somewhat. I suppose I'll find an alternative in time though. That's why we post on here so somebody lovely will come along and say 'you can get 2 pots of Nivea Q10 at ...... for $10'. Now that would be nice.

Last edited by Dotty P; Jul 16th 2012 at 1:15 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 2:11 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dotty P
We've only been here just under two weeks....am yet to get 'the cravings' **you have to say that like it's the trailer for a horror movie**......maybe I will, maybe I won't. My thoughts are it's too blinking hot to even contemplate eating chocolate! I quite like looking at all the new things and trying them out. Would still like to see more reasonably priced face creams though.....I'm a Nivea Q10 girl in the UK. I don't use it because it promises crease free skin or the face of an angel within 10 weeks of using it, I just use it because it agrees with my super sensitive skin. Have yet to see it for under $22 a pot; when you're used to paying £12 for two at my beloved Boots, it stings somewhat. I suppose I'll find an alternative in time though. That's why we post on here so somebody lovely will come along and say 'you can get 2 pots of Nivea Q10 at ...... for $10'. Now that would be nice.
12 pots for $16.99 http://www.ebay.ca/itm/12-Nivea-Visa...ht_3330wt_1265 or try www.well.ca

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 16th 2012 at 2:20 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 2:51 pm

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by siouxie
Siouxie, I love you.....

12 pots! Do you think they're knock off fakes? Maybe, for that money, I should just order and see what happens....

See, I knew somebody lovely would come along!! Thanks sooooo much.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Siouxie, I love you.....

12 pots! Do you think they're knock off fakes? Maybe, for that money, I should just order and see what happens....

You can always trash her later after having bought the items and finding that your skin now has a yellowish hue to it with blotches here and there
Old Jul 16th 2012, 3:25 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Siouxie, I love you.....

I had a look at the offer and, while probably still a good deal, you need to add shipping costs of C$7. You should pay through PayPal and if they happen to be fakes you can get your money back.

PS. I wasn't looking to buy any as I hide most of my wrinkles behind a beard.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dozzpot
1. Car insurance
Open a company offering premiums at half the going rates and I don't see how you can go wrong. It's not like everyone drives like idiots and beyond me why it is so expensive.
Whilst part of the cost is down to high rates of claims, fraud etc, I get the distinct impression that the largest part of the difference from, say, the UK is down to extra regulations. Canada is a large enough market that if there was an obvious killing to be made, I'm fairly sure one of the large international insurance firms would have done it by now.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 3:49 pm

You can always trash her later after having bought the items and finding that your skin now has a yellowish hue to it with blotches here and there
Yeah....watch this space.....I'll be after you Siouxie if that happens
Old Jul 16th 2012, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
I had a look at the offer and, while probably still a good deal, you need to add shipping costs of C$7. You should pay through PayPal and if they happen to be fakes you can get your money back.

PS. I wasn't looking to buy any as I hide most of my wrinkles behind a beard.

Good point AY.....well it may be worth having a look. I looked at reviews for the seller and they seem to be okay, except the creams are actually sample size so a little misleading. I still think they'd be a cheaper way to go mind....

It must be lovely being a bloke....so easy....

Just looked at that ebay seller again.....apparently they are .34oz each and in total they come to 3oz, which looking at their conversion chart is under 100ml? I'm a maths putz so maybe I'm wrong but anyway....not the dream buy I'd hoped for. Siouxie, I still appreciate you helping me. Bit disappointed now though......**slopes away, shoulders drooped**

Last edited by Dotty P; Jul 16th 2012 at 4:02 pm. Reason: additional info
Old Jul 16th 2012, 3:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgagitw
Whilst part of the cost is down to high rates of claims, fraud etc, I get the distinct impression that the largest part of the difference from, say, the UK is down to extra regulations. Canada is a large enough market that if there was an obvious killing to be made, I'm fairly sure one of the large international insurance firms would have done it by now.
- Canada is not one market as regards car insurance. In some provinces, BC and AB, the coverage that private insurers can offer is limited and the premiums regulated. In some provinces, the Atlantic ones, there are myriad regulatory changes (outlawing discrimination by sex, outlawing use of credit rating as a price determinate and so on) at such frequency as to make the market unviable for many companies and so limiting the choice of carrier. Similarly the dicking around with the sales tax on car policies in MB is currently causing carriers to consider withdrawing from that market. Is the degree of regulation in these markets worse than that in the EU? It depends on the country.

- The car insurers in Canada, such as, Aviva, RSA, State Farm are large international insurance firms. They have worse loss ratios in Canada because people in Canada crash more often and like to sue each other. This is the case in comparison to the US, where premiums are less than a quarter of Canadian ones, and in comparison to most other markets. South Africa being the best known example of a worse market for car insurance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.