Wikiposts

My Big Mouth

Old Jul 14th 2005, 3:28 am
Vi

rossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy My Big Mouth

Hi Everyone
Me and my big mouth................
We have our house on the market at the moment and have had several viewings and some offers all way below our asking price.
I made the mistake of telling my buyers we were immigrating to Canda and as their response seemed very positive at the time of viewing asking if i would consider selling other items in my home etc.i thought i done the right thing .........but guess what they all put offers in and every offer way below the asking price........all offering cash for a quick sale.
I am not a mean person and a reasonable offer would be fine but i cant beleve the sheer nerve of these people............
The houses in our area ''a small conservation village'' are all different styles but all very nice homes ''ours included.
Oh how i wish i hadnt mentioned Canada..........so we are starting all over again with another agent..............mouth closed this time in the hope we can get a reasonable price for our home and our new start in Canada.
I havent slept well for ages thinking about things and my stressl levels are rising..........God I Hate All This.
Anyone else going through the same? Vi.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 3:37 am
Just Joined

Susie P. is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My Big Mouth

Originally Posted by rossandvi
Hi Everyone
We have our house on the market at the moment and have had several viewings and some offers all way below our asking price.
I made the mistake of telling my buyers we were immigrating to Canda and as their response seemed very positive at the time of viewing asking if i would consider selling other items in my home etc.i thought i done the right thing .........but guess what they all put offers in and every offer way below the asking price........all offering cash for a quick sale.
I am not a mean person and a reasonable offer would be fine but i cant beleve the sheer nerve of these people............
The houses in our area ''a small conservation village'' are all different styles but all very nice homes ''ours included.
Oh how i wish i hadnt mentioned Canada..........so we are starting all over again with another agent..............mouth closed this time in the hope we can get a reasonable price for our home and our new start in Canada.
I havent slept well for ages thinking about things and my stressl levels are rising..........God I Hate All This.
Hi,

we've taken our house off the market temporarily! We had one offer in our two months of marketing, which was below the asking price but we were just about willing to accept it. They then said they wanted us to move out by the end of August or else pay their own buyers' furniture storage fees - they said they wanted our house as they figured we "could move quickly", since we were emigrating! We had originally thought of moving into a rented place while we waited for our visas, but we're now so close to getting them (we hope! - medicals tomorrow) that we really don't want to move out and then do it all again in two or three months. We figured the only thing to do was take it off the market for a little while, and try again in a couple of months...I hate it too! I wish we'd sold up last year instead, when the prices were higher too, and then we wouldn't have this worry...

Susie
Old Jul 14th 2005, 4:16 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone
That's a classic mistake, so don't feel too dumb about it. Never, ever, give potential buyers any bargaining power. The "why are you selling?" question is a trap.

You're paying the estate agent to sell your house. They should be doing the showings, not you. If I may make a suggestion, next time you sign up an agent, make it a condition that they, not you, show people round it.

When I sold my last house in Canada, it was pretty well understood that the agent would call me to advise that a visit was coming up and that I would then get the hell out of the way.

Under no circumstances, ever, ever, ever, should you be there when a survey/inspection is taking place.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 4:41 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Under no circumstances, ever, ever, ever, should you be there when a survey/inspection is taking place.
That is excellent advice.

Susie, I see from your profile that you homeschool, so I'm sure it would be an even greater nuisance for you to follow Souvenir's advice than it would be for most people. I believe it would be worth the trouble, though, because it would increase the effectiveness of the efforts to sell your house.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 4:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't always mean a lower offer, I suppose it depends where you are.

We sold for full asking price after 3wks (well, you don't disclose the asking price in Scotland, it went way above "offers over" and was exactly what we hoped for!) and were totally honest about where we were going. We also got rid of stuff like the rear projection telly, big american fridge (which despite being a Maytag was only european voltage!), cheapo Ikea sofa...etc etc to our buyer. It was a win-win.

And no way would I have wanted a (british) agent doing showings. They don't know my home, the features to talk up, they couldn't answer questions like I could. I think I did a much better job. But yep, weird on looking round houses in Canada that we never got the chance to meet and grill the owners.

Best of luck with your new agent Vi

Biiiiink

Last edited by Biiiiink; Jul 14th 2005 at 5:01 am.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 4:49 am
Just Joined

paddyirish is an unknown quantity at this point

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!
dont talk to me about selling houses we've just had to drop ours £15.000 from asking price, we ended up having to cancel the contract with the estate agents, my kids would have made a better job of it, no disrespect to all you estate agents out there, but what do you actually do for your money? we had 2 viewings in eight weeks not one of them offered any where near what we we're advised to sell for, i just feel they wasted our precious time. the viewers we had wanted to buy everything but the house once they knew we we're going to canada, at rock bottom prices may i add. one cheeky guy offered me £500 to clear the house, so i told him where to get off and took the house off the market.
we did find some one privately in the end and hope to complete the sale in two weeks, so keep your fingers crossed it all goes smoothly, and keep at it, it pays off in the end.
michelle
Old Jul 14th 2005, 5:06 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
And no way would I have wanted a (british) agent doing showings. They don't know my home, the features to talk up, they couldn't answer questions like I could.
Biiiiink
Oh yeah 100% correct and UK agents don't actually "sell" houses, they sell viewings and spend money on media ads. And have grotty little minimum wage office bods pestering people all day - all very sloppy and unprofessional from our experience. The agents themselves aren't actually interested. Like, fancy leaving a negotiation process to a new member of office staff

Couldn't give away shoes to the homeless, most of 'em. More madness:

#1 the agent who refused to accept a lower offer when we had advised them it was in our range and to accept it.
#2 the agent who despite having a buyer with an offer, deferred it to our new agent who wasn't 'active' til 2 weeks time and agent #1 lost the commission.
#3 the agent that sends unqualified buyers with house not yet on the market round, despite being told 'no losers/timewasters please'.
#4 the agent who told our friends viewings that they were emigrating, when they were actually on holiday in Spain for a week.

etc etc the above are not urban myths either.

Grrrr. Total waste of DNA.

Rich.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 5:15 am
Vi

rossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Susie P.
Hi,

we've taken our house off the market temporarily! We had one offer in our two months of marketing, which was below the asking price but we were just about willing to accept it. They then said they wanted us to move out by the end of August or else pay their own buyers' furniture storage fees - they said they wanted our house as they figured we "could move quickly", since we were emigrating! We had originally thought of moving into a rented place while we waited for our visas, but we're now so close to getting them (we hope! - medicals tomorrow) that we really don't want to move out and then do it all again in two or three months. We figured the only thing to do was take it off the market for a little while, and try again in a couple of months...I hate it too! I wish we'd sold up last year instead, when the prices were higher too, and then we wouldn't have this worry...
Susie
Hi Susie
Thanks for your reply and i wish you luck in the sale of your house we just have to keep trying i guess Vi.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 5:18 am
Vi

Originally Posted by Souvenir
That's a classic mistake, so don't feel too dumb about it. Never, ever, give potential buyers any bargaining power. The "why are you selling?" question is a trap.

You're paying the estate agent to sell your house. They should be doing the showings, not you. If I may make a suggestion, next time you sign up an agent, make it a condition that they, not you, show people round it.

When I sold my last house in Canada, it was pretty well understood that the agent would call me to advise that a visit was coming up and that I would then get the hell out of the way.

Hi
Thank you for your reply.......... afraid things are very diferent here. The owner does the show rounds and the estate agent does very little.
We pay to advertise our property they sit in their office and wait .
Its a nightmare here . Vi
Old Jul 14th 2005, 5:19 am
Vi

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
It doesn't always mean a lower offer, I suppose it depends where you are.

We sold for full asking price after 3wks (well, you don't disclose the asking price in Scotland, it went way above "offers over" and was exactly what we hoped for!) and were totally honest about where we were going. We also got rid of stuff like the rear projection telly, big american fridge (which despite being a Maytag was only european voltage!), cheapo Ikea sofa...etc etc to our buyer. It was a win-win.

And no way would I have wanted a (british) agent doing showings. They don't know my home, the features to talk up, they couldn't answer questions like I could. I think I did a much better job. But yep, weird on looking round houses in Canada that we never got the chance to meet and grill the owners.

Best of luck with your new agent Vi

Biiiiink
Thank you for your best wishes we willkeep our fingers crossed. Vi
Old Jul 14th 2005, 5:22 am
Vi

Originally Posted by paddyirish
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!
dont talk to me about selling houses we've just had to drop ours £15.000 from asking price, we ended up having to cancel the contract with the estate agents, my kids would have made a better job of it, no disrespect to all you estate agents out there, but what do you actually do for your money? we had 2 viewings in eight weeks not one of them offered any where near what we we're advised to sell for, i just feel they wasted our precious time. the viewers we had wanted to buy everything but the house once they knew we we're going to canada, at rock bottom prices may i add. one cheeky guy offered me £500 to clear the house, so i told him where to get off and took the house off the market.
we did find some one privately in the end and hope to complete the sale in two weeks, so keep your fingers crossed it all goes smoothly, and keep at it, it pays off in the end.
michelle
FINGERS CROSSED FOR YOU.........Vi.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 5:24 am
Vi

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Oh yeah 100% correct and UK agents don't actually "sell" houses, they sell viewings and spend money on media ads. And have grotty little minimum wage office bods pestering people all day - all very sloppy and unprofessional from our experience. The agents themselves aren't actually interested. Like, fancy leaving a negotiation process to a new member of office staff

Couldn't give away shoes to the homeless, most of 'em. More madness:

#1 the agent who refused to accept a lower offer when we had advised them it was in our range and to accept it.
#2 the agent who despite having a buyer with an offer, deferred it to our new agent who wasn't 'active' til 2 weeks time and agent #1 lost the commission.
#3 the agent that sends unqualified buyers with house not yet on the market round, despite being told 'no losers/timewasters please'.
#4 the agent who told our friends viewings that they were emigrating, when they were actually on holiday in Spain for a week.

etc etc the above are not urban myths either.

Grrrr. Total waste of DNA.

Rich.
Couldnt agree more..........Vi
Old Jul 14th 2005, 5:28 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Thank you for your reply.......... afraid things are very diferent here. The owner does the show rounds and the estate agent does very little.
We pay to advertise our property they sit in their office and wait .
Its a nightmare here . Vi
Why use an agent then ? Why not create a website for the house and stick up a "for sale by owner" sign.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Why not create a website for the house and stick up a "for sale by owner" sign.
I've seen claims that Tesco are planning to do something like that in the not too distant future: they advertise your house on the web for a fixed fee, you sell the house.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 5:37 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
I've seen claims that Tesco are planning to do something like that in the not too distant future: they advertise your house on the web for a fixed fee, you sell the house.
It's not uncommon here, there are services that offer web space e.g. http://www.forsalebyowner.com/ and some people create a site just for the house. In demand areas though a sign on the lawn would be enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.